OMG I'M NORMAL FOR NOW!

mallins

Hi everyone

Well after sounding off a few weeks back about not being able to stick to the 8 week blood sugar diet and only lasting 4 weeks on it. I decided to just cut back on the carbs and try to stick to a LCHF diet and my diabetic portion plate. Today I have just had my results from my 3 monthly blood tests and my bloods were 5.4 down from 8.5 and my cholesterol is down to 4 from 5.5. I know I'm not cured and I will always have to watch things but hey this will do me for now! feeling well chuffed!

I'm still going away for weekends and eating out but I'm trying to be careful with my food choices. I just hope I can keep it up.

Cheers

Mallins

Reactions: 9 people

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Great result on your hba1c - well done on gaining control, it's always so pleasing to hear of people's triumphs.

Reactions: 4 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Absolutely wonderful news, I'm really pleased for you.

Reactions: 6 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
I'm a bit late but tremendous news and very well done. Keep on top of it and don't get complacent

Congratulations
Cheers

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi well done from me too you must be so pleased with yourself. I get my results back this week can not wait.:happy:

mallins

Hi everyone thank you all for your comments and support. I have to say that I'm still trying to get my head around the LCHF diet not so much the low carb part but the high fat part especially having been told for years to follow a low fat diet and have been doing that for years to no avail. It was such a surprise to me having followed the LCHF diet that in fact my cholesterol had fallen from 5.5 to 4. Mind you I'm still having to take cholesterol lowering tablets because I've had a suspected TIA. When I asked my diabetes nurse if I could come off the metformin since I've managed to get the old sugar levels down she said it wasn't a good idea as it protects your heart and wants me to keep on them.

Anyway I just wanted to say a big thank you to you all for your comments.

Cheers Mallins

Reactions: 6 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I'm with you mallins! The "fat" part is the aspect I find most challenging, for exactly the same reasons.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It took me ages to get my head around it, but now it's completely second nature. I used to use a lot of Olive Oil, extra virgin, straight from the press. I suppose I still do, we bring 10litres back with us from Spain to last May to October and I suppose that's a lot by any standards, but now we also use a lot of grass fed butter and good quality lard. We buy some from acorn fed Iberican pigs, interestingly enough it's called Mantequilla Cerdo Iberico (Butter from Iberican Pork) - and it tastes delicious. I try to eat Coconut Oil, but in other than Thai style food I find the flavour just not quite right! I totally avoid corn oil, seed oils and margarine - give me a natural product that we have been eating for centuries any time. And free of the influence of the big food manufacturers and their marketing.

Reactions: 4 people

mallins

It took me ages to get my head around it, but now it's completely second nature. I used to use a lot of Olive Oil, extra virgin, straight from the press. I suppose I still do, we bring 10litres back with us from Spain to last May to October and I suppose that's a lot by any standards, but now we also use a lot of grass fed butter and good quality lard. We buy some from acorn fed Iberican pigs, interestingly enough it's called Mantequilla Cerdo Iberico (Butter from Iberican Pork) - and it tastes delicious. I try to eat Coconut Oil, but in other than Thai style food I find the flavour just not quite right! I totally avoid corn oil, seed oils and margarine - give me a natural product that we have been eating for centuries any time. And free of the influence of the big food manufacturers and their marketing.
I will have to look out for that butter next time I'm at my home in Spain. I've had the acorn fed Iberican ham and that is delicious but I haven't come across the butter when I've been out there. We usually bring loads of olive oil home too. The thing is because I've been programmed for years to eat everything low fat and diet this I feel really guilty if I put anything in my mouth that has fat in it how bad is that! Having received the good bloods and cholesterol results using the LCHF diet I'm going to keep with it and finally enjoy my butter again!

Cheers Mallins

Reactions: 2 people

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ahh, where abouts in Spain are you? We're Costa Almeria, wonderful desert Olive Oil just inland from us. I certainly would not have even 1% concern about lashings of Olive Oil, even the fat phobic accept that Monosaturates are actually good got us!

mallins

Ahh, where abouts in Spain are you? We're Costa Almeria, wonderful desert Olive Oil just inland from us. I certainly would not have even 1% concern about lashings of Olive Oil, even the fat phobic accept that Monosaturates are actually good got us!
We're in the Costa Azahar a place called Torre Blanca which is a very Spanish resort about 1hr from Valencia. I should probably try to stay out there for longer periods as they say their diet is better for you. I have to say the local market is fantastic for fresh fruit and veg so having loads of salads is not a problem with fresh local fish and meat I don't know if it is the hot climate but everything just tastes better. (probably psychological)! We hope to get out there in June.

Cheers Mallins

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ahh, we're about 2 hours South of Alicante, you're North of Valencia? We normally stay at Navajas on our way North, that's near Segorbe. I just love old fashioned Spanish towns. And yes, the fresh food makes our diet a pleasure! We won't go back till late October.