Victoza (Liraglutide) - weight loss?

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Just a quick question, search function seems to throw up old threads.

Is anyone who is currently being prescribed this particular med found they have had any kind of significant weight loss? If so, is it due to reduced appetite? I know it is now licensed as a weight loss medication, as well as for diabetes.

Ta.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I,m on victoza and am supposed to lose weight but I have, t

AnandaUK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm on it and I've lost at least two stone since I started it, but I don't feel like it is suppressing my appetite at all, I'm hungry all the time.

Reactions: 2 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm on it and I've lost at least two stone since I started it, but I don't feel like it is suppressing my appetite at all, I'm hungry all the time.

Thanks folks. Amanda, how do you think the weight has come off, are you eating less despite being hungry?

AnandaUK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thanks folks. Amanda, how do you think the weight has come off, are you eating less despite being hungry?
It's not Amanda :D (happens all the time, don't worry). And yes, eating less. I usually have a slim and save shake for breakfast and sometimes lunch as well, and keep dinner low cal and low carb. I've lost 5 stone overall since diagnosis, 2 of that since I went on Victoza in August. I'm hoping when I go for my next consultant appointment I can come off it as my last A1c (last week) was 40.0.

Reactions: 2 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The NICE guidelines say it's generally prescribed as an alternative to insulin and cites considerations like BMI (35+) or possible weight gain as being the two main reasons why someone wouldn't go straight to insulin.

So weight loss would generally be considered a success in most instances when it is prescribed.

ellroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i havent noticed it affecting my hunger other than at first and hasnt made me lose weight. I need to lose 3kg and reduce a1c by 1%, in 6 months, in order to continue taking it.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for the replies, Ananda, it wasn't me, promise! Stupid predictive text tsk.
Liraglutide is something I'm !ooking at to help me lose the 16lbs or so Ive put on since December - after losing so much before, I really can't deal with gains. I've some experience of it as my daughter was taking it a few years back.
I do have good control of my BG though and dont want to drop it too !ow.

Ta folks x

Gunn3rs6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Is anyone who is currently being prescribed this particular med found they have had any kind of significant weight loss? If so, is it due to reduced appetite? I know it is now licensed as a weight loss medication, as well as for diabetes.

Ta.

Hi ladybird64 i have been on a medical trial since December were i have lariglatide along with my normal insulin on a daily basis. It does make u feel more full than you usually would but as far as significant weight loss in my case i have lost weight but not a lot over the last few months. I was around 62kg before i started using it and currently i am 58.6kg.
About my appetite before December i always had a big appetite for a skinny fella, in the first couple weeks of the start of the lariglatide i did have a smaller appetite but after the couple of weeks it was more or less back to normal.

Gunn3rs6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Ta.

Hi ladybird64 i have been on a medical trial since December were i have lariglatide along with my normal insulin on a daily basis. It does make u feel more full than you usually would but as far as significant weight loss in my case i have lost weight but not a lot over the last few months. I was around 62kg before i started using it and currently i am 58.6kg.
About my appetite before December i always had a big appetite for a skinny fella, in the first couple weeks of the start of the lariglatide i did have a smaller appetite but after the couple of weeks it was more or less back to normal.