Low carb flax bread.

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haven't got round to making this yet, but, it will be made over Easter most definitely. Excited :)

Sutherlandlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Made my loaf tonight, it's cooling under a teatowel, hopefully won't dry out too quickly?! Looking forward to having some with breakfast in the morning :)
It didn't rise a lot, I omitted the herbs, added a little extra water.. too hot to have a slice just now, to see the texture, but it smells lovely and looks more like a loaf than other bread recipes that I have tried :) will let you know what it's like after breakfast...

Sutherlandlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ede148ccab176714bb2a489ebd8ae8b7.jpg

Turned out really well, tastes great, looks a bit dense but it's lovely and light! Happy happy happy, thanks for sharing ☺

Reactions: 7 people

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That looks amazing - well done! What size tin did you use? It looks more "loafy" than mine!

Sutherlandlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That looks amazing - well done! What size tin did you use? It looks more "loafy" than mine!
I used a 20x10.5cm silicone loaf mold. As I have got further into the loaf, I can see it's not completely cooked in the middle, so I reckon another 5-10 mins, checking at 5 min intervals, should do it. I cooked this one in my fan oven at 170 degrees for 30 mins. :)

dukidoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
Thanks RobPL ,made your bread yesterday and had 2 slices for breakfast ,delicious .Had 1 toasted and smelt a bit eggy ,so with a slice of bacon ...... Yumm.
I bought the milled flaxseed at Holland and Barnett ,buy 1 get 1at 1/2 price so will be cooking again soon

Reactions: 2 people

eldergarth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
marmite peanut butter
I just made this. It's not bad and less than 10 carbs for the whole loaf.
It's not very high so I'm going to try it next with a smaller but taller tin.
Would anyone like the recipe?
25aa17d9912fd03b4c7f0027fb419037.jpg
Thanks for recipe my lovely wife made this one for me but she added a cupfull of omega3 seed mix to it very nice with a slice of cornbeef
193dbc966ccefa4e997dac34f9ed9812.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coriander leaf, chillis, celery, sausages,
Recipe.
Most of the carbs were from the flax. Mine was 4g per 100g. If you use lower you can get this at 5-6g for the whole loaf.
I merged about 3 different recipes that I found.

2 cups flax.
1 tbsp baking powder.
1 tsp salt.
1 tbsp truvia sweetener.
1 tbsp Italian herbs (can use more or leave it out).
5-6 eggs (I used 6 medium).
1/2 cup water.

Mix all dry ingredients together.
Blend up the eggs.
Add the water and eggs to dry mix and stir well together.
Leave for 3 mins at least to thicken.
Pour into your greased / lined etc tin. I used a rectangular silicone mould and didn't use any grease.
Bake at 180 for 30 mins.

Could you roll the dough into some seeds... like pumpkin seeds, sunflower, etc before putting it into the loaf tin? And if you did how would that change the carbs content?

eldergarth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
marmite peanut butter
Could you roll the dough into some seeds... like pumpkin seeds, sunflower, etc before putting it into the loaf tin? And if you did how would that change the carbs content?
Its not exactly a dough mixture just add the seeds to the mixture or just springle on top once you place mixture into loaf tin

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coriander leaf, chillis, celery, sausages,
Its not exactly a dough mixture just add the seeds to the mixture or just springle on top once you place mixture into loaf tin
Thanks. I wondered if it might be like that.

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone found eating this bread makes them run to the toilet more frequently?

I made two loaves yesterday and needed to use the toilet (urine) around 05:15 and 07:30. Thoughts?