Under active thyroid

clifft

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i have been diagnosed with an under active thyroid as a consequence of radiation therapy. This means I am lacking in iodine as far as I can make out. I have been prescribed the tablets, but my problem (or I see it as a possible problem) is the diet I need to keep my glucose levels down versus the diet to keep a good daily dosage of iodine. They appear to oppose each other eg, potatoes - carbs, not good for diabetes but good for intake of iodine. Does anyone have experience of this and am I just being paranoid at this early stage?

zicksi101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi clifft. Interested to see the replies here as I've also been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid, but not due to radiation therapy.

If you need to eat carb foods, can you go for options that include more fibre that you might need less insulin for? Alternatively, as a type 1 diabetic, you could just take insulin for the high carb foods that you say you need to include in your diet?

What I find is that a consistent diet can work just as well as a low carb diet, because the insulin dose I need to take for them from day to day is the same, so yeah it is a bit more effort than low carb and does not offer the same low insulin benefit, but there are ways to keep it simple and make it work.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello to all,,,,I have an under active thyroid and take the levothyroxine for it,,,,but if the need arose for extra iodine then I would take a supplement to make up the shortfall,,,,,and then I would concentrate on maintaining the diabetes requirements,,,after all the things that can go wrong with the diabetes condition side effects is scarey,,,,,,all we multiple condition people have to do,is try and keep the balance and keep our selves well and achieving the goals we want too and live as well as we can,,,,,,ttfn from Karen.

clifft

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi clifft. Interested to see the replies here as I've also been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid, but not due to radiation therapy.

If you need to eat carb foods, can you go for options that include more fibre that you might need less insulin for? Alternatively, as a type 1 diabetic, you could just take insulin for the high carb foods that you say you need to include in your diet?

What I find is that a consistent diet can work just as well as a low carb diet, because the insulin dose I need to take for them from day to day is the same, so yeah it is a bit more effort than low carb and does not offer the same low insulin benefit, but there are ways to keep it simple and make it work.
Hi zicksi101, what you say makes sense, and yes I can take more insulin to compensate for the carbs; it is just that I have got used to regulating my diabetes with a sensible diet and low levels of insulin. Balance as you say is going to be the order of the day. Thanks for your thoughts, it has reduced my panic mode knowing it doesn't have to be as complicated as I thought.

clifft

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello to all,,,,I have an under active thyroid and take the levothyroxine for it,,,,but if the need arose for extra iodine then I would take a supplement to make up the shortfall,,,,,and then I would concentrate on maintaining the diabetes requirements,,,after all the things that can go wrong with the diabetes condition side effects is scarey,,,,,,all we multiple condition people have to do,is try and keep the balance and keep our selves well and achieving the goals we want too and live as well as we can,,,,,,ttfn from Karen.
hi scouser58, keeping the balance I think is the key, and as you say keep the diabetes under control is vital. I may have panicked a little with the changes in my condition, but it is nice to know I am not alone. Thanks.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you need more iodine I'd look at eggs and seafood rather than potatoes. And salt.

clifft

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you need more iodine I'd look at eggs and seafood rather than potatoes. And salt.
Hi totto, I don't have any additional salt in my diet,; I have two eggs a day, which I used to fry, but have now been told boiled eggs are more beneficial. I have now started to look more closely at sea food, though I do occasionally eat mackerel. Is there specific sea food I should be targeting, bearing in mind cost? I have read that seaweed is good for iodine content, though I have never tried it nor do I know where I can buy it. Thanks

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you can find mackerel I'm sure you can find other fish seafoody things close to it. I suppose you don't live by the sea but frozen cod is useful. Personally I love mussels and often make Moule marinière, a big time favourite.

As to eggs, I usually scramble them with butter but fried and boiled are nice too. Cold, boiled eggs are nice with mayonnaise. And I salt generously on eggs!

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i have been diagnosed with an under active thyroid as a consequence of radiation therapy. This means I am lacking in iodine as far as I can make out. I have been prescribed the tablets, but my problem (or I see it as a possible problem) is the diet I need to keep my glucose levels down versus the diet to keep a good daily dosage of iodine. They appear to oppose each other eg, potatoes - carbs, not good for diabetes but good for intake of iodine. Does anyone have experience of this and am I just being paranoid at this early stage?

Is your thyroid underactive as a result of radiation therapy, or because of a lack of iodine in your diet?
If it's the first, boosting your iodine may not have the desired effect.
Increased intake of iodine will work if your are underactive because of low normal iodine consumption, but over intake can cause exacerbation of symptoms if the underactivity has a different root cause.

clifft

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi , I'm under active due to the radiation treatment I had for throat cancer almost 5 years ago. The thyroid was picked up at my last clinic visit after I reported putting on weight all of a sudden. I have other symptoms of thyroid, but put these down to getting older and lack of proper exercise following retirement. I'm so glad I started this thread it has given more information than any doctor or the research has given.
I didn't realise how differing root causes would have different affects. I assumed if I was under active then I would need to assist the medication with a richer iodine intake. How would I know what iodine consumption I would need, should the GP be telling me this? Thanks for your comments.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You need to be tested to see how underactive your thyroid is, and possibly then the GP can suggest the correct course of treatment, which may include hormone replacement tablets.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello clifft,,,,with regards to seaweed,,,,there is a supplement called Kelp which has a good iodine content and great for the support of the thyroid,,,,good health food shop or holland and barrett,,,,I have taken the kelp in the past and did feel at bit more uplifted,,,,so trying is good to find what suits you the best,,,,ttfn from Karen.

clifft

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the info, I never thought about Holland and Barrett. There are no Asian shops close to me but I do know of a Chinese superstore in the city that I can try. I have never tried seeweed, does have a pleasant taste, or a texture of any kind. After my throat cancer I have swallowing issues so anything that is hard to swallow Ie dry or hard I try to avoid.

MsPrim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lemons
I have an under active thyroid due to Hashimoto's disease (autoimmune disorder) and I take my levothyroxine daily. I was told to avoid foods like broccoli, cabbage, sprouts as they aggravate the thyroid.

My Grandmother had an over-active thyroid and had iodine treatment which kills some of the thyroid but if you are given too much iodine it can cause your thyroid to become under-active as too much of the thyroid has been killed. This happened to my grandmother.

It is very rare to have low iodine in your diet in the Western World.

I don't follow any special diet for my thyroid but I would have another word with your doctor as too much iodine can cause more damage to your thyroid.

I wish you the best

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

clifft

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have an under active thyroid due to Hashimoto's disease (autoimmune disorder) and I take my levothyroxine daily. I was told to avoid foods like broccoli, cabbage, sprouts as they aggravate the thyroid.

My Grandmother had an over-active thyroid and had iodine treatment which kills some of the thyroid but if you are given too much iodine it can cause your thyroid to become under-active as too much of the thyroid has been killed. This happened to my grandmother.

It is very rare to have low iodine in your diet in the Western World.

I don't follow any special diet for my thyroid but I would have another word with your doctor as too much iodine can cause more damage to your thyroid.

I wish you the best

Thank you for the info, it is confusing to me at this stage, though I have begun changing my diet, taking in more fish and eating more fruit. I have just had a blood test done so an appointment with my GP should be imminent and will certainly bring this up.
Thanks.

MsPrim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lemons
Thank you for the info, it is confusing to me at this stage, though I have begun changing my diet, taking in more fish and eating more fruit. I have just had a blood test done so an appointment with my GP should be imminent and will certainly bring this up.
Thanks.

I wish you luck.

When you are first diagnosed you should have thyroid function tests every 3 months until you are getting the right amount of levothyroxine and when your thyroid has stabilised you get tested yearly unless you get symptoms again.

If you need to take 100mcg of Levothyroxine or more, make sure you have an ECG as high doses of levothyroxine can cause palpitations so a healthy heart is a must.

I find most GPs are not too clued up with thyroid disease so if you are not satisfied then ask to be referred to see an Endocrinologist.

Let us know how you get on.