Taken too much insulin

Samwar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi by mistake I've just taken my nova rapid instead of levenmer is it OK to have taken 4 lots of nova rapid

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are going to need a lot of fast acting carbs. How many units of Novorapid did you take?

Samwar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
4 units when I realised it was 6.6 then dropped to 2.4 when get sugars up can I taken levenmer or should I not take it tonight

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The novorapid will stay in your system for 4-5 hours from when you took it. Best to make sure you've had enough carbs to cover the Novorapid dose. I think I would wait a while before taking Levemir - when is your next Levemir dose due?

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
oh dear :( I've done that too. You'll need the quick acting carbs as others have suggested. I've used my bolus instead of basal before and only noticed once I had already injected.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So the Novorapid has probably done about 70-80% of it's action by now. It depends how confident you are that it won't take you much lower in the next 2-3 hours. What are your BG levels like now?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I did it once too :eek: but I didn't know until the hypo hit out of nowhere. Luckily it was daytime as I took my Lantus in the morning.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just make sure it's the right stuff ;)

Hope it all goes OK from here.

Samwar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
All was ok but sugars were 15.5 this morning and taken all day to get them down they are 6.1 now

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I probably would have over treated a hypo after making that mistake ;) Glad it's all settled now.