espresso coffee and 1/4 sq of 90% choc/ sweet potato ?

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I've just had an espresso coffee from my pod machine and an hour later checked my readings and they went from 9.0 at 5.30am (taking the dog out to do her business in the garden). Then tested at 10.30 when I finally got up (fell asleep again, lazy Sunday morn!) and it had gone down to 8.3
I had an espresso coffee at 11am with 1/4 sq of 90% chocolate. I tested at 12.10 and I've gone up to 10.00 I've not had any breakfast as I decided that after 10.30 was far too near lunch to eat. I didn't think that the espresso would send up my levels and thought that a tiny 1/4 sq of 90% chocolate would be ok.

I've a chicken breast and some sweet potato roasting in the oven. Is it ok to eat sweet potato? If not I'll just feed it to my husband and I'll have just the green veg that will be steamed. The steamer my son gave me for Christmas a good few years ago has been taken out of retirement and is well used now.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you missed breakfast, the rise may have had nothing whatsoever to do with coffee/choc intake and everything to do with a liverdump.

I regularly skip 'breakfast' but i have cream in my morning coffee and find that prevents the liverdump.

The only way you will know if sweetpotato works for you is to test before and after eating. If your bg rises more than 2mmol/l at the 2 hour mark, consider a smaller portion. :)

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't find my espresso coffee's from my pod affect me, there is basically nothing in them - and I've read they don't affect most people. Maybe it was a delayed morning dump of glucose?

As for sweet potato, if it's your first time trying maybe test afterwards and see (especially if you have it cooking). I tried sweet potato fries recently and they sent me up to 10+ so a very rare treat now. Steamer sounds perfect though, I steam all my veg

Reactions: 2 people

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
thanks @PenfoldAPD and @Brunneria I'll pass on the sweet potato today as my readings are high already. But will try it another day. I gave my husband a brown bread roll with slices of chicken breast and baked onion, topped with a round of sweet potato. He said it was good!
I'm having baked chicken breast, baked onion slices (they grow above the ground!) steamed spinach and asparagus with a homemade dressing 1 dsp olive oil and 1/3 balsamic vinegar (used only half the mix)

Reactions: 4 people

Orange01

Sorry, I'm a bit late replying to this but my experience might be useful to someone (though as it is often stated on the forum everybyis different).I was diagnosed five years ago with a BG of 14 but have controlled it to a level of about 6.5 by diet and exercise for quite a while noiw. However about 3 years ago I was stuck in a hotel room waiting for heavy rain to stop and in my boredom watched telly and drasnk three cups of coffee and a bottle of coke. I'm not sure what made me test my BG but I'm glad I did because my BG soared to 10.5, a figure I'd not had since gaining control. This promptly led me to do some research and I found out that caffeine can raise BG in some people. I've avoided caffeine since.

As part of that research I also found that the way sweet potato is cooked may affect BG ie boiled is better than roast or fried.

As for chocolate. I read that cocoa is one of the few natural sources of chromium. The debate of the effectiveness of chromium is still on-going but what an excuse to eat chocolate. I love my treat of a little 85% or 90% chocolate.

Billy Ruffian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
However about 3 years ago I was stuck in a hotel room waiting for heavy rain to stop and in my boredom watched telly and drasnk three cups of coffee and a bottle of coke. I'm not sure what made me test my BG but I'm glad I did because my BG soared to 10.5, a figure I'd not had since gaining control. This promptly led me to do some research and I found out that caffeine can raise BG in some people. I've avoided caffeine since.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/coffee-and-diabetes.html

3 cups of coffee and a Coke? I assume it was a Diet variety - but that would give you a quadruple whammy of caffeine! I'll experiment with my Nespresso after reading this thread.