Good Price For Test Strips

EdMac

Just wondering if anyone buys their test strips online, some of the prices look pretty reasonable compared to 'Boots'. I did a quick search on here and didn't spot a thread (although I'm sure there must be one). Does anyone have a recommended online store they use and / or a recommendation for what is a good price?
I am UK based and I use the Accu-Chek Aviva.
Thanks.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try eBay. When I was using an Accu-chek Mobile I bought all my strip cassettes from there. You can get bargains, but just watch for expiry dates.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I swapped to SD Codefree get my supplies from Amazon £7.99 for 50
50 Strips - SD Codefree Blood Glucose Monitor/Monitoring Test/Testing Kit Replacement Strips https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00690WTY0/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_rHFkxbA3G1QG3

If you buy them direct from Home Health and use the discount code, they work out at just over £5 for 50.

Try here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

Pharmacies don't sell them. There are discount codes if you buy in bulk
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I aim to pay 15-18p a strip when I buy strips from E-Bay.

It takes a bit of time to get them, but so far I have managed.

Reactions: 2 people

Just Jeff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Politics, Football.
If you buy them direct from Home Health and use the discount code, they work out at just over £5 for 50.

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833
Oh thanks for that. I didn't know that.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you buy from eBay, it is best to check a few things before clicking BUY:
- expiry date
- country of origin (test strips deteriorate rapidly if stored in too high temperatures)
- shipping method (ditto)
- expected shipping time (ditto)

I am also very reluctant to buy from anyone who gets their strips from the NHS and then sells for a profit on eBay. The NHS doesn't need that kind of fraud to add to its financial woes.

Like many others, I buy SD Codefree, direct from the manufacturers, with the discount code.
Works out at significantly less than the cost of a Prescription Charge. :D

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
I get mine from Home Health too.....apart from a much cheaper price, they deliver very quickly too....what they call 'Standard Delivery' is free.....this equates to 2nd class mail and mine never takes the 3~5 days they say, have always received them within two days not counting weekends as long as they're ordered before 12pm , excellent !

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
I have used Home Healths Royal Mail 2nd class service 3 times in the past and never again ! as it never takes less than 10 days to arrive.
Since then I have always used the 1st class option and usually get it the next day,

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes 1st class for 70 pence extra have ordered on a Friday got them first thing Saturday.

yellowcanary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy my Freestyle Optium strips from Ebay, usually around the £8-12 mark with mostly free postage and as yet have had no problems with either delivery or strips - they can be anything from £28 upwards in a chemist. I must admit I haven't tried the ones mentioned above but once I am getting to run out will try them.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I buy my Freestyle Optium strips from Ebay, usually around the £8-12 mark with mostly free postage and as yet have had no problems with either delivery or strips - they can be anything from £28 upwards in a chemist. I must admit I haven't tried the ones mentioned above but once I am getting to run out will try them.
The SD codefree strips from HomeHealth mentioned above only work with the Codefree meter. They are not replacements for anybody else's meter as far as I know.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
That's right test strips for different meters are not interchangeable Codefree strips will only work with the Codefree meter

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's right test strips for different meters are not interchangeable Codefree strips will only work with the Codefree meter
The confusion may arise because most modern meters are described as codefree, in that when you change to a new pak of test strips, you do not need to enter a batch code for calibration. hence they do not need a code to work.

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!

5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

I looked on the homehealth site and they say they don't post to Orkney. So I tried to phone them to ask why, as Royal Mail deliver to the whole of the UK at the same cost. But after phoning and not getting any answer I gave up and ordered from Amazon. Some companies rip us off with postal charges, so I'm very wary now.

annscullamus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That is very odd as they deliver regularly to me and I live on Skye ! They always come via the Royal Mail ! I would get back to them and query it ?

Reactions: 3 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wondering if anyone buys their test strips online, some of the prices look pretty reasonable compared to 'Boots'. I did a quick search on here and didn't spot a thread (although I'm sure there must be one). Does anyone have a recommended online store they use and / or a recommendation for what is a good price?
Thanks.
@EdMac I've got an Accu-Chek Aviva Nano and have just bought 200 strips from e-bay for £48.00 Inc £5.00 postage. I usually aim to spend no more than £11.00 for a box of 50 and tend to start looking as soon as I've opened my last lot!

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a type 2 in the UK you should get your strips free

Not unless you're on insulin or medication that increases the risk of hypos you won't (or at least you'll be very lucky if you do)

I was using the SD Codefree, but recently bought some Optium strips to validate my Freestyle Libre readings and couldn't believe how much they were (£20 for 50 from Amazon). I wouldn't buy strips from eBay due to the chance of them being sold by someone who got them for free on prescription

chrischapman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks.
Why can't you get them on prescription ?