6 months trial comming to an end

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi
on the 4th of may it will be 6 months on the pump (that's how long the C.C.G said they would trial it for). to see if it worked for me. I would say YES it has but would they agree with me ????. my insulin is now down to 49 units per day pre pump 190 lantus and 360 to 440 units of apidra. my blood sugars are now down to 5-7 and my hb1c is down from 114++ to just 44. so I would say yes it has worked. but Iam now getting a bit afraid that they will say no and stop the pump. and the thought of going back to mdi. is not something iam looking forward to. I see consultant on the 22nd May so I hope he will back me to stay on the pump.

iHs

If your consultant is pleased with the progress the funding of a pump has given you, then I don't think that a CCG would cease payment to the supplier of it but even if they did, a report would need to be done first. You have obviously done very well but take advice from your consultant and dsn how you should control yr bg as you have gone from one extreme to another. Look after yourself...

Reactions: 2 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would say - and this is just an opinion, as I don't know how they view these things - but given all the impressive changes to the numbers (which are measurable, tangible evidence), they have all they need to understand that the pump has made huge improvements to your control, and it would be very strange indeed if they wanted to take it off you!

The pump is surely much less expensive than the complications you are likely to be drastically minimising thanks to the pump.

Sounds like these last 6 months have been amazing, @phil169 - long may your pumping life continue!

:)

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks all. the support you have all given to me has been fantastic. thanks for that, yes the last 6months have been grate, the pump has given me my life back even with the hypos but I suppose that was due to coming down so fast and no one expected that lol. but even thay are getting better. it's just the thought of having to go back on injections every day.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@phil169, those numbers speak for themselves, sure your consultant will be over the moon and will want you to stay on the pump. Good luck anyway.

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Phil, I know it's easy to say (although I worry every time too) but try not to worry. I know things re funding are slightly different for you as a Type 2, but given how things have turned round positively and so quickly since you've been on the pump I'd be very surprised/shocked if funding were withdrawn. I really think everything will be ok.

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
One thing though Phil, do you have a dedicated pump nurse/co-ordinator? They're often responsible for securing and renewing funding with the CCG. For example my pump co-ordinator puts through my funding renewal request/report 1 month before it's due, then when she confirms it's renewed I contact the hospital pharmacy team who order more cannulas and reservoirs, it may be worth your contacting your team now to ensure everything runs smoothly re funding in place and ordering more supplies.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
you will be fine phil169, the numbers will do the talking for you

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks for that Minnie45, thanks Gaz-M I hope so . today is the last day. trial ends to day, sat by phone all day and every time it rang I held my breath, (why is that when you waiting for some one to call every ****** els calls but them lol).

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
mmm its a long way for me to get there but that's interesting to know. thanks iHs