Cauliflower Rice

RobPL

Has anyone here tried the new cauliflower rice that Tesco have started doing?
I'm wondering if it's nice.
Or has anyone tried making their own and have a tasty recipe for it?
Cheers.

Reactions: 2 people

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It seems pretty expensive for what is basically a cauliflower!

I've made my own cauliflower rice and it's dead easy to do - just grate a cauli (head only, not the large stem) with a cheese grater (medium holes) or put it in a food processor and chop until about the size of rice

Then, just bung it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes and enjoy :)

Reactions: 6 people

RobPL

It seems pretty expensive for what is basically a cauliflower!

I've made my own cauliflower rice and it's dead easy to do - just grate a cauli (head only, not the large stem) with a cheese grater (medium holes) or put it in a food processor and chop until about the size of rice

Then, just bung it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes and enjoy :)

Cheers Phil,
Does it taste nice made like that? I'm not that keen on cauliflower but love rice and fancied trying a substitute.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used it and it's quite good, I have also used the courgette spaghetti and that's good too, at the moment Tesco have a 3 for 2 on these so they are £2 for 3 packs so not quite so expensive - I make all my own usually but found these great when on holiday in a cottage - my spiralizer was at home and a lot quicker for a lunch before going out or a rice to go with takeaways

Reactions: 6 people

annscullamus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use it for a fried rice type dish - bits of bacon, coconut oil, cauli rice then a little stock powder, soy sauce and finally an egg stirred in very quickly - delicious and you would never know it was cauliflower - I love it !

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We tried it, and liked it so much that I now make my own - just whizz it in the blender thing.

We have it as rice, stir fried rice, I lob it into curries for the last few mins of cooking, and you get a cauli biryani, also make a kind of mashed potato with it, and pie toppings...

It is very versatile. and the flavour is quite chameleon-like.

I will probably try fish cakes soon, bound with egg and ovened, not fried, because I think they will be too fragile.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I tired the Treco pre-made stuff for the first time last week, making it into a risotto, it was brilliant. Next time, I'll just buy the cauliflower and wiz it up as suggested in the blender.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've put off trying substitutes but might have to try Cauli Rice, so many people seem to like it. I did have Jasmine Rice (yes REAL RICE!) tonight with my Thai Chicken curry from COOK (the frozen food place). Waiting until 10ish to test myself.

@Brunneria do you just whizz the whole cauli head in the blender. Maybe as I haven't tried this I don't get it (sorry), does it actually have a rice like texture?

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tired the Treco pre-made stuff for the first time last week, making it into a risotto, it was brilliant. Next time, I'll just buy the cauliflower and wiz it up as suggested in the blender.

If there is one thing I miss cooking it's risotto .... :(

RobPL

Thanks all for the replies. I think I will try the packaged one first and grab a pack of frozen florets also to make my own.
I'm looking forward to trying it.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all for the replies. I think I will try the packaged one first and grab a pack of frozen florets also to make my own.
I'm looking forward to trying it.

Step away from the frozen cauli. Step away (for ricing anyway).

Of course, this is all on Planet Breathe. :)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I like the cauli rice, feels like rice, but needs something else on it or with it that has a spicy kick, but does enable me to feel like I'm having a regular curry, with shashlik chicken (just grilled chicken on the George Foreman:)), veggies, cauli and the all important curry sauce, with only real spices and good sauce base.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
when cauli defrosts it is softer and wetter and slightly translucent. Still cooks ok, but hopeless for grating.

Better to buy fresh, rice-ify, and freeze in portions, I would have thought.

It is disappointing, because other veg freeze magnificently.

Tes78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like cauliflower but don't like it as rice, although I have only tried it as "boiled rice" done in the microwave. I think I am going to try it fried like suggested in earlier posts.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tes, fry it in butter, then add chopped onions, mushroom, red peppers and tomatoes and gently sauté. It becomes like a risotto - yummy.:)

Reactions: 7 people

RobPL

when cauli defrosts it is softer and wetter and slightly translucent. Still cooks ok, but hopeless for grating.

Better to buy fresh, rice-ify, and freeze in portions, I would have thought.

It is disappointing, because other veg freeze magnificently.

I was going to try grating it from frozen. Dunno if that would work though.