Headaches

mizloco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had a headache nearly every day for the last two weeks is this normal with diabetes? I'm due to have a blood test Friday and then see the DN for my first check up since being diagnosed. I will mention it to her but the help and support is very limited.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I don't actually know, but I can state from my own experience as a chronic migraine sufferer that I gave not had a single headache in three weeks, which is just about the first time in my life this has happened. I'm thinking my change on this may be down to my LCHF diet, there's certainly nothing else that's changed in that time frame. Have you explored a dramatic lowering of carbs?

mizloco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started the LCHF but had a few bad days recently.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Emma....that's a puzzler, I'm sure somebody will be along soon to chip in.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you've recently started on a low carb high(er) fat diet, the headaches could possibly be caused by your body suffering from carbohydrate withdrawal (check Google for low carb "flu" symptoms (aka keto or Atkins flu). Try drinking more fluids and make sure you have enough salt, potassium and magnesium in your diet. Symptoms should disappear within a short time when your body's "detoxed" itself.

If you reduce carbs gradually you may not see any side effects, and I was lucky enough to avoid them, but they are quite common!

Robbity

Tes78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would defiantly talk to the doctor about it. I was put on beater blockers for my headaches, because I was getteing them more days a week than not. my blood pressure was quite high at the time, I don't know for sure, but think it could be because of the blood pressure I was having the headaches. So maybe get that checked while your there.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it rather depends on what type of headache it is.
Migraines and headaches are very different, and then headaches come as tension headaches, and eye strain and... goodness, all sorts of different ones.

I did read once that most headaches are dehydration, and that the glass of water you take the pain killer with actually does more to help it than the tablet. Which makes a kind of sense - especially with the amount of extra fluid we need on LCHF.

So I suppose as a shortlist
- have a few glasses of water, and see if it goes
- up your minerals, as @Robbity suggests (cup of bovril or broth is a good starter)
- review posture, hours at screen, position of chair...
- need eye test?
- sinus? hayfever? etc

and if none of those help, trundle to doc without delay.

Hope that helps.