linda m

Hi I have just found this site and it appears to have a lot of information I could use. My main question at the moment is : Has anyone taken Metformin and found that their sugar levels have gone up. This has happened to me and now I have found that I can't get them back down again. I had the levels at 6.8 before I started the Metformin and now I can barely get them down from 9.0. My doc says I must be eating more, but this is far from it as I have just lost 5lb. Needless to say I have stopped taking the tablets and am trying to control it with my diet again. Any ideas?

wallycorker

Hi Linda,

I suppose that as a Type 2 you understand the need to cut back dramatically on the starchy carbohydrates - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta and rice?

Best wishes - John

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum, Linda.
Are you taking any other forms of medication, even those non diabetic related ? ie Steroids, Cytotoxic drugs etc.

Have you stopped taking the Metformin with your doctor's knowledge ? Metformin is usually a very effective drug for lowering blood glucose levels.

Whilst this may be diet related, we do not know what your present diet is, can you give us some idea of a typical days food intake as this will help us to give you some better advice.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
wallycorker said:
Hi Linda,

I suppose that as a Type 2 you understand the need to cut back dramatically on the starchy carbohydrates - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta and rice?

Best wishes - John

Really ? Not EVERY Type 2 has to do that John. Some of them manage their Diabetes exceptionally well without resorting to 'dramatically cutting back'. Not quite sure what that means ?

Perhap's we need to find out what Linda's diet consists of before throwing out blanket advice to new members. Her medications perhaps or other underlying conditions ? These may ALL have a bearing on Linda's higher Bg numbers, not just diet.

linda m

Re:diet

Thanks for the replies. I have had diabetes for about 6 years now and have been able to keep it under reasonable control with diet. I take Ezetrol, one a day. I am pretty fit as I work as a window cleaner. Not over weight, 10stone at 5' 7. I started taking the Metformin just before Christmas and my levels shot up. Spoke to the doc and he said increase dose to 2 a day. Levels went even higher and pains started in my stomach. Spoke to doc again and he said come off them and see how I go on. Been very hard over Christmas as I have a love of anything sweet! Never realised I had to leave out all those foods, just thought it was sweet stuff.

My diet consists of : porridge or bran for breakfast, lunch is usually a couple of Ryvitas with cheese, tea is mostly veg, potatoes and meat, although I am trying to eat more chicken and fish. I had been having brown rice as well as I thought it was better for me. I do eat a couple of bags of crisps a week and now I am down to the odd biscuit and plenty of fruit. How does that sound?

Happy New Year to all.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Linda.
So, apart from Ezetimibe(Ezetrol) a Cholesterol lowering mediacation you are not taking ANY other drugs ?

Not everybody has to ditch ALL the foods mentioned. I can eat many of them, but only in very small portions. Your menu might well be OK for you, testing is the only way to find out what is good or bad. I could tell you what I don't or wouldn't eat, however YOU might be able to tolerate them very well. We are all different and there is no one size fits all ! :wink:

The way to find out how different foods affect you is to do regular testing and keep a food diary for a couple of weeks. If you test just before eating then two hours after eating you will see the effect of certain foods on your blood glucose levels.

Buy yourself a carb counter book (you can get these on-line) and you will be able to work out how much carbs you are eating, when you test, the reading two hours after should be roughly the same as the before eating reading, if it is then that meal was fine, if it isn’t then you need to check what you have eaten and think about reducing the portion size of carbs.

The main carbs to avoid or reduce if your Bg levels are high are the complex or starchy carbohydrates such a bread, potatoes, pasta and rice also any flour based products. The starchy carbs all convert 100% to glucose in the body and raise the blood sugar levels significantly.

It's not just 'sugars' you need to avoid, diabetes is an inability to process glucose properly. Carbohydrate converts, in the body, to glucose. So it makes sense to reduce the amount of carbohydrate that you eat which includes sugars.

When you are buying products check the total carbohydrate content, this includes the sugar content. Do not just go by the amount of sugar on the packaging as this is misleading to a diabetic.

It could well be that your problems are all down to your diet, however it is strange that Metformin had NO effect at all. I am not surprised that your Dr increased your Meds if your Bg levels went up. If they weren't working then I would have thought he would have tried something else such as Gliclazide, a sulphonylurea. Usually this is a very effective drug for lowering Blood glucose levels.
What sort of levels are you getting at the moment ?

Maybe you should discuss this with the GP.

linda m

Thanks for the sound advice. I was getting readings of 6.8. Then took the Metformin and it shot up to 9.00. When i took two tablets it went to 10.00. This frightened me a bit. Good advice about the testing before and after meals. Will start doing that today. I must admit I have gone a bit over the top this Christmas, main downfall as I said , sweet things but also been drinking my fav drink Cointreau. This will have to stop now Christmas is over. I have sent for the diet plate and will get a carb counter book. Will let you know how I go on.

wallycorker

cugila said:
............The main carbs to avoid or reduce if your Bg levels are high are the complex or starchy carbohydrates such a bread, potatoes, pasta and rice also any flour based products. The starchy carbs all convert 100% to glucose in the body and raise the blood sugar levels significantly.

It's not just 'sugars' you need to avoid, diabetes is an inability to process glucose properly. Carbohydrate converts, in the body, to glucose. So it makes sense to reduce the amount of carbohydrate that you eat which includes sugars......................
Yes Linda - I agree with Cugila.Most Type 2s usually need to cut back dramatically on the starchy carbohydrates that they eat - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta and rice? That usually leads to a quick and big improvement in blood glucose levels.

Best wishes - John