Insulin pen recommendations please

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
Hi, I'm just looking for personal opinion t s on types of insulin pens and pros and cons of any there are to them?

I have managed to control my BG much better of late and although my consultant and I have had a few disagreements regarding me starting bolus, to which he still isn't happy to let me... But that's another story basically I won't to be able to fine control my basal as I am jumping from 1 unit to another to take control and with my level of training presently it can sometimes be a little off...

I am going to ask for a pen with the ability to give 1/2 unit doses my question is does anybody use these and are they good? And are there any preferences to type?

Thanks in advance

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've used the Novolog/Novorapid Echo Pen and the Humalog Luxura Pen. Both inject in .5 unit increments.

I think you'll have better luck getting the Novorapid Echo on the NHS system. I haven't seen many people in the UK use the Luxura. Didn't notice any sort of a difference between the two and both were built pretty solidly.

Note: the Echo pen does have a (very) basic memory function which can tell you when your last bolus was. I've never had to use it, but I suppose it's good if you can't remember if you took your insulin or not.

Reactions: 2 people

DBolding

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the Luxura pen in the UK :) but it doesn't have half doses. Only full units at a time

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@TorqPenderloin I'm in the UK and I have the Humalog HD Luxura Pen :) I got it free on prescription. It's a nice looking pen :)

I found my GP wasn't familiar with half unit pens but prescribed it no problem once he knew what I was asking for.

Reactions: 4 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the Luxura pen in the UK :) but it doesn't have half doses. Only full units at a time

I just amended my post when I saw that to add the 'HD'. There are two Luxura pens - the normal one that does units and the HD pen that does half units (HD=half unit). If you want the HD one it is available but many GPs haven't heard of it. I had no problem getting it.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh a HD one. Maybe the manufacturer rep would give it for free?

Maybe, but you could also ask your DSN or get your GP to,prescribe it. It's full name is HumaPen Luxura HD. It should appear fine on your surgery's prescription item list if they search under the correct name.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I am going to ask for a pen with the ability to give 1/2 unit doses my question is does anybody use these and are they good? And are there any preferences to type?

I was using the NovoPen Echo prior to moving to a pump. nothing but praise for it and have to say it was the best pen I'd ever used, using a half unit pen lets you fine-tune your diabetes control.

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
Thanks for everyone's input it's much appreciated... I will head down to see the doctor when I get home from work... They both sound great, so hopefully they will let me, if not I shall just buy my own and have the doctor change my insulin prescription to suit the pen if not...

Thanks again really appreciate the input

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I'm just looking for personal opinion t s on types of insulin pens and pros and cons of any there are to them?

I have managed to control my BG much better of late and although my consultant and I have had a few disagreements regarding me starting bolus, to which he still isn't happy to let me... But that's another story basically I won't to be able to fine control my basal as I am jumping from 1 unit to another to take control and with my level of training presently it can sometimes be a little off...

Thanks in advance

I use the Echo pen and it has 1/2 doses which is invaluable for me. Easy to use, and by pulling out the end and pushing it back in, it brings up the last dose taken and the timescales too, like a sundial, a thumbs up from me. I had a 1/2 unit Novo Nordisk pen, but when I asked for back up pens, they were discontinued, hence the fab echo pens.
Good luck.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks for everyone's input it's much appreciated... I will head down to see the doctor when I get home from work... They both sound great, so hopefully they will let me, if not I shall just buy my own and have the doctor change my insulin prescription to suit the pen if not...

Thanks again really appreciate the input

If your under the care of a hospital diabetes team your DSN should be able to give you the NovoPen Echo, that's where I got my first pen so worth asking if you don't have any luck at your Dr's.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I use the NovoNordisk Penfill Echo 4 and it's excellent and does 1/2 units, I wonder why the consultant is being obstinate about the Bolus; presumably cost?

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
Hi. I use the NovoNordisk Penfill Echo 4 and it's excellent and does 1/2 units, I wonder why the consultant is being obstinate about the Bolus; presumably cost?

Firstly, Thanks for taking the time to reply...

The consultant I have met for all of around 30 seconds... He was (I can't write it here ) not very interested in what I was looking to try and achieve by closer control. He said that with my level of training that I would eventually come off insulin and there would be no requirement for that... Laughable in the instance that no matter what you read LADA which I have would never correct itself from everything I've read up on the condition... So I'm trying to take a different approach if I never see the consultant again it will be too soon!!! Hopefully I can persuade them on the 1/2 unit option for basal for the time being...

Thanks again

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@IZ THE LEG END if you private message me your address, I can send you an Echo pen. My GP seems to like handing them out so have a couple of spares.

More than happy to send you one.

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
@IZ THE LEG END if you private message me your address, I can send you an Echo pen. My GP seems to like handing them out so have a couple of spares.

More than happy to send you one.

Firstly thank you very much for your kind offer its greatly appreciated.

I will however decline if that's ok with you and without causing offence.

Thank you though for your kind offer

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have to buy one they're not terribly expensive (relatively speaking). I paid $70usd/each for my two Echo pens.

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
If you have to buy one they're not terribly expensive (relatively speaking). I paid $70usd/each for my two Echo pens.

Thank pal, I did look online before I posted on here originally and like you say There not expensive, I'll see what the consultant says when I return