BG on the rise - please help

lorsand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been diagnosed T2 for 5 weeks. I have noticed that over the last week my fasting sugars have been rising??? Last week I was 5.4, 5.8, 5.5, 5.9, then this week I have been 6.0, 6.2, 6.1 and now 6.5. I have not eaten anything different, still on very low carb diet - no fruit, potatoes, rice, pasta, bread or below ground vegetables. I have been to the gym everyday except the bank holiday weekend. I am not on any medication and desperately want to control it by diet and exercise. My weight has reduced slowly from 112 to 107.2 in six weeks. I do cardio 40 mins four days a week and a one hour aquacise class once a week. I am feeling very frustrated, confused and despondent at the minute. Any suggestions my fellow T2ers .... please. I won't do it but I feel that I may as well eat what I want (bread) and go on meds as my Doctor insisted. Sorry feeling very sorry for myself.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Don't worry about fasting blood readings as they can mean very little due to overnight liver dumps of glycogen. It's the 2 hour post-meal checks for some typical meals and then the HBA1C test which will mean much more.

lorsand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. Don't worry about fasting blood readings as they can mean very little due to overnight liver dumps of glycogen. It's the 2 hour post-meal checks for some typical meals and then the HBA1C test which will mean much more.
Thank you, I must admit to becoming a little obsessed with the fasting BG figure and was so pleased to see it coming down. Also will it be affected by the time of day I get up? I am a Nurse so some days get up at 5am for an early shift, 8am for a late shift and then on days off between 9-10.30am.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, I must admit to becoming a little obsessed with the fasting BG figure and was so pleased to see it coming down. Also will it be affected by the time of day I get up? I am a Nurse so some days get up at 5am for an early shift, 8am for a late shift and then on days off between 9-10.30am.
Hi. Its a bit of a grey area and no-one really seems to know how the liver dump varies between people and time etc. Legend has it that it's the liver preparing the body for an active day. The fasting reading is a guide and I use it to adjust my Basal but I notice it does vary day to day and I just use an average figure.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @lorsand
I would agree it's more important what your bloods are doing the rest of the day. For me I do sometimes have fasting readings in the 6's and occasional 7's yet my HbA1c is 33. I got worried and went back to my GP who agreed to another HbA1c and this one came back at 33. I find for me stress, pain and even restless sleep affect my fasting reading.

brenda walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes it is affected by your routines and have you thought about what you drink

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of things affect FBG most of which is outside our control.

Your before evening meal and bedtime tests will give you a better idea, along with the 2 hour post prandials. Keep a check on the post meal rises - are these increasing after eating the same meal? By this, I mean the amount of the rise. That is a good indicator of upward or downward trends.

Normally, the reading before evening meal is the lowest of the day.

lorsand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @lorsand
I would agree it's more important what your bloods are doing the rest of the day. For me I do sometimes have fasting readings in the 6's and occasional 7's yet my HbA1c is 33. I got worried and went back to my GP who agreed to another HbA1c and this one came back at 33. I find for me stress, pain and even restless sleep affect my fasting reading.
Thank you that is really reassuring for me as I had a bit of a battle with the GP to let me try diet and exercise for three months without any medication.

lorsand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
yes it is affected by your routines and have you thought about what you drink
Typical! another reason for wanting to get out of nursing heehee. When you say drink do you mean alcohol ... if so I had one shot of neat whisky on Saturday (nothing else during week), I drink quite a bit of coffee of an evening with a splash of semi skimmed milk (this has replaced my bottle of white wine ;)), I try to, but don't really succeed in drinking much water - I rarely feel thirsty.

lorsand

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Your before evening meal and bedtime tests will give you a better idea, along with the 2 hour post prandials. Keep a check on the post meal rises - are these increasing after eating the same meal? By this, I mean the amount of the rise. That is a good indicator of upward or downward trends.

Ah yes I have noticed it tends to be my best. Will pay more attention to the evening meal rise. I must admit I have not been checking that whilst eating similar foods, only when trying out new stuff.

brenda walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Typical! another reason for wanting to get out of nursing heehee. When you say drink do you mean alcohol ... if so I had one shot of neat whisky on Saturday (nothing else during week), I drink quite a bit of coffee of an evening with a splash of semi skimmed milk (this has replaced my bottle of white wine ;)), I try to, but don't really succeed in drinking much water - I rarely feel thirsty.
water is important and oddly my sugars go down when I drink wine. But I was thinking of the hidden sugars in fruit juice and squashes,not to mention the artificial sweeteners which can cause diarrhea in excess. When out and about it's black Coffee, some of the coffees like lattes plus*** can amount to 500 calories a cup! The barristers seem surprised when I ask for just a plain black coffee, They really intimidate me. they reel off a list that sounds like a foreign language, do you need a degree to be a barrister?

lorsand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
water is important and oddly my sugars go down when I drink wine. But I was thinking of the hidden sugars in fruit juice and squashes,not to mention the artificial sweeteners which can cause diarrhea in excess. When out and about it's black Coffee, some of the coffees like lattes plus*** can amount to 500 calories a cup! The barristers seem surprised when I ask for just a plain black coffee, They really intimidate me. they reel off a list that sounds like a foreign language, do you need a degree to be a barrister?
I don't use any fruit juices or squash. Interesting on the wine ... perhaps there is a 'test' coming up hee hee!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't use any fruit juices or squash. Interesting on the wine ... perhaps there is a 'test' coming up hee hee!

I like my red wine, and so do my blood sugars! I have a glass every evening before and during my evening meal, but there again I don't need to watch my weight. It does have a lot of calories!

Have you tried cream in your coffees rather than skimmed milk? That is my personal comfort food.

clingclang

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Other

Out of curiosity, do you know why that is? Mine tends to be lowest in the morning but I think it's probably because I quite often have a snack in the afternoon, and I haven't got my blood sugar levels under control yet.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Out of curiosity, do you know why that is? Mine tends to be lowest in the morning but I think it's probably because I quite often have a snack in the afternoon, and I haven't got my blood sugar levels under control yet.

It is because for those of us with insulin resistance, the resistance diminishes as the day progresses ( please don't ask me for the science behind this!!) This is one reason why some people find it best to build up their carb allowance, having the fewest at breakfast and the most at evening meal. Having an afternoon snack possibly means you won't return to your base level before you eat again. I have never snacked in my whole adult life, so between lunch and evening meal there is a substantial gap. Only cups of tea and water pass my lips, but my pre-evening meal readings are always my lowest, and sometimes by some way. Other people on here find the same. I hope this helps.

clingclang

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Other
It is because for those of us with insulin resistance, the resistance diminishes as the day progresses ( please don't ask me for the science behind this!!) This is one reason why some people find it best to build up their carb allowance, having the fewest at breakfast and the most at evening meal. Having an afternoon snack possibly means you won't return to your base level before you eat again. I have never snacked in my whole adult life, so between lunch and evening meal there is a substantial gap. Only cups of tea and water pass my lips, but my pre-evening meal readings are always my lowest, and sometimes by some way. Other people on here find the same. I hope this helps.
Thank you, that's very interesting. Definitely helpful :) I've always been a snacker, something I need to learn to control really!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, that's very interesting. Definitely helpful :) I've always been a snacker, something I need to learn to control really!

A lot of people on here do snack, but are careful to only snack on very low carb stuff. Maybe a FEW nuts (not cashews), a piece of cheese, or similar. Eating a decent lunch, with enough fat and a normal amount of protein should stop the hunger, that is if you are hungry and it's not just a habit? Have a go and see what happens ...

clingclang

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Other
A lot of people on here do snack, but are careful to only snack on very low carb stuff. Maybe a FEW nuts (not cashews), a piece of cheese, or similar. Eating a decent lunch, with enough fat and a normal amount of protein should stop the hunger, that is if you are hungry and it's not just a habit? Have a go and see what happens ...
I usually only snack when I'm hungry but must admit to snacking more when I'm feeling stressed too (which at the moment is all the time!), but have been trying to snack on cheese more than the unhealthy, carby foods I used to. Only just starting to reduce my carbs in the past week or so.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually only snack when I'm hungry but must admit to snacking more when I'm feeling stressed too (which at the moment is all the time!), but have been trying to snack on cheese more than the unhealthy, carby foods I used to. Only just starting to reduce my carbs in the past week or so.

You are only at the beginning of a life long journey. Keep reading, keep testing, keep learning and you will get there in the end. :)

Reactions: 2 people

brenda walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like my red wine, and so do my blood sugars! I have a glass every evening before and during my evening meal, but there again I don't need to watch my weight. It does have a lot of calories!

Have you tried cream in your coffees rather than skimmed milk? That is my personal comfort food.