DKA

TraceyR

Hi
I'm new to this forum and on now because I need advice please. I've been T1 diabetic for 7 years and have never had any admissions to hospital. Until now!! In the past month I've been admitted 3 times with DKA. The doctors can't find out what's triggering it, my control is very good, meds haven't changed and all their tests haven't shown up any infection. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this? If I knew why it is starting then I could do something about it. I feel so powerless! Please help!
Tracey

JasonHayes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to hear you are not having the best of times. I have been admitted before, it happen to me once a year for several years, for me it was my tonsils, once removed OK (touching wood). I think I just got an infection and body raised BG's which caused it. I hated going in, I would plead and plead, not to go in to hospital, but always had to. The only advice is to check your Keytones, if you start to get some, drink and drink and drink water, to help flush them out, if on insulin, you may need to take more than normal while ill and never, never stop taking your insulin, even if you are not eating and really ill, you need to keep your BG's under control.

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
As I understand it, DKA develops when the basal level of insulin in a person's body falls below their personal critical level. The question is, why is this happeneong to you now? Could it be you have a 'bad' batch of insulin? It may be worth getting some new supplies? Just a thought, as you say this has only ever happened in the past month.
Best wishes
Sue

lilibet

Agree with Sue - check your insulin, needles and injection sites. Change them all and see what happens

Also, is there anything happening in your body ie hormonal changes, that could explain it?

Also, insulin resistance? Not likel in T1 but certainly not impossible

If it keeps happening for no reason, I would look towards getting a continous glucose monitor fitted by your clinic to get an idea of whats going on across the course of a few days