Naturefile

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! That is a really lovely picture...
I know what you mean about the colour of spring leaves - they're almost fluorescent, aren't they? When I was a child, my Grampy used to call the pale, new hawthorn hedges"bread & cheese" and Somerset country folk used to eat the leaves like salad.
I love the way the sun catches the tops of the tallest trees as it sets this time of year, too.
Everything's fluorescent at the moment :)

IMG_20160505_160841.jpg

Reactions: 6 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
There are some truly beautiful gardens shown here. They are a delight to see. I have a small garden, in Cambridge UK, which I've divided into 6 separate spaces, but each is anchored thematically with hydrangea arborescenes annabelle, Erigeron, holding it all together.
67233e1fb5b6bf33025c2c78e92fa421.jpg
d10c8345d5d188209fa3dd76fc75678b.jpg
f6ee9c1e2c2ef5ec6791f6292bfb2d90.jpg
de43efe2b99f413c5d7b0c6e55aade33.jpg
1588a607021c45be37ca29bcbce3ca70.jpg
e09002bb4e42304b561c8a3f2c14781d.jpg
580a92ce643267c564d665958cf85be2.jpg
ea2c70bb6d5cf924da499a31b473bd30.jpg
2be94764470574a86e347dc626742232.jpg
c92079a790bf35ca95996601fd6a5c44.jpg

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks greenwave...gardening is such a delight and good for keeping the weight off:)

Reactions: 4 people
D

debrasue

Oops! I think we might be in danger of hijacking @liam1955's Naturefile thread with our gardens! Sorry, William x
As we seem to have some very accomplished gardeners in our community (and I am in awe of the amount of work that has gone into your garden, @KevinPotts! It's totally gorgeous!), I'll start a new thread on General Chat - Gardenfile - where we can share pictures and tips on our pride and joy...
Hope to see you there :)

D

debrasue

Is that bamboo in your beautiful photo?
No, it's a flowering shrub called forsythia, from the family Oleaceae (olive family), often used in hedges or as a garden shrub here in the UK. It's usually among the first shrubs to flower in the spring.

Reactions: 2 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sorry William, I should have paid more attention. :)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Debrause, please do start a new gardening thread, that would be amazing.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Forsythia is so beautiful at this time of year.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Brilliant Deb, how do I find it. I'll out up some picks from last summer so you get the sense of scale in terms of how it's going to develop.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes Chris I love the cranesbill

D

debrasue

I was able to take a drive with the "lid" off my car today for the first time this year. I love it - you really feel a part of the countryside that way. Forests seem more secret, country lanes quieter and more peaceful, and the open roads are exhilarating.
rapeseed.jpg

There's quite a lot of farmland in this area and several huge fields of oilseed rape. I'm not a big fan of it really and find it can be quite harsh on the eyes, but the smell of it in the sunshine today was heady and almost intoxicating.
A year or two ago I walked in a field of rape (carefully, leaving no trace) and again the smell of the blossoms was wonderful. I remember how cool the petals felt against my bare arms, and the microcosm of tiny insects living out their lives on the bright, yellow blooms, completely oblivious to the rest of the 21st century. It was an oddly humbling experience, yet liberating at the same time.
I can highly recommend it, if you feel that way inclined!
:happy:

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You should be a poet Deb or a published author, you have a great way with words.

D

debrasue

You should be a poet Deb or a published author, you have a great way with words.
Aww, thanks Kevin! (My brother's called Kevin, by the way, and he always calls me Deb, too. Spooky...!)
Actually, I have had a few books published, although I mostly write stories for children. I'm not much of a poet, though! :)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been reading through this thread - just brilliant, time to charge up the camera batteries and dust the bag and tripod off.

Many a time out walking the dog we see such amazing wild life, I'll see if I can catch a Red Kite this weekend! I might even get a deer or 3, although having 3 white bottoms bouncing away across the field being chased by my avatar doesn't make a good picture!

Seen plenty of swallows and we had a mass of ladybirds the other day 'partying' on a public path - well it is May and that's when they get down and dirty - but in public!?!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Please get those pics and upload them to this thread, we'd love to see them.