Thank you

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am writing to thank you all for the help you have given me over the last 6 months. My husband, Michael, was diagnosed with type 2 at the beginning of Oct. last year. He had no idea he had diabetes until he went to the optician for routine eye check, when it was found that he had blood leaking into his eye. As soon as we knew he was type 2, I started researching on Internet and found this Forum. His first blood test showed his blood at 101. He went on to Janumet twice a day and immediately started to cut the carbs as recommended by this forum. His next blood test in Jan. this year showed his blood at 63. The DN couldn't believe he could make such a change in such a short time and today he has had the result of a blood test done a few days ago and it is 37!! We can't thank you enough for your help and support, just by reading the forum, you have helped him to control his diabetes. He has, unfortunately, already had to have two sessions of lazer eye treatment, which has left his eye fuzzy and he has to go back to see whether the lazer treatment has sealed the blood vessels at the end of May. If not, he will have to have eye injections to try to seal them, but at least he feels he has done everything he can to halt the damage and that is solely down to your help. Thank you so much, everyone.

Reactions: 7 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I wouldn't say it's solely down to our help. You did the work in changing your lifestyle and diet.
Congratulations on getting the BG numbers down to reasonable levels in such a short space of time and I sincerely hope that the eyesight recovers.

Reactions: 4 people

t-man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That is awesome that he was able to get his numbers down quick, congrats for that. This forum is amazing and full of useful information, I am constantly reading gaining new info every time!

Keep up the great progress,
t-man

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a brilliant result!
Congratulations to BOTH of you :D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your kind comments. Michael has just had a call from his DN to say that he is now considered to be pre-diabetic. Apparently, even though his readings are in the non-diabetic range, he will still be classed as pre-diabetic and called for an annual review, rather than 6 months or less. So that is good. He wouldn't be in this position if we hadn't learnt from this forum about low carbing. It makes me cross that they don't tell diabetics to try this. Everyone should have this knowledge and make their own decision on whether they want to try it. Thank goodness for this forum. It's just a shame that not every diabetic and pre-diabetic person finds it. Once again, thank you so much for your help. I shall continue to read what you all have to say. It has helped us so much. Carol.

Reactions: 6 people

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done @MichaelBlakebrough and "Mrs Michael". I wasted several months doing the "recommended" diet (while working long hours and long journey to work so not doing internet research) and it was only when I came on here that I saw the error of my ways re carbs. Although I had cut out a lot of things I had been doing low fat as advised with moderate carbs. Why can they not get up to date with their advice?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am writing to thank you all for the help you have given me over the last 6 months. My husband, Michael, was diagnosed with type 2 at the beginning of Oct. last year. He had no idea he had diabetes until he went to the optician for routine eye check, when it was found that he had blood leaking into his eye. As soon as we knew he was type 2, I started researching on Internet and found this Forum. His first blood test showed his blood at 101. He went on to Janumet twice a day and immediately started to cut the carbs as recommended by this forum. His next blood test in Jan. this year showed his blood at 63. The DN couldn't believe he could make such a change in such a short time and today he has had the result of a blood test done a few days ago and it is 37!! We can't thank you enough for your help and support, just by reading the forum, you have helped him to control his diabetes. He has, unfortunately, already had to have two sessions of lazer eye treatment, which has left his eye fuzzy and he has to go back to see whether the lazer treatment has sealed the blood vessels at the end of May. If not, he will have to have eye injections to try to seal them, but at least he feels he has done everything he can to halt the damage and that is solely down to your help. Thank you so much, everyone.

Really very well done on what you have both achieved.

It's not easy changing the habits of a lifetime to create new lifetime habits, but that's what the maintenance phase is all about. Maintaining that wonderful new position.

The only comment I would make is that your practise have been quick off the mark reducing your monitoring frequency, but if either of you have any concerns, please do ask for an interim test to ensure you are still on-track, as a lot can go wrong in a year. That's not gloom and doom, just suggesting caution.

Have you been doing any home finger prick testing along the way? If so, I'd suggest you carry that on, for a comfort factor things aren't going off-track. If you haven't it might be a useful way of self monitoring along the way. I personally find my own testing keeps me on the straight and narrow where an all-too-frequent "just the one" or "one can't hurt" could slip into my daily dialogue.

Really well done, and good luck with the future.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much for all your kind comments. Don't worry, Michael is still testing every other day to keep a check on his blood readings. He has lost so much weight which he didn't need to (presently only 8 stone 2lbs) and is trying to put weight on so needs to test as he is still learning what to eat in order to put weight on but keep the blood sugars down. It certainly is a balancing act! Obviously, once a diabetic, always a diabetic but it just goes to show, it can be done and I hope all these success stories will inspire others to take control of their own bodies. Thank goodness we found this site, otherwise I think things would be very different! Carol.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations to you both. Hope mine is at that level when I have my blood test in August. Keep up the good work.