Starting 8 week blood sugar diet on 2 May!

Mary_m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Is anybody else out there starting? Would be good to buddy up with someone. I'm type 2 diagnosed in Aug 2015.
Feeling excited and apprehensive

Reactions: 2 people

Jabbygirl

Is anybody else out there starting? Would be good to buddy up with someone. I'm type 2 diagnosed in Aug 2015.
Feeling excited and apprehensive

Hello Mary. After blood tests in September last year I was advised I was Pre-diabetic. I have tried unsuccesfully since then to lose weight to help reduce my blood sugar. I have only recently heard of this 8 week diet and bought the book yesterday. I am hoping to start next week and I am currently trying to plan my meals for next week for shopping later today. I would like to know ow you get along

Would be interested in how you get along with the diet. If we can help motivate each other that would be great

Edit by moderator: Posts Merged

Last edited by a moderator:

Mary_m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi There
I will be doing some shopping over the weekend too.
I will try the low carb Mediterranean style. My doctor said he will use me as a case study and has asked me to keep notes! Would be really useful to have somebody to share thoughts with

Mary_m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think it's really important that you nip it in the bud because once you are diagnosed it's really depressing and the medication is brutal. I wish I had taken action a lot earlier. Well done!

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
All the best Mary
I would tag @Roytaylorjasonfunglover and go around with all the threads on here on ND, its a difficult journey but well worth it.
What do you mean? I somebody went through my posts they will find lot of information about the newcastle diet so that would be an excellent idea!(if I may so myself :))

Mary_m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There are quite a few people on the forum who have done the diet, when I did it a couple of other people had started at around the same time (one within a day of me) and it was a great help exchanging notes as we went along - so I'd recommend the buddyying up system. There are a few surprises along the way so it's good to be able to know what other people are experiencing too.

Quite a few people have achieved fantastic results with this diet. I don't think many people would describe it as easy, but a lot seem to be able to stick at it - so good luck with it.
Many thanks! ☺I am going to find it difficult, but will have a go

Hildaandhoward

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just completed the 8 week BS diet, and lost 18lb. Now on to 5:2 . However took my own BS reading for the first time, fasting this morning and it was 7.6 . Considering I started in March with the same result , I am devastated. Or could the meter be wrong? Any suggestions.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If this was the first time then try it again, did you wash your hands with soap properly and then dried them with a clean towel. I dont even remember my first one but there are chances you can make mistakes.

EdMac

However took my own BS reading for the first time, fasting this morning and it was 7.6
A couple of thoughts:
- have you measured other readings other than fasting to see if there are changes there?
- did you set a target weight loss at the outset? There are numerous suggestions of 15% 20% etc But if the idea of a personal fat threshold is accurate then the weight you need to lose will be whatever is required to get you below your personal threshold (may be more than 18lbs). I lost over 30lbs and was aiming for another 10 to 14lbs through post diet activity. (and I was definitely not obese before hand).
- it doesn't have a 100% success rate at 'reversing' type 2. But the good news is if you continue to low carb and manage calorific intake there's a good chance you can, as have many members of this forum, keep your numbers in manageable range without any medication.
- what is your carb consumption like post diet?

Hildaandhoward

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A couple of thoughts:
- have you measured other readings other than fasting to see if there are changes there?
- did you set a target weight loss at the outset? There are numerous suggestions of 15% 20% etc But if the idea of a personal fat threshold is accurate then the weight you need to lose will be whatever is required to get you below your personal threshold (may be more than 18lbs). I lost over 30lbs and was aiming for another 10 to 14lbs through post diet activity. (and I was definitely not obese before hand).
- it doesn't have a 100% success rate at 'reversing' type 2. But the good news is if you continue to low carb and manage calorific intake there's a good chance you can, as have many members of this forum, keep your numbers in manageable range without any medication.
- what is your carb consumption like post diet?
Very low carb + fasting at the moment.

EdMac

BMI is 25.7
Fasting 5:2 , also 16:8 on some days

Ok well some people have to go to a lower BMI to use weight loss as a trigger to 'reverse' diabetes.

The 18lbs you lost just may not be enough yet. But you really need to be testing more than just FBG if possible?

And I'm not sure if being on a fasting diet impacts FBG readings, I haven't read up on that yet.

Also having reread your initial post it seems you're going off a single reading. You need more data to be drawing reliable conclusions.

EdMac

Thank you, I am 71 and new to this lark
Well you're already doing very well having lost 18lbs in 8 weeks. Personally I made my own mind up about when and how long to do the diet for and what to do next. Only you can know if you need to get medical advice about dieting etc.

By today's standards at 71 you're still a spring chicken, none the less I do wonder what impact age has on response and speed of response to these dietary interventions. From reading the 8WBSD book myself I recall concluding there are in fact multiple physiological mechanisms working in tandem. So it's little surprise that different people exhibit different responses and rates of response.

Hopefully you will get more input and experience from people on this forum - there are a lot who have undertaken the Newcastle diet and it's derivatives.

Good luck with your continued efforts :)