Low carb/no sugar sweets

BlaiseS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The treat kitchen do an amazing range of diabetic sweets! They even have cola cubes! I bought a selection for my T2 Dad at christmas and he says they taste exactly the same as regular sweets. Personally, I stick to small amounts of regular chocolate... funsize packs of malteasers are only 12.1 carbs so they're perfect for a snack!

Asimovhod

I suggest you steer clear of " sugar free', if it means that they are using aspartame or Sucralose.... as they are not good sweeteners! Stevia or Xylitol are much healthier... Just check which sweetener they are using! Good luck...
Just a heads up for any dog owners. Xylitol is deadly for dogs.

Olwin11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My son is type 1 and obviously he likes sweets etc like most children. Although I'd like to steer away from sugary sweets and maybe just have them as treats at parties etc. Does anybody know where you can get a range of low carb/low or no sugar sweets from. I've just ordered some from amazon but I can never seem to find any in supermarkets.
I I always go onto Amazon loads there

Fluke165

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My son is type 1 and obviously he likes sweets etc like most children. Although I'd like to steer away from sugary sweets and maybe just have them as treats at parties etc. Does anybody know where you can get a range of low carb/low or no sugar sweets from. I've just ordered some from amazon but I can never seem to find any in supermarkets.
Hi I have recently been diagnosed with type 2 and have been buying small bags of sugar free humbugs, Mintoes and lemon (something, sorry I forgot the name of them) from tesco with my home delivery. They dont taste any differently to the non sugar free versions, these bags are 66p a bag. Also Tango Orange 2 litres sugar free from there also and they are £1 at the moment. Hth Xx

t1caitlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I don't like it when people judge a book by its cover - like my illness is hidden so don't judge so quickly.
I find M&S good for a wide selection of hard boiled sugar free sweets - he may like butterscotch!
Also i believe Holland and Barretts do a range of low/no sugar chocolate sweets and bites. Also things like chocolate raisins etc.
And Werther's have now got a range of sugar free sweets.
I think apart from the odd packets in superstores , online may be the best option otherwise.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just recently bought some pure stevia sweetener sachets off amazon, but as I said, sweets & drinks are not so easy to come by.

Be a little careful with pure stevia as it's extremely sweet even in very small quantities and can leave an aftertaste, which some people find slightly odd or unpleasant. Watch too that it isn't bulked out with any starchy fillers to tone down this sweetness; it's best combined with powdered erythritol which is one of the few sugar alcohols recommended for diabetic use, and which doesn't have any unpleasant gastric side effects.

Have a look too on Google for low carb sweetie recipes, there are a number of them, e.g. mock Bounty bars that you can make yourself.

Robbity

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Boots also do a 'No Added Sugar' range of sweets. They do contain Maltitol and Sucralose, but the total carb content is about 3-4 carbs per sweet. I like the Chocolate Caramels and Mint Humbugs.

Sonnyboy123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
83fc0655486b5f8033579b60e53089ed.jpg
Please be careful with ALL of these 'sugar free' sweets. I got sucked in for years. Then one day I just glanced at the carb content. Between 83% and 97%!!!!! As we all know, carbs going into your body turn to sugar and my BG is lower since leaving them out of my diet.