Blood glucose testing

Swanny57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am type 2 diabetic, been on metformin but levels way to high, was given meter to check levels and go back to see nurse tomorrow think will change meds.
Do you feel it's a benefit to check your levels a lot? Not sure whether to ask if I can keep meter

Reactions: 2 people

DBolding

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it's good to check your BG to see how different food can affect your levels so you can learn what works for you and what doesn't.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
In my opinion it is essential to test if you want to learn how to bring your levels down. It is the only way to learn where you may be going wrong with your diet. Test before you eat then again a couple of hours after first bite and look at the rise. Anything more than 2mmol/l (preferably under 1.5mmol/l) and your meal needs tweaking by either reducing the portion sizes of any carbs in that meal, or eliminating them. If you do this and keep a food diary, recording your levels alongside, patterns will emerge and you will soon learn which foods are causing the rise. If you don't test you will never know!

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I've forgotten who said this (apologies to the OP) but would you drive a car without a speedo? Of course not.....

A meter is vital otherwise you won't have a clue about your BG levels.

Reactions: 2 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
I am type 2 diabetic, been on metformin but levels way to high, was given meter to check levels and go back to see nurse tomorrow think will change meds.
Do you feel it's a benefit to check your levels a lot? Not sure whether to ask if I can keep meter
Welcome to the forum Swanny57, ask any questions you like someone will always answer you. Yes as the other posts have said you do need to test or you will never have any idea of what you can tolerate or not . Good luck. :)

Swanny57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Saw nurse and she changef my meds but wouldn't let me keep the monitor said its not policy! !!!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Saw nurse and she changef my meds but wouldn't let me keep the monitor said its not policy! !!!
I'm sorry to here that but it comes as no surprise as is generally the answer we get it's nonsense of course but the NHS neither wants or can afford the cost of supplying all type 2's with meters and strips. So most of us have to self fund and we, well I do for one count it as money well spent.

Good luck John

DBolding

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Isn't there something in the NICR guidelines about type 2 diabetics being told they should be testing their BG when first diagnosed so that they could learn how to control their disease?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks will look at costs of buying my own

Many of us buy the Codefree because it has the cheapest strips. Meters are often given away for free, but beware and check the cost of the replacement test strips before you buy. You will need a lot of test strips. It is, of course, up to you which meter you buy.

Look here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

Pharmacies don't sell them. There are discount codes if you buy in bulk
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

Reactions: 3 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Isn't there something in the NICR guidelines about type 2 diabetics being told they should be testing their BG when first diagnosed so that they could learn how to control their disease?
As Swanny57 found out only in the short term.

Self-monitoring of blood glucose

1.6.12 Take the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) At a glance guide to the current medical standards of fitness to drive into account when offering self‑monitoring of blood glucose levels for adults with type 2 diabetes. [new 2015]
1.6.13 Do not routinely offer self-monitoring of blood glucose levels for adults with type 2 diabetes unless:
the person is on insulin or

there is evidence of hypoglycaemic episodes or

the person is on oral medication that may increase their risk of hypoglycaemia while driving or operating machinery or

the person is pregnant, or is planning to become pregnant. For more information, see the NICE guideline on diabetes in pregnancy. [new 2015]

1.6.14 Consider short-term self-monitoring of blood glucose levels in adults with type 2 diabetes (and review treatment as necessary):
when starting treatment with oral or intravenous corticosteroids or

to confirm suspected hypoglycaemia. [new 2015]

1.6.15 Be aware that adults with type 2 diabetes who have acute intercurrent illness are at risk of worsening hyperglycaemia. Review treatment as necessary. [new 2015]
1.6.16 If adults with type 2 diabetes are self‑monitoring their blood glucose levels, carry out a structured assessment at least annually. The assessment should include:
the person's self-monitoring skills

the quality and frequency of testing

checking that the person knows how to interpret the blood glucose results and what action to take

the impact on the person's quality of life

the continued benefit to the person

the equipment used. [2015]

Taken from here
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/NG28/chapter/1-Recommendations