Levemir alteration help

Keturah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I moved from lantus onto levemir just over a week ago and changed unit for unit as I was on split dose, but my sugars are bouncing back and I've had a complete blank as to higher or lower the doses to fix the problem.
It's holding me too high, so I'm dropping to a decent level then an hour later I've shot back up again. I'm on 14 am and 12 pm currently and am too high both am and pm.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Levemir is a basal insulin and if you're having short-term issues, that may be an issue with your bolus (fast-acting) insulin.

If your basal insulin is set perfectly, your levels should remain constant without food.

DR_Hornet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Levemir is a basal insulin and if you're having short-term issues, that may be an issue with your bolus (fast-acting) insulin.
So I moved from lantus onto levemir just over a week ago and changed unit for unit as I was on split dose, but my sugars are bouncing back and I've had a complete blank as to higher or lower the doses to fix the problem.
It's holding me too high, so I'm dropping to a decent level then an hour later I've shot back up again. I'm on 14 am and 12 pm currently and am too high both am and pm.

If your basal insulin is set perfectly, your levels should remain constant without food.

I am on Levemir and it follows a pattern every day. It may not be perfect but if you understand the patter it can work. . Basically in the morning my sugars go up and I need to make a small quick acting adjustment and in the late afternoon it drops down, so I have something to eat to counter it.

But if I do this the rest of he 24 hours is great. The best thing is that my night levels stay fairly consistent, so I know I'm getting a solid 10 hours + at a excellent bg level.

Keturah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's definitely long-acting, my sugars start climbing after short-acting has worn off. It happened before, years ago when I was on lantus and I managed to fix it after a few days of fiddling but I can't remember now if I put units up or down. I think I'll just have to trial and error again.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hey @Keturah
it might be a good idea for you to sort of start over and have a look at basal testing .
that is the key to getting things right for you.
link here http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007
have a look at this and you should be able to get your backgrounds right over the next few weeks ( it won't happen in 1 or 2 nights )

keep us posted on how you progress

all the best !!