Refused Flu Tablets at the Chemist

sallyj123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have got a stinking cold, and I went to the chemist to pick up my normal meds and asked for some Beechams Flu tablets, and the chemist refused to sell them to me, saying I cannot take Flu tablets with my meds, I know I can just go and buy them else where, but I was interested to know if any of you do take them. Or have been advised not to take them I have taken them before with no side effects as I brought them at a supermarket, and never gave it a though. but now I am a worried about taking them but I need to work and I need to get this cold under control.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you on any blood pressure medicines? If so they say you shouldn't take phenylephrine, one of the ingredients of Beecham's flu tablets, as it can spike you blood pressure.

Kate

sallyj123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am, have been for a while, I had no idea I couldn't take flu tablets, I have always taken them and not given it a second thought, you say it can spike your blood pressure, does that mean all flu tablets?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am, have been for a while, I had no idea I couldn't take flu tablets, I have always taken them and not given it a second thought, you say it can spike your blood pressure, does that mean all flu tablets?
Unfortunately yes! Paracetamol seems to be the only thing that you can take and, to be quite honest, they're not very effective for a bad cold. I always ask the chemist for advice with over the counter pills etc because I'm on BP and Thyroid tablets and my husband is on Warfarin and beta blockers so it is a bit of a nightmare. We have the same problems with cough medicine and anti-inflammatory pills and ointments.

Reactions: 2 people

sallyj123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately yes! Paracetamol seems to be the only thing that you can take and, to be quite honest, they're not very effective for a bad cold. I always ask the chemist for advice with over the counter pills etc because I'm on BP and Thyroid tablets and my husband is on Warfarin and beta blockers so it is a bit of a nightmare. We have the same problems with cough medicine and anti-inflammatory pills and ointments.
wow I didn't know any of this.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Sorry but welcome to the grin and bare it club I'm on BP tablets and have found the same not only that but having MG and Asthma paracetamol is the strongest painkiller I am allowed. As most of the stronger ones are either opiate based or turn to opiate like substances in the body, which depress breathing.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
One of the first things after being diagnosed by my endocrinologist, was a warning about over the counter cold and flu meds.
I was told only paracetamol, no other at all, because of side effects of the excessive sugar in those products.

Man flu twice and constant dripping nose through the winter.
You just have to get on with it!

S

Shar67

My husband has just been told this as well, he has a stinking cold and feels rough, he is using Olbas oil as a rub, the pharmacist persuaded him to try a Brittany sea salt nasal spray, seemingly it's supposed to clear sinuses.

Actaeon70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Noise, drunk people
Nobody has ever mentioned this to me. As a painkiller, ibuprofen is my first choice, but for cold remedies I tend to use those containing paracetamol (reluctantly - an acquaintance unwittingly used too many different items containing this and the results were fatal).

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Isn't it 'funny' when doctor prescribe for you VERY strong combination painkillers, to last 3 months at the time for horrid leg pain ...that is 'ok' and nobody ask any questions if I could/should take it (instruction leaflet did mention that not for diabetics!). But when you have bad cold...then all hell breaks out and I'm about to 'die' if they dare to sell some painkillers for me..:rolleyes:
Well..those VERY strong pain killers turn out to be useless..it was statin pain...:banghead:
I've also been refused to sell some over the counter Canesten cream...for the external itch, and just because I'm diabetic:banghead:According one chemist, I should have referral letter from doctor so they can sell it for me!!?? Where an earth I'm going to get letter AND appointment in weekend for skin ripping itch! :banghead: And I would doubt doctor would be pleased if I would waste their valuable time for that:rolleyes:
So..I walked into other chemist, not a single question asked! Enquired my experience from previous place and they were baffled???
The same 'no sell' chemist always ask so many questions, no matter what I buy, if I have any existing conditions..at first I was honest and told them. But because they are much more convenient place for me to visit..I started to say simple no..no problems..and with that 'declaration' they would sell anything they could. Now I avoid them for the principle..people on till have not got
any formal training but follow 'skript'..standard set of questions and refer to proper chemist at the back room if there is any issues. Lets say it is one of the leading supermarket's pharmacy, but I've put quality over the convenience.
The chemist I go now I value better for right info than what I get from GP!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to pipe up, one of the things you CAN take as a diabetic (don't know if it contraindicates with bp meds) is Nightnurse capsules.
- not the liquid, it must be the capsules.

And I have to say, they are brilliant. They help get a good night's sleep during a cold/virus/flu which makes a huge difference to your misery levels the next day.

But please, do check for any interactions with other meds, incl bp meds.

Reactions: 2 people

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
I have just finished being in a clinical trial where they were looking at paracetamol and blood pressure. They think anyone with raised BP should not take paracetamol as it pushes it up. The next one apparently is the relationship between diabetes meds and BP levels.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Just to pipe up, one of the things you CAN take as a diabetic (don't know if it contraindicates with bp meds) is Nightnurse capsules.
- not the liquid, it must be the capsules.

And I have to say, they are brilliant. They help get a good night's sleep during a cold/virus/flu which makes a huge difference to your misery levels the next day.

But please, do check for any interactions with other meds, incl bp meds.
Useful to know...I might need NN soon..:rolleyes: Last couple of days I have been thinking 'it must the pollen in the air' when I have been sneezing and blowing my nose in ever increasing space....but this morning I woke up feeling rough and snotty :banghead: ARGGGH!...no wonder my readings have been steadily coming up too..all this sun and warm weather and I'm having COLD!:sour:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know it might suck but pharmacists (rather than assistants) do tend to have a better/wider understanding of drugs than doctors - their job *is* drugs, that's what they trained to do. However I'd ask them their advice next time, if they can suggest an alternative - as just saying no wasn't particularly helpful of them.

Doctors can diagnose and such but very often I've seen mine refer to the reference books for what drug they think will work best in place of one I've said I can't/won't (I'm vegetarian so no capsules) take.

Get well soon :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have just finished being in a clinical trial where they were looking at paracetamol and blood pressure. They think anyone with raised BP should not take paracetamol as it pushes it up. The next one apparently is the relationship between diabetes meds and BP levels.
Basically, meds interact and increase the risk of dying. Oh well. That's life. Accept the risk and make a decision is my mantra. I think they should publish the relative increase in risk on all med/condition interaction statements.

bmorgen

If your BP is completely controlled by BP meds, then phenylephrine seems unlikely to raise your BP anymore than it does for anyone else with normal BP. If your BP is not being controlled by your meds, you should consider getting different (or more) meds.

AnnKelcey

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have got a stinking cold, and I went to the chemist to pick up my normal meds and asked for some Beechams Flu tablets, and the chemist refused to sell them to me, saying I cannot take Flu tablets with my meds, I know I can just go and buy them else where, but I was interested to know if any of you do take them. Or have been advised not to take them I have taken them before with no side effects as I brought them at a supermarket, and never gave it a though. but now I am a worried about taking them but I need to work and I need to get this cold under control.
My advice is to always ask for the advice of a pharmacist before taking 'over the counter' medications. They have a wealth of knowledge. I hope you soon feel better