? Reaction to insulin

jocat44

hi since mid Feb I've been using humulin I as my basal insulin, my right thigh where I inject my 8 units in the morning is ok apart from occasional bruising. Have now changed to 4 MM needles to try and prevent this brushing. My problem is my left thigh where I inject my bedtime basal, this is currently 33 units although still titrating up to try to get better am blood glucose readings. My thigh keeps coming up in red marks which are itchy, the red marks then settle down into bruising. Surely if I was allergic to the humulin I I would react both legs, not just my left
Thanks
Jo

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you inject all 33 units in one place in one go? You might want to consider splitting it in half and doing it in two separate injections - I have a feeling that the larger the dose in one place at one time the more likely you are to have pooling and possibly problems with absorption. I'm not sure if pooling causes itchy redness though. Hopefully someone with a better idea will help soon.

jocat44

Thanks catapiller hadn't thought about splitting the dose, would you use two different needles as two injections, I always change my needle cause scared of it breaking if use more than once, the 4mm are so tiny
Jo

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I split a dose I tend not to change the needle. But I think the best advice is you probably are supposed to. Not because there is any risk of the needle breaking, but it always going to hurt less and be better for you to use a new needle, especially if you are prone to bruising.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Ten yrs ago I was injecting huge amounts of insulin in my thighs but I was told initially to pinch some flesh then inject.
On mixed insulin in my tummy so far more fat and I was told to inject directly and straight to prevent bruising. I very rarely bruise and I sometimes need 80units.
Does a fatty area bruise less?

jocat44

Hi ickihun I inject humulin I in my thighs difficult to pinch there, not as overweight as rest of me. I use tummy for novorapid but still get some bruises and plenty of fat there. Have libre on upper arm so running out of other major sites to inject. Have changed to 4 mm needles bd micro fine in past month still painful and bruising though an improvement on the 5 mm needles
Jo

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What about the bum? I was advised to do my bedtime injection there as it would be absorbed more slowly.