Metformin, my friend or enemy?

Mymuppy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you jay ney 1966, for replying to my post I am so very grateful for everyone's help and advice, I was just about to take my tablet Metformin s/r but I put it back in the box.I really am in in whirl with this, I shall have to make a decision one way or the other, you mentioned my heart, I have a pacemaker...so the yes camp gets a tick in the box, then the other symptoms happen, this morning, my left knee would not hold me, my legs to give way (disabled) but not like this morning, so a cross in the no box! That's without all the other side effects, Oldvatr, desidiabulum, you also mentioned.
Thank you very much I am very grateful. I will sort this out, I have to..kind regards kathy

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you jay ney 1966, for replying to my post I am so very grateful for everyone's help and advice, I was just about to take my tablet Metformin s/r but I put it back in the box.I really am in in whirl with this, I shall have to make a decision one way or the other, you mentioned my heart, I have a pacemaker...so the yes camp gets a tick in the box, then the other symptoms happen, this morning, my left knee would not hold me, my legs to give way (disabled) but not like this morning, so a cross in the no box! That's without all the other side effects, Oldvatr, desidiabulum, you also mentioned.
Thank you very much I am very grateful. I will sort this out, I have to..kind regards kathy
Good luck. You can always change your mind later - either way.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been taking Metformin for 7 years. The first 2 years were hell with sickness, stomach disturbances and the runs. After that they changed it to the slow release version and I've been much better. Started off ever so slow with the dose. Eventually asked to see a consultant who sorted me out in one month with other drugs and asked if I could manage to take even a half of a metformin tablet, it would help. Did this and slowly upped it to 2 a day. Now inject Victoza but still managing to tolerate the met formin. Try and keep going with it as it helps protects your heart and kidneys etc. If you are getting nowhere with the Dr or Nurse insist to be referred to a Consultant. Good Luck
Just what my doctor said any dose however low of Metformin is better than none at all

ahoyle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
bad manners and bullies.
Hi. Although Metformin vanilla version can and often does cause a variety or stomach/bowel upset, the SR version normally avoids that. It is a well proven drug, very safe and with few other side effects so I don't agree with the earlier post. It does reduce the appetite a bit (it started life as an appetite suppressant), reduces the liver's background glycogen output a bit, slightly reduces the re-absorption of glucose from the bowel and helps remove insulin resistance from the muscles. It's not a miracle cure by any means but helps a bit.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi I have changed to the SR version of Metformin and have no problems with it like the standard ones gave me, bloated, upset tummy all the time etc; hope this helps.

ahoyle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
bad manners and bullies.
When I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic in February1996 aged 48 and had lost weight, was always thirsty and weak, even walking upstairs was a great effort. There had been a major family upset (I only mention this, in case anyone else had a similar experience) and which may have had something to do with the onset of their diabetes. I was a size 12/14 5'3" and have always been fairly slim. I was put on Glicazide and Metformin. I lost more weight, my blood glucose levels were very high although I was doing everything I was told. I was so hungry at bedtime I even resorted to eating raw mushrooms.

I was on the maximum dosage of 4 Glicazide and 4 Metformin per day in no time but still struggling and being told I was eating all the wrong things. Two and a half years later, after a tough time, a different Diabetic Consultant told me that I was type 1 and not type 2. I was put on a night injection of insulin, Lantis Glargine at first and soon after I was on 3 more injections of Humalog before meals. For sixteen years now I have been stable and have coped pretty well. The pentype needles are so fine , just pinch a little flesh and its absolutely no problem and hardly felt at all. Walking a couple of miles per day is the answer for me. Always carrying glucose tablets of course and testing blood levels at least twice a day.

Just as a matter of interest my doctor recently tried me again with 1 Metformin. I always maintained that Metformin made me feel ill. Again I began to feel ill (I really do not think it was my imagination) so I took myself off it, he agreed that it must not be good for me. As far as I am aware it is good for suppressing appetite and therefore weight loss.
That's how it was for me. We are all different and recently I have found out that I have a severe allergy to yellow dye (E104 Quinoline. I cannot remember if the coating of the table was yellow or not.
I am 68 now fairly fit, apart from acid reflux and the usual knee and joint pain. I am trying to lose a stone in weight and reduce my waist size. Good luck to the newly diagnosed, especially diabetic children out there. I have learned a lot over the years through trial and error. I' m sure, however, some clever **** will find fault with this - but this is my story

Mymuppy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for all your help, I have thought, rather than taking 1 Metformin s/r x 500mg per day, take, 1 every other day? I have the flu at present, apart from severe joint aches, and my usual pain in my legs, my joints just want hold me...
I keep looking at my nails to see if they have started peeling in layers...
There is a lot of media regarding diabetes, causes, smoking, over eating, Un healthy life style..highest rise in diabetes on record etc., but no one mentions hereditary, my mum had diabetes in the early/middle 60's., she passed away 6 years ago, mum was in her late 70's., her father and her grandmother were also diabetic, her grandmother passing in her 40's, no where near the knowledge we have now., so that's where I have mine from. No flag waving here intended, I've never smoked, occasionally a glass of wine Christmas etc...was always busy, a family to look after, kept myself in shape..please forgive me....I hate diabetes! There I've said it! My sincere apologies to many who have this awful Illness, dear little children, who have to inject themselves.it might be the flu malingering me moan! Best wishes to all. Kathy

Mymuppy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry I ment she had her diabetes diagnosed in her early 60's...phew sweating...it just goes on...

Romeran

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Les.ball. Thanks so much for your common sense and humerous letter. I am in my eighties and, after reading some of the posts over the last few weeks just became worried that I had been getting it all wrong! After 18 years of T2 I have no complications and am lucky enough to have strong legs so I continue to take lovely walks and a little yoga at home. I am experimenting with exercise classes for the elderly but mostly feel happier in the open air and, yes, I remind myself that I could die tomorrow from something unrelated to diabetes. This puts any worries into proportion!

Reactions: 4 people

Mymuppy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello Les, thank you for writing, I have just seen your post.
I'm so pleased you are enjoying life and managing your diabetes., long may it continue!
Very best wishes, take care kathy.

raineday

Metformin does have unfortunate but well documented side effects. Stomach cramping, abdominal pain due to wind, bloating, and bouts of the runs (I cannot spell the correct term for this) are all possible. The S/R version is supposed to reduce these effects.
As regards diabetes it was pointed out above that Metformin has a limited function in reducing bgl levels. There are better meds now for that, and better diets too. There is evidence that Metformin is the safest drug for diabetics to take, and it provides protection for other organs in the body, esp the heart. Apparently it also reduces appetite, but some cynics here will say that is the bloating doing that ! Also, metformin is acknowledged as helping to reduce insulin resistance. It is a good drug to take if you can tolerate it.
Gave me male patterned baldness :(

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gave me male patterned baldness :(
small pice to pay. My son is having chemotherapy, and is losing his hair as we speak. I will soon have more hair than him - all over. And he used to laugh at my solar panel.
Metformin is keeping me alive, and with less concern.

raineday

small pice to pay. My son is having chemotherapy, and is losing his hair as we speak. I will soon have more hair than him - all over. And he used to laugh at my solar panel.
Metformin is keeping me alive, and with less concern.
I'm sorry i thought this was a discussion about metaformin on a diabetic site, not a comparison site to chemo, i hope your son gets better but i do not need to be told that my hair loss is a small price to pay, i find that not only insulting but also it's an insult to your child, for point scoring off a serious situation

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm sorry i thought this was a discussion about metaformin on a diabetic site, not a comparison site to chemo, i hope your son gets better but i do not need to be told that my hair loss is a small price to pay, i find that not only insulting but also it's an insult to your child, for point scoring off a serious situation
If you knew my family then you would know that all of us in it use humour to combat adversity. My son has today posted FB photo's of himself with no hair or beard. He is proud of how he is handling the situation, and is not phased at all by this side effect.

Thank you for your comment. I hope you are never in this position wrt cancer. I note that Male Pattern Baldness is a natural process, and is not notably linked to taking any medication. It is more likely to be a result of B12 deficiency, which Metformin can lower.

See also:
http://patient.info/health/male-pattern-baldness

Meanwhile please continue to use this thread for a discussion on Metformin, and ignore my attempt to hijack it for point scoring as you put it..

Last edited by a moderator:

raineday

If you knew my family then you would know that all of us in it use humour to combat adversity. My son has today posted FB photo's of himself with no hair or beard. He is proud of how he is handling the situation, and is not phased at all by this side effect.

Thank you for your comment. I hope you are never in this position wrt cancer. I note that Male Pattern Baldness is a natural process, and is not notably linked to taking any medication. It is more likely to be a result of B12 deficiency, which Metformin can lower.

See also:
http://patient.info/health/male-pattern-baldness

Meanwhile please continue to use this thread for a discussion on Metformin, and ignore my attempt to hijack it for point scoring as you put it..
Sorry but if you knew my family you would know that i lost my husband and my 2 children lost their father to cancer thank you very much ! and he fought very hard to survive...male pattern baldness by the way used to be listed as a side effect of metaformin a good few years ago, i can assure you i do not have a B12 deficiency