Medtronic recommendations to NHS to drive quicker turnaround and greater profit?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Medtronic are recommending set changes every two days and reservoir changes every three via the clinics who provide the pumps.

In the past sets have always been three days unless issues and reservoirs seven days.

What do you think of these recommendations? I know my thoughts!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I use my sets for 3 days and my cartridge for about 6 days just depends when it's empty there is no difference what so ever in my blood sugar results doing this. I wont be changing the routine just to make more money for pump manufactures.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Medtronic are recommending set changes every two days and reservoir changes every three via the clinics who provide the pumps.

What is their reasoning behind this new recommendation?

iHs

Interesting as Animas also state the same.
I just do as CarbsRok but I suspect that if more sets and cartridges are going to be needed every month, then there will be a subtle clamp down on CCG funding making it more difficult.

I think though that Tim has just been given 'newbie' advice to get him used to filling reservoirs and change ginger sets ok

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do a set change every 2 days as I use the sure t steel cannula's and apparently you're more prone to infection than with the plastic ones, but I change my reservoir as n when needed, been advised to change that at the same time but I refuse to waste perfectly good insulin

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I do set changes every 3 days and reservoirs every 3 days,I asked my 'Endo' why change reservoirs every 3 days and his reply was that insulin starts to deteriorate after 3 days when stored in plastic.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I change sets every two or three days. I only change reservoirs when I need to.

I was told about the insulin 'deteriorating' in plastic too, but I was told it was 6 days.

I much preferred my old pump that just took normal 3ml glass pen cartridges. Easy, quick and I changed cartridge every 12 days. But why have those pen cartridges when you can make extra money on reservoirs, eh?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The user guide states two to three days on sets. The DSN said that "Medtronic say change them every two days" so it's part of their spiel.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I asked my 'Endo' why change reservoirs every 3 days and his reply was that insulin starts to deteriorate after 3 days when stored in plastic.

I was told about the insulin 'deteriorating' in plastic too, but I was told it was 6 days.

You learn something new everyday.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I was told this as well, but when I had the 300unit cartridge from my previous pump and using a lot less insulin I would go 13 or 14 days with one cartridge.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was told this as well, but when I had the 300unit cartridge from my previous pump and using a lot less insulin I would go 13 or 14 days with one cartridge.

Yes, I ignore that and change it when necessary. I've not noticed any problems :)

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I change every 3 days told to do so when I got the pump by DSN.