Type 2 Life

D

debrasue

Morning all 6.5 this morning getting ready for appiontment at eye hospital and here in sutton, Birmingham just had heavy downpour! Gonna warm up but heavy rain tonight. Have good day everyone
Good luck, Maureen - we're thinking about you x

D

debrasue

Morning all, you lot have been busy haven't you! Thanks for the chuckles :) I ran out of test strips for my Accu Chek yesterday so I've switched to my Code Free meter. Got a surprise when it said 7.7! I hope that's just an anomaly, I can't switch back to the Accu Chek until Thursday when I get my benefits. At least I got a better nights sleep last night, I feel almost human this morning :) Have a good day everyone
I get higher readings with CodeFree too - usually at least 1 point higher than Nexus.
Love the new avatar!

D

debrasue

Don't get me going on taxi fares I have to be at Queens at 7 AM tomorrow can't take car bus and tram trip takes about 2 hours and bus not running till way to late taxi fare when we enquired is £57 flippen heck.
Good luck for tomorrow, John x

D

debrasue

H

when I was in Iran OFTEN water & electric went of for many hours, didn't have baby wipes, creams, nappies nothink! Had no washing machine! Could go on, life was hard, no ready made meals, had to kill, pluck, ect chicken, fish meat the lot, veg you blanched for freezer when in season, and had to wear Islamic dress! Plus the bombs!!! But I loved the culture.

Sorry cut myself of. Meant to say ban aunties, life would be much easier, I had same problem with in-laws, nightmare
Wow - you have certainly had an interesting life so far, Maureen!

S

Sable_Jan

@eldergarth, what a lovely offer to @JohnEGreen.
're the Codefree (can't recall who mentioned it) there was lots of discussion about it last year and about certain batches of strips. Some wrote to manufacturer, some started testing with two meters but on the whole the conclusion was that for those who had to buy, it was cheap and acceptable; it did read within tolerance range; it still shows if you gone over your "spike" allowance.
Just back from Nina's walk. Gorgeous day cos there's a nice cool breeze with that lovely golden ball in the clear blue sky

Reactions: 4 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Don't get me going on taxi fares I have to be at Queens at 7 AM tomorrow can't take car bus and tram trip takes about 2 hours and bus not running till way to late taxi fare when we enquired is £57 flippen heck.
@JohnEGreen message @eldergarth asap and take up that offer.
Let us know how the appointment goes guys. Thanks @eldergarth you're a darling. :)

Reactions: 2 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Quick dip in, having lunch break. Absolutely glorious out there, really warm and not a cloud in the sky. Going outside to eat lunch so have a great day. :)

Reactions: 8 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Having a rough day. Eyes kept open with matchsticks and a naughty toddler.
Roll on september. I'll be buying bunting and flags at this rate. Ha ha

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
that's disgusting john I would more than happy to come and take you and drop you home again I'm in the same neck of woods as you and of sick all week because of my hip just say there word and I will be there
@eldergarth I honestly am overwhelmed by your generous offer and don't know what so say really except thank you but have made arrangements to get to Hucknall and the tram from there stops at Queens. so I will manage with out dragging you out at such an ungodly hour. After I get out and am back on my feet would be happy to meet some time and I'll buy you a nice low carb beer if you like.:)

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My first podiatry appointment today after 3 cancellations! Told it's just the assessment so shan't be expecting a full pedicure this time ;)

Still fussing over which meter to order. Using the GlucoRX Nexus given to me by the nurse on diagnosis. Ordered 50 strips today - 35p each. I think SD Codefree is more like 15p each? Was aiming for one that would update my iPhone (and therefore Health app) - but the Accu Chek Connect, even if available, is looking like 38p a strip .... all adds up and money I'd prefer to spend on something else. SD Codefree also seemed to score highly on accuracy, something I didn't think would vary.

15p a strip is around £380 a year - 38p = £970 a year (based on 7 tests a day). I've decided I don't need automatic entry, I'll have the moment in my pocket LOL

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I find the code free is at least one point, can be up to 2 points higher that my Nipro true you meter, and that is every time I test

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find the code free is at least one point, can be up to 2 points higher that my Nipro true you meter, and that is every time I test

Interesting and thanks for your reply. I'm going to have to read lots of posts to make my mind up ... but many people seem very happy with SD meter

eldergarth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
marmite peanut butter
@eldergarth I honestly am overwhelmed by your generous offer and don't know what so say really except thank you but have made arrangements to get to Hucknall and the tram from there stops at Queens. so I will manage with out dragging you out at such an ungodly hour. After I get out and am back on my feet would be happy to meet some time and I'll buy you a nice low carb beer if you like.:)
you are very welcome john and the offer is there if ever needed I would be awake as struggle with sleep at moment with the pain in my hip . I have the forum app on my phone so just message me if you change your mind or something goes wrong
cheers for the beer
ron

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
do all type two diabetics need to monitor their blood levels as I have never been told to I am on metformin 4x500 mg per day

Hi @JimRoden you don't need to monitor your blood levels, many type II choose too. I follow a LCHF diet and by monitoring your blood levels you will know how the food affects your levels. I test before/after eating - it helps my management.

PS Health professionals will tell you no need to test, most people on here ignore this advice I think

S

Sable_Jan

do all type two diabetics need to monitor their blood levels as I have never been told to I am on metformin 4x500 mg per day
Usually told NOT to test but many of us believe the only way to gain and maintain control is to test before and after meals to see what effects our food is having on blood sugar levels. A diet lower in carbs (includes anything with flour, pastry, bread, cakes, pasta and sugar obviously) and the carbs that are eaten are the "whole" versions (brown rice, wholewheat breads pasta etc) to keep blood sugar levels under control ...
Check out posts about LCHF which I believe thread is a whole section on the forum.
It's too much to explain in one post but read and learn and test test test....(in pre by the way and had I not got a meter would have been type 2 by now with the advice of just cutting down/out sugary stuff (my downfall has always been thick slices of bread)

S

Sable_Jan

Hi @JimRoden you don't need to monitor your blood levels, many type II choose too. I follow a LCHF diet and by monitoring your blood levels you will know how the food affects your levels. I test before/after eating - it helps my management.

PS Health professionals will tell you no need to test, most people on here ignore this advice I think

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
patronising people an those who lie.
Ron was on gliclazide and had to test cause it can cause hypos but other wise people are told that they don't need to , but most do . Even now Ron still does .

Reactions: 6 people
C

catherinecherub

You did ask this question before @JimRoden.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/why-do-some-type-twos-have-to-monitor.98964/
Could you start a thread about how you are progressing and any difficulties that you may be having and then @daisy1 can give you some basic information which includes levels you should be aiming for. Without a meter you will not know what your blood sugar levels are.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@JimRoden - Hi.:) A Blood Glucose Meter is a vital piece of a Diabetic's equipment, it allows us to test and see what foods raise our blood sugars and those that don't. I would consider purchasing a Meter and take control of your Diabetes.