Is there a relationship between heel spur and diabetes?

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Is there a relationship between plantar fasciitis (heel spur) and diabetes?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Ardbeg said:

Plantar Fasciitis is caused by abnormal pronation of the foot. Contributing factors are obesity, weight gain, jobs that require a lot of walking or standing on hard surfaces, badly worn shoes with little support, and also inactivity. Not everything is caused by Diabetes.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
cugila said:
Not everything is caused by Diabetes.

Yes cugila I've been doing more research again. :oops:

This is yet another one of my ailments I'd forgotten about.

Seems the common link with all my "conditions" is obesity!!!

Good news - 6 days off the booze and watching what I eat and I'm down to 17 stone (half a stone weight loss) :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Jim.

I think you are doing more research than I do........you promised !! :twisted:

Now if you were to spend all that energy exercising more you could have probably lost another half stone..... :wink:

Seriously, keep it up, the weight loss is really good. :D

Robbie34

Ardbeg said:
Are you taking a statin?

I suffered from this for some years. Had X rays, NSAIDs, gel inserts for my shoes. After reading an article in the Sunday Telegraph I stopped taking my statin - Pravastatin 40mg - and it cleared up after a couple of days. I started taking the statin again and my symptoms returned. I then stopped taking the statin until I returned home from France. When I saw my GP he agreed that Pravastatin was the culprit, and changed my medication to Lipitor, and I have been pain free for over two years.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Ardberg.
there's a genetic foot structure variation( too common to be a deformity) called "Morton's foot" which often suffers from Plantar fascitis. It isn't inevitable though. I have Morton's feet, but only ever had the plantar once, years ago.
Well fitting shoes help. Preferably ones that fasten on. Slip-ons tend to become slip-offs, which aggravate it.
Hana
Ps I do get ingrowing toenails from the Morton's feet shape.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Thanks for the replies.

I'm diet only and do not take any medication at all at the moment.

I too now have inserts (from Boots) in all my footwear which keep it at bay. If I wear shoes or slippers without the inserts I do get discomfort after a few hours. My only other foot ailment (he says touching wood) is a fungal infection on my big toe nails, which seems to have cleared up on it's own recently.