Does it get better? Tell me your experience

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think it's also worth putting @Bowlerguy's statement in context. If you are diagnosed T1 at an early age, your likelihood of complications is statistically greater than those diagnosed as adults, mainly down to a couple of things. One is that the time it takes for beta cells to be destroyed as an adult, is, for the most part, a lot slower and secondly as an adult it tends to be easier to regulate your glucose levels as you don't go through the hormonal variation that you would as an infant. That said, as you get older and become more familiar with how it works, I'd say you become more familiar with it and the foibles.

It will just become another part of life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LucyM88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it's also worth putting @Bowlerguy's statement in context. If you are diagnosed T1 at an early age, your likelihood of complications is statistically greater than those diagnosed as adults, mainly down to a couple of things. One is that the time it takes for beta cells to be destroyed as an adult, is, for the most part, a lot slower and secondly as an adult it tends to be easier to regulate your glucose levels as you don't go through the hormonal variation that you would as an infant. That said, as you get older and become more familiar with how it works, I'd say you become more familiar with it and the foibles.

It will just become another part of life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very true! Sometimes i think how different things would be if I was diagnosed a few years later than at 12 years old. I would of been mature about it.
Would rather not have it at all but there you go! Haha!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very true! Sometimes i think how different things would be if I was diagnosed a few years later than at 12 years old. I would of been mature about it.
Would rather not have it at all but there you go! Haha!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app
It's easier. While I don't know for sure, I feel pretty confident in saying that.

I was "Lucky" enough to be diagnosed in my late twenties. Just as you mentioned, I'd rather not have it at all, but this was just about the perfect time to get diagnosed.

I never had to deal with the insecurities people deal with having diabetes in their teens and the desire to want to be just like everyone else. At that age, the toughest part of fitting in with everyone was buying the same clothes they all wore. As I got older, I did my fair share of dumb stuff in college/university, but diabetes was never a part of that equation. I never had to worry about taking my insulin after nights of poor eating, or worrying about checking my blood sugar during a party with the rest of my friends. I'm also very fortunate that affordability (I live in the US) is now no longer an issue like it once was in my early-mid 20s.

I'm at a point in my life now where I feel that diabetes makes me unique...and I like being unique. I'm also at a point where my priorities in life are much different than they were at 13-25.

Speaking to the thread title "Does it get better?" I can't say for sure because I never knew what it was like to have diabetes as a kid, but I'm pretty confident in saying that it's a lot easier now than it probably would have been in my teenage years.

bigboi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well Lucy it sounds like you're getting A LOT of useful information to sort through so I'll limit my comments to letting you know I have been a type one for over 43 years and use a philosophy from one of my early doctors who told me that he would rather have me around 200 mg/dl than being low. I know this isn't what most people consider the optimum but I say it to let you know you are the best judge of how your body is doing. I use an medtronics insulin pump and test all day long (6-10 times) so even when I am high I can correct it quickly. I eat when I am hungry and don't have a "special diet" other than limiting my sugars. Fortunately I'm not a dessert person so it's not too tough on me. My endocrinologist has learned to live with my style and I see her every 3 mos. or so to check and make a few pump adjustments. I do not have any eye, kidney, feet, heart, etc. probs. so she is OK with what I do. I've been on the pump since 2000 and now I swear by it. Don't know if you are using one or not because many of the comments use names and terms not familiar to me here in the states. I just want you to know that you can live with this, and live well. I became diabetic at 31 which they said was unusual for a type one but made it all the way to here with 3 kids, 8 grand kids, 7 great grand kids, a great wife of 56 years and a Christian life style. So hang in there and don't let it get you down.

Thanks for sharing that!! I think us diabetics dream and need to hear that now and again.. U have made alot happy telling us that, me included!!