Whoopsie, new and ketotic!

JJO

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there!

Not sure where to start!

So about 3-4 years ago was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic (with all the symptoms). Big shock and a massive lifestyle change, completely changed diet. Had an initial response with my BM's falling to 'normal' target range. However it was becoming increasingly hard to control my BM with diet alone. I'd lost weight (lost 60+kg) and worked hard at the diet. Met a new diabetic consultant who ran a battery of new tests and what not. I was found to be GAD+ve and most likely LADA but we're still not sure. Consultant was happy to keep me off insulin for a little while so long as my HBa1c didn't rise (which it didn't!)

Had a bad couple of weeks, lower will power, higher stress levels and the introduction of gliclazide, which was all enough to push me over the edge and have sugars sufficient enough to throw my ketones way up! 26 hours in A+E / hospital was sufficient to get me started on a new insulin regime. Still don't have a formal diagnosis, guessing I might never get a straight answer but after a lot of reading around LADA and the deteroriation following gliclazide I'm happy enough to consider myself 1.5 but going to call myself type 1 for the sake of ease with family and friends!!

After 4 years of a very controlled diet it feels odd to be a little more liberated and trying what a 'normal' diet is like. Now a week into the new regime, learning the hard way what my daily hypo feels like as well as learning that hypo's don't give me the free pass to eat all the cake I want!

For the past 2 years my HBa1c has been around 60mmol/mol or 7.6%.
Current med regime is 15u levemir and 5u of novarapid with my meals, not adjusting dosage dependent on each meal (yet, assuming I will be clever enough at some point to that!).

Just wanted to say hi and give a bit of background on me in case anyone else is going through similar...

Josh

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi josh wow you have gone through a journey and a half! I imagine it's odd going from two to one type?
I have always been one but the forum has all sorts of experiences.
First hypos and for hypers were tough and it can feel like a juggling act with everything. I hope you find away to feel you can get what you need to support your new pathway

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @JJO :)

Hopefully, your diabetic journey will be a smoother one :)

Have a read of the forum and feel free to ask any - and as many - questions as you want.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. I too went from 2 to 1 but found the diet I ate as a 2 works best for me now too. You are correct, pumping yourself full of insulin to eat a piece of cake does not generally work. The problem is getting the insulin there at the same time as the cake is tricky. For me impossible. I will hypo or hypo or both. Low carb works for me best. Sounds like you are tackling and learning insulin quite well

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Welcome Josh! I've found this community so supportive and friendly and I am sure you will too.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

JJO

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for your welcome!

Just bumping along, trying to normalise my BM. Getting there!!

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi JJO, interesting story. Could you please explain how you induced yourself into keto? What did the meds tell you?
I'm on low carb (which means I still eat some carbs). Right now I'm using 2u fast insuline before dinner and 6u Lantus before sleeping, but I'd like to try Metformin since I need very few insulin doses. Is low carb dangerous?

Reactions: 2 people

JJO

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@P17BULL I think that poorer compliance with my previous LCHF diet (though i didn't know that was an actual thing at the time) coupled with a rapidly droping functional pancreas helped give me the ketoacidosis. I believe, but cannot prove, that the gliclazide increased the rate of detoration of my islet cells as it would have made them work harder to produce more insulin. It certainly wasn't intentional!

Because you are low carbing etc I also wanted to say that I don't want what happened to me to be confused with ketoGENESIS which I believe is a relatively good thing / symptom for those trying to manage on a pure LCHF (Low Carbohydrate High Fat) diet, as opposed to someone like me as described above which is a ketoACIDOSIS which can be life threatening! I believe the ketoacidosis is caused by high sugar levels for a period of time, whereas the ketogenesis comes from the metabolising of fats due to an absence of carbohydrates from the LCHF diet but I'm really no expert on this issue (just attempting to answer your question).

Lots of users including @Kristin251 and others have given me information on the benefits that they've had from the LCHF diet and I'm sure they'll be able to better answer your questions.

If your interested in finding out more information about LCHF have a look on the diet forum as I'm currently reading and learning alot there about it because my sister @CEM2 is posting on her experiences with LCHF and her T2 diabetes. There is a thing called carb flu (perhaps low carb flu?!). I'm certainly not educated enough to have any opinions or real facts on the matter of LCHF diet.

Thanks

Josh

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
So you had very high sugar levels? Where you constantly measuring your Glucose? Thanks for your answers. I'm actually on LC not caring about fats, but actually things I'm eating are relatively high on fats. Looking on the past day I'm around 100/120 grams carbs/day and 100/150 grams fat. I use the myfinesspal app to count the intake values because of its large database. I find it the best way to know what I'm eating, and has a useful barcode scanner too.
As for insuline/glucose I'm using mysugr, as you suggested ;)

JJO

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah yes, I re-read my original post and it never states what my BS was before. I was 16+mmol/L with a high I think of around 22mmol/L when my ketones started rising. Very high!

I must say I'm only logging the carb content into MySugr simply because I want all my information in one place! I wish there was a better app that had weight graphs, HbA1c charts etc etc. I guess I can export from MySugr into excel and make them all... MySugr certainly was recommened to me and is much better than what I was using before for entering more data and managing insulin etc. Although, my previous software did overlay on the sugar graph Todays (bright white) with yesterdays (slightly pale) and the day befores (very pale) which was very good at spotting larger trends!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oh folks my wife Yvonne says "you're a marketers wet dream". I saw one of these "dead on arrival" deals on Amazon where a brand new product is returned, checked marketed again with a full warranty for as much as 30-59% off. Guess what.....yep, I bought a Nutribullet Pro....I can hear AndBreathe now.....sucker....:)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oh folks my wife Yvonne says "you're a marketers wet dream". I saw one of these "dead on arrival" deals on Amazon where a brand new product is returned, checked marketed again with a full warranty for as much as 30-59% off. Guess what.....yep, I bought a Nutribullet Pro....I can hear AndBreathe now.....sucker....:)

Sorry should have been a response in the Nutribullet thread. :(