Hypos in hot weather?

mllegarf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Does anyone else get more lows in hot weather? I don't think I'm eating or injecting any differently, but I've definitely had more hypos since this mini-heatwave started...

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always have to look out for lows during hot weather. I'm on the pump and always reduce my basals when on holiday in hot places.

LucyM88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep!! I love the summer but hate the effect on sugar levels. Feel like I have to constantly eat before I even move to avoid hypo on hot days.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hot weather always reduces my insulin need, even more noticeable now, after 37 years of diabetes - Mon i had to stay up part of night, as going hypo - even though base rate had been reduced. Now Tues am and up again - pump has had to be off for some hours due to insulin reductions. Used only 14.7 iu TDD monday (usual dose 18-21 approx)

JennyNash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe that explains my low levels tonight. I had my dinner tonight without any insulin (usually only take 1 unit of Novorapid) because my levels were low.. 2 hours later I was 11.6 so at 12 am I took 6units of levemir, my usual amount. Then checked at 1:30 and was 4.6.. Eaten toast and biscuits but I'm only at 4.8! Kind of don't know what else I can do now except eat more till I'm high enough to go to sleep

Jubblyjo1601

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone else get more lows in hot weather? I don't think I'm eating or injecting any differently, but I've definitely had more hypos since this mini-heatwave started...

I always have the same problem in hot weather and yesterday was quite a nightmare from morning until evening! It's easier to prepare if on holiday and you are expecting hot weather! Bit difficult in the UK :cool: