Hypnosis for wellbeing

B583

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
MARMITE!!
Hi everyone, struggling with weight loss & all that comes with it (esteem, will power, self control & motivation to continue with it) over the years I've tried several diets, programs & lifestyle changes (with some success). However I struggle to continue with it afterwards, putting it all back on & continuing in my ways I was beforehand. Although not being of a huge size (XL clothing/38" waist) I'd like to permanently amend this & wishing for your thoughts on the prospect of using hypnosis to dig out the strengths to use & permanently with in my life.

Living alone I have no one to learn from, admire for their self control, eating habits & will power, so I snack when bored & can't control temptation or urges for sweet/choc stuff.

I do attend a local gym at least once a week, using free weights & one to one staff trainers to give me encouragement & will power to progress with the training session. I also cycle & walk a lot around the area, at leisure not competitively or for much reason!!

Thanks for the responses & ideas that you can provide!
Brad

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm not sure if it would work @B583 but my late father always said 'Nothing ventured, nothing gained'.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

B583

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
MARMITE!!
Thanks for reply. Going to speak with her Fri.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck, and please report back! This is something I am interested in - actually, I have already tried some pre-recorded hypnosis sessions. It was around the time I started my LCHF programme about a year ago, and listening to the script daily for a month certainly didn't do any harm. I just realised it might be a good idea to revisit it, as I seem to be struggling with a plateau...

B583

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
MARMITE!!
Thanks for that @EdMac I'll see if there's time to discover this tomorrow (only having 30 mins) but shall keep updating my progress of this, as hoping for this to work to a point if not further!!
@Larissima

B583

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
MARMITE!!
Thanks for that @EdMac I'll see if there's time to discover this tomorrow (only having 30 mins) but shall keep updating my progress of this, as hoping for this to work to a point if not further!!
@Larissima

B583

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
MARMITE!!
Yeah just quick consultation with her. Nothing else will be done!

B583

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
MARMITE!!
@EdMac The consultation went well, she discussed briefly of other clients wishing to control their apetite/temptations with foods, as I am too. She also went through some of the workings she'll perform, being under a light hypnosis, discovering what's caused my reason for indulging in these foods/habits & advising of ways to change these for the long-term, being in behaviour & mind-set, working on motivating myself to get more active, not comfort eating for whatever reason I do it!!
@Larissima This isn't cheap, but very interested in trying it & having it for 3-4 weeks (1.5hrs a session) to begin with. I'll keep you both updated of progress. Thankshttp://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/members/larissima.160311/

B583

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
MARMITE!!
Well it was interesting :) I won't bore you with all the details, though it waasn't totally hypnosis, just relaxation/aromatherapy to begin with. Getting grounds to begin with, from information she asked for me to provide: meds, few day's food diary, dislikes of foods/drinks & then speaking to her before starting she asked for life events in stages 5-10, 11-15, 16-20yrs. going through steps whilst in relaxation she spoke of my disliked foods & drinks being horrid, exposed & inedible, describing the tastes & textures of these, as I see myself eating them!! Having 3 people I admire, look up to or love, as an example to a goal to achieve. After this we went through the life stages & describing how I felt, what happened & who I was with & where.

Afterwards I was advised to get away from breads & wheat products to assist my cravings & help with my BGs (having informed her of my diabetes too). So I'm to arrange another session for next week progress on with this, trying my hardest not to consume breads or whet products, for the first time!!! o_O I do feel a little better for it, having gone through life events/triggers for my cravings/habits to find ways of getting over them, also to assist with my control of BGs, willing to continue with it, having tried a lot of other stuff before, with success but only temporary.

Til next time guys, thanks for reading, any enqiries, please ask, though being first time & not knowing a lot of what it is she practices!!

Reactions: 3 people

B583

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
MARMITE!!
Unfortunately I've not been able to continue with this. Though having made me think hard of what I need to do for myself & to build power continuing with what I have, I'll try my best to compete & overcome challenges in life!!

EdMac

going through steps whilst in relaxation she spoke of my disliked foods & drinks being horrid, exposed & inedible, describing the tastes & textures of these, as I see myself eating them!!
Did she do this with the food groups that you are trying to stop eating?

B583

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
MARMITE!!
Did she do this with the food groups that you are trying to stop eating?
Not specifically, the foods to avoid were breads & products which contain wheat & cereals. I've been on diets like these before & just having trouble with controlling my BGs is hard work with my lifestyle!!

B583

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
MARMITE!!
So were these the ones that were made horrid or was that another group of foods?
These foods were of a group for me to avoid as well as those I enjoy (chocs, sweet pastries & some desserts to name a few!!)

EdMac

Unfortunately I've not been able to continue with this.
I don't think you're missing out on much to be honest. The approach she's taken sounds like installing what's known as a 'revulsion strategy'. This may be valid for perhaps an isolated craving but you're looking to overhaul your diet and switch out entire food groups. Ultimately to do this you need to be mindful of what you don't want but really also need to focus on what you do want.

I've been on diets like these before & just having trouble with controlling my BGs is hard work with my lifestyle!!
What is it about your lifestyle that makes it hard work?

B583

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
MARMITE!!
Habit, regular social events & friendship. Though having these in my life now I'm still stuck with the cravings & the control of BGs

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a Clinical Hypnotherapist, I'm personally not a fan of the aversion therapy techniques. During my training were were taught to focus on building positive feelings - ie, the benefit of how great you'll feel when you don't eat the cake etc. Not how bad you'll feel when you do. I will never use that kind of therapy - but we therapists all work differently.

I'm also interested in the comment about her telling you you'll be in a "light" hypnosis - My experience is that you can never tell until you get someone into a relaxed state just how deep they will go - perhaps that was said to negate any fears that you may have had about being in a "trance". You can do hypnosis without formal trance too which is perhaps what the therapist did with you. Sadly there is no one size fits all, so each patient will need a different approach/induction.

As EdMac says, you're probably not missing out on much in this case. Hypnotherapy can be a wonderful tool but it's not a guaranteed outcome, and can as you say be expensive.

Stick with the Forums here and you'll crack it :)

S