Love life

Rob1883

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone else having problems finding a partner due to being diabetic!?
No luck for me! Anyone willing haha?

Reactions: 2 people

Cat0409_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
LOL!

I found a new partner who puts up with all my medical issues. Of which there are many.

There will be some one out there for you!

LucyM88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are finding it difficult to find a partner 'willing to accept your medical issues' then the problem is with the person not with you!

I'm lucky, I have a boyfriend who is very accepting and always wants to know what my BG levels are, how I'm feeling, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are finding it difficult to find a partner 'willing to accept your medical issues' then the problem is with the person not with you!
Not always.

Sometimes you have to consider the possibility that it isn't the other person accepting your medical issues, but rather how you accept them yourself. It can sometimes be a self-esteem issue.

This is really easy advice to give but really tough to follow: if you make a big deal about having diabetes, other people will too. If you don't make a big deal about it, most people won't either.

To use an example: no one pays any attention to the overweight kids at the pool. However, the overweight kid who swims with his shirt on always gets noticed. Why? Because it's a telltale sign that he's insecure about himself.

I had plenty of friends in college who were overweight, balding, and not particularly good looking, yet when we went out to the bars/pubs they would always get girls to talk with them. Why? Because they were fun to be around. They didn't let those things bother them and for the most part they were out of their control.

My general advice when it comes to dating is to put this in the back of your mind and quit worrying about what others think about it.
The bottom line is that if you make a big deal about it, so will they. If you don't make a big deal about it, they won't either.

Reactions: 4 people

Rob1883

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not always.

Sometimes you have to consider the possibility that it isn't the other person accepting your medical issues, but rather how you accept them yourself. It can sometimes be a self-esteem issue.

This is really easy advice to give but really tough to follow: if you make a big deal about having diabetes, other people will too. If you don't make a big deal about it, most people won't either.

To use an example: no one pays any attention to the overweight kids at the pool. However, the overweight kid who swims with his shirt on always gets noticed. Why? Because it's a telltale sign that he's insecure about himself.

I had plenty of friends in college who were overweight, balding, and not particularly good looking, yet when we went out to the bars/pubs they would always get girls to talk with them. Why? Because they were fun to be around. They didn't let those things bother them and for the most part they were out of their control.

My general advice when it comes to dating is to put this in the back of your mind and quit worrying about what others think about it.
The bottom line is that if you make a big deal about it, so will they. If you don't make a big deal about it, they won't either.
You couldnt of said it better.
Thank you

Sent from my SM-G925F using DCUK Forum mobile app

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I met a lovely guy almost 2 years ago on a dating site. He's very supportive of me with my diabetes and is just perfect in every way. I'm sure you will find someone. Good luck

Reactions: 2 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As @TorqPenderloin said we shouldn't make a big deal about having diabetes but I do think that some people are afraid of being around illnesses/medical conditions. You just need to find someone who is not and I'm sure there are plenty out there

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I agree we shouldn't make a big deal out of type1, I am using type 1 diabetes, because I am and it involves injections, pump etc. As we age, I have found on dating sites that a high % of males, would rather have a person basically with no medical conditions., but not all are like that. If, the person is fine with the initial information and then they google it, it often doesn't put diabetes in the best light. So, why should they stuck with damaged goods (and nearer St Peter as well) when others are available. So, I have found, in the past, dating sites are a bit like a sweetie shop, men like to shop around , pick and choose, eye up the candy on the shelf and try that sweet, but too hard, that one, to strong, that one, too sour, or broken I have read some awful things on dating sites, but there are some good people out there (you just have to look real hard and hopefully a bit of luck will be on your side) too
Now, after a very rocky time on dating sites, I have met a very nice guy and when I told him I had diabetes and other medical conditions too, he said it didn't matter to him and it made no difference whats so ever and wants to find out all about it.
At 58 and looking after my teen for over a decade on my own, I hope this happiness will stay with me for a long time, but it is early days :)
Don't give up, be confident and be proud. If they run a mile, it's their loss, not yours.
I wish you all the very best and good luck :)

Reactions: 5 people

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
I feel like I got really lucky, in a sense. My mother in law and sister in law are both T1s. So a T1 diagnosis didn't shock my husband at all. It's nice to have a partner that already understands what acceptable BG levels are, and what to do in case of a low.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a history of health issues and I'm married to a man who knew all this before he met me (we met via the Internet). In the 13 years we have been together this health issues have increased, for both of us, and we have stuck it out.

Someone is out there for you, look in the corners too not just the centre of the room!

jonniey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I never had a girlfriend or sex my entire life will be 34 this year but iv gotta just accept that's how life is for me.