Update

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
Hi everyone, not been on 4 a while so thought i would give my update. In march had blood redone and hb1ac had risen from 47 to 50 i was gutted but doc assured me it wasnt much of a rise but decided 2 increase my metformin to 2am 1pm. I was also put on blood pressure tabs. 8 wks later started feelin a bit rotten, still low carbing and loosing weight but on sat Went 2 a bbq had plenty of good food & wine (normal 4 a sat!) But when home was sluring my words and felt shocking, tested blood was 4.1 very low 4 me & bp was 98/60 had 2 squares choc & some radpberries & felt a little better. Went 2 bed and was sick once during the night. Went 2 different doc tod. He has taken metformin back down to 1am 1pm. And re did bp still quite low maybe ill be coming off them soon. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Sent from my SM-G903F using DCUK Forum mobile app

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone, not been on 4 a while so thought i would give my update. In march had blood redone and hb1ac had risen from 47 to 50 i was gutted but doc assured me it wasnt much of a rise but decided 2 increase my metformin to 2am 1pm. I was also put on blood pressure tabs. 8 wks later started feelin a bit rotten, still low carbing and loosing weight but on sat Went 2 a bbq had plenty of good food & wine (normal 4 a sat!) But when home was sluring my words and felt shocking, tested blood was 4.1 very low 4 me & bp was 98/60 had 2 squares choc & some radpberries & felt a little better. Went 2 bed and was sick once during the night. Went 2 different doc tod. He has taken metformin back down to 1am 1pm. And re did bp still quite low maybe ill be coming off them soon. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Sent from my SM-G903F using DCUK Forum mobile app
It is not unusual for Low Carbers to report feeling like C**P after a carb splurge. However, a bgl of 4.1 shortly after,and slurring words does not sound like Metformin. More likely the alcohol causing it. Alcohol can react with Metformin to initially give a high sugar peak followed by a sustained low bgl. The BP meds may give side effects, so check the leaflet and see if there is any warning about alcohol. Your BP was bordeline low, so yes, the dose may need adjusting. Do you get dizzy standing up or getting out of the bath. That is normally a sign for BP being incorrectly low. Nose bleeds is the equivalent warning for high BP. Your symptoms may well be due to something you ate or drank rather than the medication.

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It is not unusual for Low Carbers to report feeling like C**P after a carb splurge. However, a bgl of 4.1 shortly after,and slurring words does not sound like Metformin. More likely the alcohol causing it. Alcohol can react with Metformin to initially give a high sugar peak followed by a sustained low bgl. The BP meds may give side effects, so check the leaflet and see if there is any warning about alcohol. Your BP was bordeline low, so yes, the dose may need adjusting. Do you get dizzy standing up or getting out of the bath. That is normally a sign for BP being incorrectly low. Nose bleeds is the equivalent warning for high BP. Your symptoms may well be due to something you ate or drank rather than the medication.
Thanks 4 reply, my bbq was all low carb not a bun in sight and my wine was drank with food as always thats why i was surprised at my reaction

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks 4 reply, my bbq was all low carb not a bun in sight and my wine was drank with food as always thats why i was surprised at my reaction
Ps no dizzy spells since taking bp tabs

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK, so not a carb binge, but lower than expected bgl. Still think alcohol may have reacted and caused a drop. But 4.1 is still in the 'normal' range so is not a health concern by itself. What meter are you using? did you change strips recently? As I said precious, your symptoms are not usually described for a metformin only regime. Nausea, bloating, wind can be ascriberd to it, but slurred speech would be unusual. Same with BP meds,unusual side effects for most of the ones I have been on.