Suddenly high.....

RPa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Evening everyone.

I am 7 weeks and 4 days pregnant. I'm very excited as it has taken a year and half for me to get pregnant. My sugars were in range up until yesterday morning. When I woke up it was 14.3 and after breakfast rose to 17.4. I always test an hour after eating. Yesterday my bloods didn't drop until 4pm. I've increased my basal today it's been between 10-12. So not as bad as yesterday. I prob need to increase my basal some more. Did this happen to anyone else? Does anyone have any useful tips? I'm feeling worried that I've caused damage over the last two days

Thanks.

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hiya my bloods were always changing. Just keep increasing your basal and prob your carb ratio. Are you pumping? I used to test twice a night too. Test test test is the best thing I found xx

RPa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Sarah.
Thanks for your reply. I'm on a pump and been on it for 4 years so I'm quit familiar with it. I have increased my basal and bolus ratio. I guess that's all I can do, alongside frequent testing. I'm just nervous about what effect these highs are having on the development.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@RPa Could it be a bad pump site? I had a few when pregnant and the pattern of highs was similar to what you've described. If your bloods were fine before, it's unlikely they're suddenly going to shoot up one morning, unless you're ill or something.

If it was me, I'd change my insulin reservoir and set/cannula and see how it goes. Maybe change to a new vial of insulin too, just to be safe.

Don't worry about the highs doing damage. Spotting them and dealing with them is the important thing. There's not a lady here who hasn't had highs in pregnancy.

And congratulations :)

RPa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you azure. Well the first thing I did was change my pump site, insulin reservoir and set/cannula but that made no difference. I thought it was strange how they just changed over night. I don't feel ill. I test frequently-and the past two days I think I've tested almost every hour and then corrected. It's just frustrating when you tried all the options to bring the levels down-and you don't get the response you're hoping for.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @RPa
just wanted to add my congrats !!
there are loads of great ladies on here that have their insight into the details of being pregnant.

just wishing you all the best !!!!

Bethgabs

Heyim8 weeks with my third i have had a few unexplained highs mostly in the night. I think the same as sarah test test test and then can correct when needed. I had the same at start of other pregnacies.
Big congrats x

RPa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you. Congratulations to you too.

Weekend readings weren't great. But the last 2 days have been better. Now I'm just dealing with vomiting and headaches

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app