Time out.

RYU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
having to take medication
About 3 months ago I decided enough was enough I was sick and tired of being careful of being told what to do of watching what I ate so I ignored my diabetes totally I stop taking the metaformin I put the test meter at the back of a cupboard and said sod it and got on with my life or lack thereof (I was and still am going through a major depressive period). Decided to take to test again today no ideas why but I haven't eaten today as I wasn't hungry and my result was 15.2 thats ridiculous it looks like I'm going to have to start watching what i eat and taking my metaformin again. If its not one thing its another :(

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @RYU

It's understandable how the required changes in diet and constantly medicating can get you down. We all feel it from time to time.

I am not stating categorically that the root cause of any depression you are feeling is high glucose levels but many people do discover that it affects them emotionally. This is of course dangerous because the diabetes feeds itself, you become more depressed, less likely to look after yourself and your glucose levels may increase further. (Sorry if I'm telling you stuff that you already know).

So it's kinda important to recognise this and try to get your glucose levels down if you possibly can.

Reactions: 5 people

kjc2011

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercising lol
You're not aline in this. At the beginning if the year I was exactly the same, fed up of it all, stopped taking medication and ate whatever I wanted. I felt rubbish, completely down and fed up of it all. I eventually went to see my doctor in March as I was feeling so poorly and slightly depressed. I gAve myself a shake, got back on my meds and began testing and working on lowering my bloods. Seeing my BG lower spured me on and feel better for it. Don't get me wrong I have a few slip ups along the way, but nobody is perfect. I hope you are seeing the positive in the changes you have made and feeling better in yourself. It is hard and a never ending battle but I have found so much help and support within those forum and I hope you are able to find it too.

Reactions: 8 people

PoppyPetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Same here. I decided to eat what I wanted and ignore everything. Started putting on even more weight ending up the heaviest I have ever been with absolutely no energy. It was a struggle to force myself to get to work most days. Also feeling really down and depressed. Finally feeling so rubbish I went back to Doctor who did the blood test and put me on metformin and told me to start caring for myself more. He looked so disappointed with me I really felt ashamed. Anyway gave myself a good talking to and have now started watching what I eat and low carbing. It's hard as my diet used to be based around bread, rice potatoes along with all the crisps, chocolate, cakes and pastries! Have done good this week though so I just need to keep with it. I can see from the meter just how carb intolerant I am !

Reactions: 4 people

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you on meds for your depression? If not, don't be embarrassed to talk to your doc about it and we are always here for you!

RYU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
having to take medication
Are you on meds for your depression? If not, don't be embarrassed to talk to your doc about it and we are always here for you!

Yep I was on citlopram, I'm now on 100mg Sertraline a day. It's not a huge amount but its holding the urge to take a very long walk off a very short cliff at bay for now at least.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @RYU

Sorry to hear about the depression and shutting up shop on the diet control.
I am another who faced something similar last year. Had my diabetes under control for over a year and then copped depression. Stopped medication and exercise. Went to the quack got a little medication and some counseling sessions for the depression and after about six months got on top of the depression but then had to deal with my type 2 being out of control and worse than before. After a couple of months back on metformin and exercising a little daily and better diet I lost a few kilos and got my BG's back to single digits. Since then found the Newcastle diet, this forum and LCHF and things have turned around incredibly since January.
I have had the black dog nipping at the heels a bit over the last month but have found that something as simple as posting my morning BFG and "What have you eaten today" really gets my focus back on what is good for me

You did so well between Sep and December and you must have felt great at those results so you know you can do it. Don't be afraid to see your Dr and maybe try a little medication to take the edge of the blues. The counseling was OK too!

Cheers