Injecting while at work.

Cerithecook

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I Could do with your advice and oppinions please. Im a t1 diabetic and work full time. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem, I chose only once to inject myself in the staff room with my hubby there and one other member of staff. Later on me and my hubby was questioned and told not to inject myself in the staff area as someone had complained. I now feel that i have to hide while injecting. I have to go to the changing room. Has anyone else has this problem. And if so what is your answer to staff and bosses please? Thanks x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi I Could do with your advice and oppinions please. Im a t1 diabetic and work full time. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem, I chose only once to inject myself in the staff room with my hubby there and one other member of staff. Later on me and my hubby was questioned and told not to inject myself in the staff area as someone had complained. I now feel that i have to hide while injecting. I have to go to the changing room. Has anyone else has this problem. And if so what is your answer to staff and bosses please? Thanks x

Hello there, so sorry to hear that and this problem has come up so many times on the forum, It's discrimination. I have mentioned this before in the past, would this person complain if a person in a wheelchair was injecting, or having eye drops, using an inhaler for asthma, probably not. Also, the the pens are so discreet and not medical looking at all, with a tiny needle too, so not offensive, unlike many people out there !
Injecting insulin keeps us alive.
Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 6 people

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning @Cerithecook , I hope that you are just experiencing the result of some blissful ignorance from you colleagues & this can be resolved with a bit more information for them:

1) I'm sure that any sensible person who knows what type 1 diabetes is and the consequences of not doing those pesky injections would have no problem with being in the same room while someone does an injection so maybe a bit more information on what diabetes is and why you have to do the injections would ease any discomfort your colleagues have? Maybe (following discussion with a sensible manager - see below) you could put up an information poster in the staff room or something?

2) has the instruction not to inject in the staff room come from a boss / manager? whoever it has come from, it is someone who is unaware of your employer's duty under the equality act not to discriminate against disabled people. As a type 1 diabetic you are disabled for the purpose of the equality act so your employer has to make reasonable adjustments to accommodate you - letting you inject in the staff room could not be more reasonable (& isn't even really an adjustment, it's just letting you get on with it). So, if I were you I would be trying to speak to someone slightly more senior than whoever the instruction has come from to let them know this rule that you aren't allowed to inject in the staff room is discrimination against a disabled employee - hopefully a sensible manager who actually engages their brain and thinks about it will agree and the rule will disappear.

Here is some further information from diabetes uk on your rights at work - https://www.diabetes.org.uk/upload/How we help/Avocacy/Advocacy pack_EmploymentV3-Jan2016.pdf

I would really hope that a sensible chat with a sensible manager should resolve this - good luck.

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry, this is not a good situation to be in but some good advice above, you will have to tackle this head on to save this from becoming a bigger issue, you have rights and insulin is keeping you alive so good luck and let us know how you get on.

Reactions: 4 people

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The OP forgot to mention she injected in her bottom and had to either lift up her skirt or drop her trousers - Not usual procedure in a staff room, so fully understand the complaint and edict not to inject in the staff room....................:wideyed:LOL

I'm sure it wasn't your hubby complaining so theres only one other suspect, best have a quiet word with them, if they're still dead against it say you'll be even more discreet or warn them next time so they can look away or leave the room, your insulin injection is more important than their *needle phobia/sensitivity/stupidity

hope it gets sorted nothing like a storm in a teacup!

* delete where applicable

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello
In my view, the correct way to handle such people or situations depends on the type of person you are and what behavior/reaction of yours makes you feel more comfortable.

Please let me explain what I mean. There are people with diabetes (some of them in this forum) who are very open regarding our condition. They are also very bold and can stand up for what is happening to them and how they handle our condition. They are not afraid to explain themselves in public and even pick up fights to support our diabetes.

I like them, I really do and I admire them for having the patience and the stamina and the strength to be alert and ready to defend themselves at all times.

And, there are people like myself… I can feel hurt by others as my diabetes is still a raw spot for me. I have heard so many clumsy and unpleasant (borderline rude) comments regarding my condition and… I do not argue or defend myself. Instead, I cry silently at the office’s restroom… in the car when driving home… in my bathroom while taking off my make up… in the shower… before I go to sleep.

So, for me, it is easier to keep my diabetes silent and private… just like I keep everything else in my life silent and private.
I cry silently. I suffer silently. I worry silently. I struggle silently.
And, I inject silently.

When in the office I either inject in the ladies room or I do a free carbs meal to avoid the injection.

I know that injecting in the restroom is unhygienic but, I feel that if anyone complains that injecting in public is unpleasant/uncomfortable to watch then, I would perceive this as a direct insult about myself. As if my diabetes has made me an unpleasant person that brings discomfort to others.

My aim in life is to simplify, as much as I can; Simplify my diabetes, simplify my relations with others, simplify the way I live each day so that I can end each day with comfort in my soul. So, I can’t pick up a fight… In between all the things in my life that I have to be brave for, I can’t be brave for this too… having to explain myself and my condition to any idiot who comes along…

Doing things silently and privately is an easier way for me to cope with my own reality. It helps me keep my sanity. It doesn’t make me feel embarrassed (for something that we should not be embarrassed in the first place) and it doesn’t give people food for gossip (because people LOVE to gossip).

Therefore, I think, the only wrong way to handle such a situation is the way that makes you feel uncomfortable with yourself.
Regards
Josephine.

frenchlady

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello
In my view, the correct way to handle such people or situations depends on the type of person you are and what behavior/reaction of yours makes you feel more comfortable.

Please let me explain what I mean. There are people with diabetes (some of them in this forum) who are very open regarding our condition. They are also very bold and can stand up for what is happening to them and how they handle our condition. They are not afraid to explain themselves in public and even pick up fights to support our diabetes.

I like them, I really do and I admire them for having the patience and the stamina and the strength to be alert and ready to defend themselves at all times.

And, there are people like myself… I can feel hurt by others as my diabetes is still a raw spot for me. I have heard so many clumsy and unpleasant (borderline rude) comments regarding my condition and… I do not argue or defend myself. Instead, I cry silently at the office’s restroom… in the car when driving home… in my bathroom while taking off my make up… in the shower… before I go to sleep.

So, for me, it is easier to keep my diabetes silent and private… just like I keep everything else in my life silent and private.
I cry silently. I suffer silently. I worry silently. I struggle silently.
And, I inject silently.

When in the office I either inject in the ladies room or I do a free carbs meal to avoid the injection.

I know that injecting in the restroom is unhygienic but, I feel that if anyone complains that injecting in public is unpleasant/uncomfortable to watch then, I would perceive this as a direct insult about myself. As if my diabetes has made me an unpleasant person that brings discomfort to others.

My aim in life is to simplify, as much as I can; Simplify my diabetes, simplify my relations with others, simplify the way I live each day so that I can end each day with comfort in my soul. So, I can’t pick up a fight… In between all the things in my life that I have to be brave for, I can’t be brave for this too… having to explain myself and my condition to any idiot who comes along…

Doing things silently and privately is an easier way for me to cope with my own reality. It helps me keep my sanity. It doesn’t make me feel embarrassed (for something that we should not be embarrassed in the first place) and it doesn’t give people food for gossip (because people LOVE to gossip).

Therefore, I think, the only wrong way to handle such a situation is the way that makes you feel uncomfortable with yourself.
Regards
Josephine.
Hi Josephine,
Why? Why do you remain silent? You are not doing anything wrong!! You do not to have to hide away. You only have to tell work colleagues once. If they don't like it, tell them not to look!!!!!! I am sure that if you explained then they would understand. Plus, it is best to let someone know just in case you have a hypo. You are brave but you need support too. I am 67, I have been diabetic for 40 years and never once has anyone, ever, said or been unpleasant to me in regards to my injecting. I inject at the dinner table, even when in a restaurant. Sod 'em. No one has ever complained. Although, I have one friend who has a needle phobia and I tell her to look the other way!!! She has been my friend for a long time and just laughs. Why would people be so interested in what you are doing anyway? Live your own life as you see fit. You don't have to stand on the table and inject in your bottom!! Love Heather x

C-Mack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have felt both ways, the wanting to hide and the, bite me, I don't want to do this, I have to do this, attitude.

If you don't want to "fight the battle" then have you talked to your boss/manager to see if there is another room (office, storage room, etc) that you could use for your injections instead of a bathroom/change room?

That being said I would agree with trying to educate them but only if you are up to it.

At first I was shy and nervous about injecting around other people but that was more because I was nervous about the needle, not about their reaction. Now I have talked to most of my co-workers and friends and for the most part they don't care. There are some that are uncomfortable with it and when we go to lunches or dinners they make a point of sitting on the other side of me so they don't have to see it. Most have been really understanding.

Now when it comes to client lunches, there are a few that I am close to and they are aware of my diabetes. For new clients or business development lunches, I do excuse myself and inject elsewhere or have a zero carb meal if I can.

Baby steps and do what is best for your mind and body.

CherieG86

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I personally inject wherever i want, in a discreet way of course. When at work i occasionally do this at my desk or go to the ladies. I have been offered medical rooms and even prayer rooms by previous employers! Approach a senior colleague who has HR access and advise them that as a diabetic you are entitled to work adjustments under the disability act. Ask them if they have an office that you can use if you feel like this is an acceptable compromise. You would do better to try and work with your employer. I am sorry that your colleague was such a sensitive individual .

gemcat1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi, I just read your post and wanted to sign up to reply to this (plus after having a look I hope will benefit me from speaking to fellow diabetics) I've had type 1 diabetes for 17 years. When I was 18 I had a colleague approach me in the staff room about my injecting - he stared whist i tested my blood and then done my insulin and then gave me a dirty look and said "must you do this in the staff room? It's not nice and not what people want to see when they are eating! Go to the bathroom and do it?! My response was "would you eat in the bathroom? NO! As its unhygienic so don't expect me to, because it's something you're uncomfortable with. You have eyes - look the other way!" I didn't shout but I stood my ground. He never mentioned or brought it up to me again.

I don't think you or any diabetic (or anyone one with any illness) should be made to feel that you need leave a room or feel uncomfortable to do something you need to live. Especially when it is something that is and can be done so discretely. As its gone through your boss, I would go back to your boss and stand your ground on it. Explain this is a MAJOR part of your life and you have never needed or felt the need to leave a room to do your inject before. You will make the effort to be more discreet but its the other person issue - not yours. You've never had to do this in a restaurant surrounded by strangers, why should you in your work place with colleagues?! Please do not continue to do what you've been doing due to someone else's hang up and I hope this hasn't made you shy regarding your diabetes. If you starting this now, what will it be next? Maybe some light education to your boss or colleague is what is needed! Let me know how you get on x

Reactions: 6 people

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I run my own company and am T1. Looking at this from the perspective of a company owner I would have to think about discrimination again a person with a medical condition. That said I would also have to look at the balance of the actions of the employee who injected.
If you expose yourself unnecessary that could be an issue. However, lifting your top to inject in you belly would not be and it would be the complainant I would talk to.
This is coming form me as a T1 and company director, if your employer doesn't know the ins and outs maybe their view is different, but it puts them in a risky place re tribunal.

Reactions: 7 people

gemcat1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Oh and also - YOU control your diabetes, your diabetes does not control you and certanly not someone else. X

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Robinredbreast,

Unfortunately people do complain if you inject and are in a wheelchair. I have the experience. People's demonstrations of ignorance are no different.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

shawncee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm in high school but I go through the same thing. It doesn't matter if I'm at home or at school. My mom tells me to go into another room, especially if people are over. I don't think we should have to hide the medical pens. They're discreet either way and shots are quick and easy to take.
Why should we have to hide injecting insulin while they're secreting it?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm in high school but I go through the same thing. It doesn't matter if I'm at home or at school. My mom tells me to go into another room, especially if people are over. I don't think we should have to hide the medical pens. They're discreet either way and shots are quick and easy to take.
Why should we have to hide injecting insulin while they're secreting it?
Hi shawncee,

The lack of understanding and, I believe, convenient selfishness on the part of some non debetics is ridiculous. We are only doing manually what they do biologically automatically. Diabetes shouldn't have to be hidden.

Reactions: 3 people

shawncee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi shawncee,

The lack of understanding and, I believe, convenient selfishness on the part of some non debetics is ridiculous. We are only doing manually what they do biologically automatically. Diabetes shouldn't have to be hidden.
I don't see why we need to be ashamed of or hide our diabetes. It isn't bothering anyone. And I hate when people comment "I'd rather die than take needles everyday" and don't realize those are literally our options.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I don't see why we need to be ashamed of or hide our diabetes. It isn't bothering anyone. And I hate when people comment "I'd rather die than take needles everyday" and don't realize those are literally our options.
Sadly, ignorance is often the problem. Coming from your mother though, it's rather unfortunate :(

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi Robinredbreast,

Unfortunately people do complain if you inject and are in a wheelchair. I have the experience. People's demonstrations of ignorance are no different.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

That's a sad fact of peoples mentally, if it really affects Joe public, the eyes they use to see it, complain and be offended, can also be used to look away, or walk away.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Consider that some people love to complain (about anything)...

My manager once told me a colleague had raised a complaint about me because I had a bad cough which "disturbed" him. I always covered my mouth when coughing and couldn't take a week off work for a cough (which admittedly was loud). My manager didn't take any action other than informing me (and didn't really take it seriously, but he was obliged to note the complaint as the colleague insisted it was a problem).

So far, no one's complained about injecting!

shawncee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sadly, ignorance is often the problem. Coming from your mother though, it's rather unfortunate :(
It's okay. She'll have to get over it eventually. It's sad that almost everyone knows a diabetic (even if they don't know it) or have a diabetic in their family and there still isn't that much awareness. In my country there isn't much for diabetics and the majority don't know about all the new tech. Coming out. My school nurse didn't even know about CGMs which is weird considering my school is full of unknown diabetics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app