Oral Infection - mouth ulcers

ashokshroff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am Type 2 diabetic for the past 2.5 yrs on metformin and glyclacide . This March my nurse suggested me to be only on metformin as I had a normal readings of 4.6 for HBAC1. There were
No problems with this change for the initial 1.5 months but lately I have been struggling with immense pain in my throat and every morning I spit out lot of Mucus. I have read through many post related to oral thrush. Is this some thing related to Oral Thrush. Should I be back on glyclacide . Please advise?. Do I need to contact GP for this situation, my BLood sugar level seems to be normal.

Ashok Shroff

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I would consult your doctor if it is Oral Thrush then you would need anti fungal treatment on prescription if it isn't then it needs investigation by your doctor so either way a visit to the doctor is in order.

Reactions: 4 people

RetroHelen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it is diagnosed as oral thrush, be careful of the type of medication you are put on. Nystan liquid drops for oral thrush have a lot of sugar in the solution. Why?!! Surely this is just feeding the yeast infection it's supposed to be killing! It is what my Mother has from the doctor and it does not help her at all. We are trying for fluconazole or another oral antifungal instead.

If it's not oral thrush and just mouth ulcers, then I used to get these and these can be caused by a virus that is with us constantly but only infects when we are under a stress, have a lower immune resistance and may be deficient. I used to get them, then read about zinc rich foods and perhaps take a chelated zinc (zinc+amino acid so human can absorb it) such as zinc gluconate supplement with a meal each day. It's the mineral that helps keep skin integrity and healing, so helps you get better from ulcers quicker.

Metformin itself can stop you absorbing certain nutrients from food, eg B12 and folate. Deficiencies of these may cause irritation on the skin. You might need these as supplements - ask your Doctor.