Returning Liver Function To Normal

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Angela Ripon programme this week showed her full body MRI scan. Showed her with around 6 litres of fat around her liver.. Not 2kg as could be expected.
She was told to have Inulin and / or tons of lentils....
After watching this I did go and buy Inulin. Start taking it today. Have got a break down of bloods to compare my next blood tests to so will be interesting. Had a scan a few years back of my organs and that told me then I. Had a slightly "diabetic" fatty liver... GP just blamed diabetes and said nothing I could do about it!!

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
"You have poor liver function - and that's almost certainly down to excessive alcohol consumption."
I got the same sort of "treatment" when I was first diagnosed Ed. Basically anything that the Doctor possibly could attribute to poor lifestyle choices, he did (and all without the slightest bit of knowledge about what my actual diet and alcohol consumption really were like). Unfortunately it's still all too common in the medical profession for a diagnosis of T2 diabetes to be effectively a diagnosis of fat/lazy/stupid/unable to make sensible dietary and lifestyle choices.:mad:

Yes, your poor liver function could well be down to fatty liver caused by the T2 diabetes. Because we T2's don't utilize sugars very well, it means that they're less likely to be used (by our muscles etc) for energy, and more likely to eventually get turned into fat by our livers. A LCHF diet could definitely improve the fatty liver condition over time, and hopefully that could also result in improved liver function.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well my liver ALT count was in the 150's about 10 years ago, but no-one told me :banghead: I didn't find out until a couple of years later and I wasn't T2 back then. I started to slowly change my diet but tbh was stumbling around in the dark a bit. Whilst I have lost some weight I am still seriously obese. My liver count has gradually been coming down since LCHF. It should be <33. My new results this week are the lowest for very many years....34! Yep well happy with that. :D For me, low carbing has helped my liver, with or without the weight loss.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
My ALT was 62 when I was diagnosed in 2014. A couple of weeks ago it was 20. The liver has a great capacity to heal itself if it's given the chance.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When my doctor diagnosed me as diabetic a few years ago that was just one thing in a list of issues to deal with. One of her comments at the time was "You have poor liver function - and that's almost certainly down to excessive alcohol consumption."

Because I didn't, and still don't, really drink very much at all - the odd glass of wine or a single bottle of beer once a week, I doubted it was alcohol related.

Through the 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet book I gather that for some people Type 2 Diabetes can relate to fatty liver. I'm wondering if other people have found when they lost weight their liver function returned to normal. Because the way my doctor presented it it was as if my liver was permanently damaged.

It could of course be that drinking in my late teens and twenties did do some irreparable damage so I am keen to know from other people.

If you have done the 8 week diet, there is a good chance you have de-fatted your liver.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have done the 8 week diet, there is a good chance you have de-fatted your liver.
I agree. Mine was partially healed, but continuing with LCHF completed the healing.

The liver isn't normally permanently damaged by NAFLD until the ALT levels indicate sclerosis, as NoCrbs4Me says the liver is great at healing itself .

EdMac

Ended up in A&E having various tests this evening, some of which were blood tests, interestingly liver function returned to normal. Haven't had blood sugars tested yet as they weren't screened. But hoping the liver function returning to normal is a sign the Newcastle Diet was worthwhile.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a liver function test in February 2015 and my level then were:-
Serum alkaline phosphatase level (XE2px) 93 iu/L (40-130)
Serum alanine aminotransferase level (XaLJx) - 26 iu/L (0.35)
Serum total bilirubin level (XaERu) - 7 umol/L (0.21)
Serum albumin level (XE2eA) - 38 /L (30-50)

Had another in August 2015 and the levels then were:-
Serum alkaline phosphatase level (XE2px) 79 iu/L
Serum alanine aminotransferase level (XaLJx) 23 iu/L
Serum total bilirubin level (XaERu) 7 umo/L
Serum albumin level (XE2eA) 40g/L

Does anybody know if these levels are good or bad?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Had a liver function test in February 2015 and my level then were:-
Serum alkaline phosphatase level (XE2px) 93 iu/L (40-130)
Serum alanine aminotransferase level (XaLJx) - 26 iu/L (0.35)
Serum total bilirubin level (XaERu) - 7 umol/L (0.21)
Serum albumin level (XE2eA) - 38 /L (30-50)

Had another in August 2015 and the levels then were:-
Serum alkaline phosphatase level (XE2px) 79 iu/L
Serum alanine aminotransferase level (XaLJx) 23 iu/L
Serum total bilirubin level (XaERu) 7 umo/L
Serum albumin level (XE2eA) 40g/L

Does anybody know if these levels are good or bad?

The alanine aminotransferase (ALT) is very good. Don't know about the rest.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Have you got the target ranges?

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The target ranges are in brackets after the first lot of figures.