How do i start carb counting to take enough insulin? so confused

bondj700

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes....
Been told i need to start carb counting to see how much insulin i need with each meal havnt a clue how to terrible at maths too

Sent from my SM-G361F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

I used the BDEC online course and found it pretty easy to follow. Have since done the Type1 SHINE educational course and didn't really learn much more. Just remember to take it slow and make any adjustments to insulin small and gradual and consult your Consultant/DSN/GP if in any doubt. Good luck

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
The easiest way to cab count is to buy carbs and cals either as a book or as an app on your phone, it shows portion sizes and carb content, then using the ratio your team has given just dial this up on your pen.

What are your insulin ratios ?

Honestly it does get easier and soon you will know by looking at food what insulin to take so try not to stress, we can help too :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Carb-counting is very easy and the Carbs & Cals book is often suggested reading. Many of those starting Bolus for the first time start on a ratio of 1 unit of insulin to each 10gm of carb; I started at that. The book or other websites can guide you on the carb content of typical food portions. My DN gave me a pretty leaflet with portion pictures for 10gm carbs. If you aren't sure what your ratio is then go a bit under on the insulin shots until your meter checks after 2 hours show whether it needs to be increased. Some find they change the ratio for each meal/time-of-day. I keep the same ratio for myself at around 1.05 units to 10gm carbs.