Lower carb bread

satkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I bought a couple of ebooks for low carb breads. They all look good but... Almond flour is really expensive where i am so i would like to use it a bit more sparingly. Also they call for white bean flour which is only slightly better then wheat flour.

So what im looking for is guidance on using whole wheat flour instead of white bean flour. I would like a yeast bread as i like the flavour of them a bit more then ones just using egg whites.

Like the title says, I'm looking for a lower carb bread. Someing in the 5 to 10 net carbs per slice. It seems i can handle about 20 carbs per meal with out raising my sugars to much (one or two mmols).

Thanks for all the great recipes. I'm not a baker but most dinner and lunch dishes are quick and easy.

Stephen

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I do a good bit of baking but have yet to find a way to get lower carb without using the pricey almond flour...

,Not sure where you live, but this bread is available in the UK. Not only is it good, but it comes in at 6g carbs per slice (11g carbs - 5g fibre):

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/prod...gclid=CLb1junWyswCFeop0wod1nsFFg&gclsrc=aw.ds

I know you wanted to make your own but I'm afraid I'm not able to help with that!

Good luck,
Grant

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

I do a good bit of baking but have yet to find a way to get lower carb without using the pricey almond flour...

,Not sure where you live, but this bread is available in the UK. Not only is it good, but it comes in at 6g carbs per slice (11g carbs - 5g fibre):

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/prod...gclid=CLb1junWyswCFeop0wod1nsFFg&gclsrc=aw.ds

I know you wanted to make your own but I'm afraid I'm not able to help with that!

Good luck,
Grant
Hi Grant
Sorry but thats 11g of carbs plus 5g of fibre so its 11g per slice at least thats how I read the label. Please let me know if I'm wrong..
Regards
Mark

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Grant
Sorry but thats 11g of carbs plus 5g of fibre so its 11g per slice at least thats how I read the label. Please let me know if I'm wrong..
Regards
Mark

Hi Mark,

Although everyone is different, I was advised that when eating carbohydrates always to deduct the fibre content from the total carbohydrate value. This is certainly the case when adjusting my insulin dose. The body cannot break down the fibre and therefore can't digest it. And as the fibre itself is a carbohydrate, you are not digesting the entirety of the carbohydrates listed on the side of the product.

After reading back my horrible explanation, I've found a better explained definition below:

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Enjoy-food/Carbohydrates-and-diabetes/

All the best,
Grant

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited by a moderator:

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When it comes to calculating how much insulin I need to take with my meals, I must deduct the fibre content from the actual carbohydrate content. If I don't do this, and take too much insulin as a result, I have a hypo. This is what I was advised to do by the DSN here in Scotland and it indeed is the case throughout the rest of the UK.

Certainly when it comes to administering rapid acting insulin anyhow.

Alas, everyone is different and maybe some other members can share their experience on the matter?

Cheers,
Grant

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Every advice seems different as well. In the US I was told to deduct 1/2 the fiber as soluble and insoluble act different. I am very low carb so I don't carb count. I count protein and the size of the meal more so not sure how the fiber acts. We all have our own methods to get bs right.

As far as breads, coconut flour is less expensive isn't it? I'm not sure there is any way to get a rising yeast bread and still be low carb. I have a recipe for flax bread that is tasty but it has eggs. It's more like a flatbread and can be seasoned with various herbs but not what you're looking for.

Sometimes in the nut isle they have fine ground almonds pecans etc and you can blend those with some almond flour 1\2&1/2 to keep expenses down.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Grant
Regards
Mark

No your'e absolutely correct! Our "total" carbs are equivalent to the USA's net carbs = total carbs minus (their spelling of) fiber. So in the UK carbs and fibre are listed and treated completely separately in our nutritional labelling, and it's definitely 11g carbs a slice. And for any type 2 diabetic eating an LCHF diet that's the figure that we should be working with, since it's these 11g of digestible carbs which are liable to be causing any rise in our glucose levels. Fibre's not included in the count as it's not processed this way, and doesn't have any such effect on our levels.

I'm somewhat puzzled about deducting the fibre again(!) from the actual carbohydrate content which already has it excluded, as this doesn't actually make a lot of sense to me. Though as a non-insulin user, obviously I can't comment on how insulin doses are calculated.

Robbity

satkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
In Canada it's the same as the UK by the sounds of it. My dietician says to deduct the fibre from the carbs.

But back to the bread (sorry this thread took a turn). I'm not against using almond flour along with soy and other LC flours. Problem I've heard is that most can't give that same bready texture. I got this bread http://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/catalog/bakers-deluxe-dream-bread-g-396.html?prod_id=5721 and it's good. Has a bit of a sour taste (something like sour dough) and the texture is okay but a bit chewy. Any way I thought since I can take a few carbs I might try making some that is below that 10 grams per slice.

satkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I did some more searching and came accross this web site:

https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/great-recipes.asp?food=low+carb+wheat+bread

one of the breads is the following:

Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup hot tap water
    1 cup cold water
    1 pkg rapid rise yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
    1 1/4 cups whole almond meal
    1 1/4 cups unprocessed wheat bran, toasted
    1 1/3 cups vital wheat gluten
    2/3 cup stoneground whole wheat flour
    salt to taste (3/4 tsp)
    olive oil for kneading
Number of Servings: 16

It has the follow nutritional info:
Nutrition Facts
Servings Per Recipe: 16
Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
  • Calories138.9
  • Total Fat6.6 g
  • Saturated Fat0.5 g
  • Polyunsaturated Fat0.1 g
  • Monounsaturated Fat1.2 g
  • Cholesterol0.0 mg
  • Sodium77.2 mg
  • Potassium28.8 mg
  • Total Carbohydrate8.5 g
  • Dietary Fiber3.5 g
  • Sugars0.3 g
  • Protein11.3 g
I think I'll give this try tomorrow and see what happens.

satkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Okay so I tried out this bread and wow is it chewy. Even toasted it was hard to swallow. So I guess I'm on to the next loaf. I'm thinking of trying Gibi's low carb bread next.

Digger-i-doo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @satkins. I think I read on another thread that you're in Canada. So am I. If you're in a metropolitan area, have you checked out some of your local bulk food stores? When I first started low-carb baking, I was buying most ingredients from the health food store and paying through the nose. I remember picking up a small bag of Bob's Red Mill almond meal for something like $16 or $17 and thinking that baking was going to have to be an occasional treat at these prices. Then I started checking out The Bulk Barn and found items for a little less (and only buying as much as I needed). And then I happened upon a small middle-eastern grocery store not far from where I live. They also do bulk, and they have the most finely ground almonds for the lowest price! I'm assuming this is due to their almonds coming from somewhere other than California.

So I'd encourage you to look around. There could be great finds just around the corner ...

Digger-i-doo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

satkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I wish i was in a metro area. I live in a small town int the middle of the prairies. Im abot 2.5 hours east of Edmonton. When i do get to the city i try and check out a few places but i only get there about once every couple of months. For now amazon is my friend. My local co-op still wants 16 bucks for bobs almond flour. No Frills has 200g for 2.99. Walmart wants 7.99 for 100g. I didnt get to make that loaf, from another thread i posted today, like i planned tonight but will see about tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
In Canada it's the same as the UK by the sounds of it. My dietician says to deduct the fibre from the carbs.

But back to the bread (sorry this thread took a turn). I'm not against using almond flour along with soy and other LC flours. Problem I've heard is that most can't give that same bready texture. I got this bread http://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/catalog/bakers-deluxe-dream-bread-g-396.html?prod_id=5721 and it's good. Has a bit of a sour taste (something like sour dough) and the texture is okay but a bit chewy. Any way I thought since I can take a few carbs I might try making some that is below that 10 grams per slice.

Hello hello Canadian! (Maybe you're in the GTA too?) so I have a problem with this line of breads recently. I buy the bagels all the time, I pretty much have one everyday. According to the package, it's 1g net carbs but even with 4 units of bolus insulin, 2 hours post one of these and I'm sitting at about 8 mmol. 2 weeks ago, it was barely affecting me withOut any insulin. I'm trying now to determine if it's a "bad" batch, or just RIP my pancreas.

On the other hand if you're looking for a snack, they (and whole foods) have parsnip chips made by a brand names Hardbite. They are delicious and have 4gr per 20 chips. These don't affect me at all. As long as I keep it to one serving!

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
I wish i was in a metro area. I live in a small town int the middle of the prairies. Im abot 2.5 hours east of Edmonton. When i do get to the city i try and check out a few places but i only get there about once every couple of months. For now amazon is my friend. My local co-op still wants 16 bucks for bobs almond flour. No Frills has 200g for 2.99. Walmart wants 7.99 for 100g. I didnt get to make that loaf, from another thread i posted today, like i planned tonight but will see about tomorrow.

Ah sorry, just saw that your location. Try Amazon for the almond flour. I think it's $28 or $29 for 1kg. I also buy coconut flour on Amazon, and am happy with the quality.

The bobs red mill is way overpriced everywhere and honestly, I don't find a difference in the taste of almond flours once you bake them.

If you're going to buy bread from the lo carb grocery store, buy a bunch of things at once to make use of how much you'll be paying for shipping. You can even buy the bread in bulk, it freezes very well. I've tried a lot of bars and things from there as I live not too far, so let me know if you have any questions.

satkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks @tpaz. I did get a bunch of items from them. I got the bread and the bagels. The bread isn't bad. Had a bit of a sour dough taste which I like. Only problem is how chewy it is. I haven't tried the bagels yet. Also picked up a box of Carbquik. Haven't tried it either but I'm thinking of using it to replace some of the whole wheat flour in a recipe I found for LC bread. Also for pancakes (tomorrow morning if I don't sleep in). I'll let you know if I have any questions.

BTW they shipped everything in one box and amazingly the breads didn't get squished. They did a good job of packing everything. Only other problem is since I'm in the middle of no where it took three days to get here and the freezer pack was melted when it got here. Not even sure why they bothered :) I stuffed the bread in the freezer as soon as I got the package.

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
Thanks @tpaz. I did get a bunch of items from them. I got the bread and the bagels. The bread isn't bad. Had a bit of a sour dough taste which I like. Only problem is how chewy it is. I haven't tried the bagels yet. Also picked up a box of Carbquik. Haven't tried it either but I'm thinking of using it to replace some of the whole wheat flour in a recipe I found for LC bread. Also for pancakes (tomorrow morning if I don't sleep in). I'll let you know if I have any questions.

BTW they shipped everything in one box and amazingly the breads didn't get squished. They did a good job of packing everything. Only other problem is since I'm in the middle of no where it took three days to get here and the freezer pack was melted when it got here. Not even sure why they bothered :) I stuffed the bread in the freezer as soon as I got the package.

That's great! Don't worry about refreshing. I've totally done that before. Had it in the fridge, then threw it in the freezer. It's not really bread, so I'm pretty sure it's ok, lol.

Will you let me know how the pancakes and your post meal Bg turn out? I find that sometimes companies totally miscount the carb amount.

satkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So i didnt have the cakes like i planned. I will see what i can do this week and let you know. Btw i found a bread on the organic freezer isle. It is ony 10g carbs per slice. It seems i can have 2 slices and only go up 1mmol. 20g per meal seems to be my limit. This is a Canadian made bread called Bobs Big Red Bread. Has 21 grians and seeds.

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
So i didnt have the cakes like i planned. I will see what i can do this week and let you know. Btw i found a bread on the organic freezer isle. It is ony 10g carbs per slice. It seems i can have 2 slices and only go up 1mmol. 20g per meal seems to be my limit. This is a Canadian made bread called Bobs Big Red Bread. Has 21 grians and seeds.

Have you seen the stonemill brand bread? It's usually with the other breads, sometimes in its own display. The chia one is 19g net carbs for 2 slices. It's pretty tasty too. I hate having to use frozen bread sometimes. I like having sandwiches with untoasted bread.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    309.9 KB · Views: 227