Please help - very awkward question

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just the thought of flax, chia etc makes me cringe. Have you ever read the book fiber menace? I haven't read it but searched the web site. I fully believe fiber is not my friend. Avocado and salad greens work but not other high fiber foods. I do fine with nuts and pumpkin seeds in very small amounts at a time. Fiber stops my digestion in its tracks. I believe it's myth that we need lots of fiber. I'm not at all sure why avocado works but it keeps things moving like nothing else and the bonus is it is great for my bs. Sweet potatoes worked on the system but not the bs. Too bad as I love them

Keep the plan that works and take things slow, one at a time. Good idea. After I start adding things and trying things I always end up ' back to the basics'. Do you keep a food diary ? I used to but now I just keep notes of things that work and don't work. Then I see things repeated one way or another and go back to the basics. So I. The end I have my basic foods that work most of the time and some foods I can eat small amounts of occasionally.

Hope you had a good walk!

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I too am very wary of flax, chia, and hemp seeds now. Every time I hear it described as a health food, I cringe.

Interestingly, so long as I'm eating a whole foods diet, and I cook all my vegetables, and strictly follow the SCD I am able to pop myself back into remission (and maintain remission) within a week following the prep required for a colonoscopy. Expensive, but at least that's happened the last two times.

I am only concerned about getting enough fiber to feed the good bacteria in my gut on a daily basis. I do okay with berries, nuts, and avocado, also with cooked, above ground vegetables with all meals, in part because I take magnesium citrate twice a day. While fiber does slow the absorption of carbs, from a blood glucose perspective, it doesn't matter because I only eat good carbs: above ground vegetables and berries. Michael Eades, M.D., an early advocate of the low carb diet, says he doesn't eat popcorn because it's damaging to part of the digestive track, but can't remember what part.

I worry about powdered onion and garlic because I worry about gluten. Spices are dicey for us.

Kristin, are you able to eat fresh, unprocessed garlic, cooked or uncooked? I'm curious because sometimes more is possible with unprocessed foods. Or is it a FODMOPS issue?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
https://chriskresser.com/got-digestive-problems-take-it-easy-on-the-veggies/

It's funny the veggies he says to eat I can't eat but the others I can but the point is we don't need stock piles.
I believe that the veggies fruits nuts avocado fiber are enough to feed our good bacteria. Since we aren't eating junk and processed foods, gluten dairy etc we are not feeding the bad either. I am also a firm believer that if a food causes digestive or other issues no matter how much nutrition is in it it not a health food for me. Avocado nuts and veggies have a lot of fiber and it seems that is the fiber a handle best.
We seem to eat relatively close to the same diet. I am above ground veggies avocado a few nuts at time and moderate amounts of protein. My fats are generally avocado nuts mayo and olive oil. Mayo and mustard are the only processed foods I eat. I eat small meals and small snacks. On the rare occasion I go out to eat I order a Caesar salad no croutons or cheese and bring my own dressing. Hardly pays to go out and the. Look at the menu to remind me of everything I can't eat haha. I love my home fresh foods better anyway.
I haven't tried fresh garlic in awhile because I have a great rich garlic olive oil. Much easier haha. Yes it's high FODMAPS but there are many who can't eat garlic.
It's funny because I can eat walnuts pecans and pumpkin seeds from any store but when I soak them for 12 hours and dehydrate them for 24 hours I have reactions. That is how they are supposed to be prepared for best nutrients and removing the phytates. I no longer do that. I also found some eggs are better than others even though all,organic. Same with coffees. Some I don't react to and some I do. Then throw in that it can take up to three days to react. Well after how many snacks and meals are in there how am I supposed to know ?

This is why I just balance the best I can. I spent too many years fearing every bite.

I'm glad you're feeling better. Every day is a new day right?
I do know more and more people are having lots of digestive issues and inflammatory issues. I think there is only so much we can prevent. I just turned 52 Sunday so I'm sure that and hormones don't help. Eating fresh wholesome foods is the best we can do.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really like Chris Kresser's work. He works with the founders of the SCDLifestyle.com website. I agree far more than I disagree with him. Here in the US, I'm able to buy mayo made with avocado oil and whole eggs. It's not as sweet but quite good. I only recently switched to a mustard that is labeled gluten free.

Due to our increased risk of colon cancer, I try to eat cabbage, broccoli, brussell sprouts, or cauliflower every day, mostly cooked. If there's one thing I learned from Steve and Jordan at SCDLifestyle, it's to steam or sauté vegetables thoroughly during an active flare, though I continued to eat lots of leafy greens once a day throughout my last flare. The rest of the time I eat a mix of cooked and some raw vegetables. If I'm on the run, and don't have time to eat, I'll grab a carrot and some nuts on my way out the door.

A former co-worker was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, so I went in search for a book for her. My hope is that it will help her as much as it's enlightening me about my health.

The book, Radical Remission, by a researcher and psychotherapist who specializes in integrative oncology, asks an interesting question: What are the factors that led to cancer patient's remission? Intrigued, I bought a copy of the book for me too.

I believe in the power of diet and thoughtfully chosen nutritional supplements so was curious as to what she learned. In her review of 1,000 cases, and more than 100 interviews, she identified 75 factors. Of those 75 factors, 9 were utilized by all "radical remission" patients she interviewed. She dedicates one chapter to each factor, and supplements them with lots of patient stories:

Radically Changing Your Diet
Taking Control of Your Health
Following Your Intuition
Using Herbs and Supplements
Releasing Suppressed Emotions
Increasing Positive Emotions
Embracing Social Support
Deepening Your Spiritual Connection
Having Strong Reasons for Living

What surprised me as well as her was that only 2 of the 9 factors were based on physical changes. I'm three-fifths through the book now, and am doing a lot of highlighting. One of the challenges of facilitating a diabetes group, is not allowing fear to overwhelm me, when, for example, I'm having a bad week, or members of our group are slow to get started, sometimes taking 6 months or longer to implement all the changes they need to make to get their blood glucose levels down.

What I'm learning from this book, is that overcoming fear through our thoughts and actions is critical to restoring health, and that that how we talk with ourselves and others as well as the quality of our supportive relationships play an important role. So if I've learned one thing, it's to support every member by what they're doing that's helping them rather than what I think they're doing wrong. I'm also learning that I need a lot of work in this area. I'm a recoverying perfectionist...[giggle]. :)

I really like the attitude and flexibility you've adapted about your diet.

A quote I read this morning reflects what you're describing:

"When we feel fear or stress, our hormones tell the cells in our bodies to either fight or flee. When we feel joy or love, our hormones tell our bodies to spend time repairing broken cells, digesting food, and healing infections. As we learned in chapter 5, these two modes are mutually exclusive--our bodies are either fighting/fleeing or healing, not both."

For those who have IBD or IBS, it's a long journey of trial and error to find the magic sequence of treatments and foods to heal our gut. I'm amazed by what you've accomplished. :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I really like Chris Kresser's work. He works with the founders of the SCDLifestyle.com website. I agree far more than I disagree with him. Here in the US, I'm able to buy mayo made with avocado oil and whole eggs. It's not as sweet but quite good. I only recently switched to a mustard that is labeled gluten free.

Due to our increased risk of colon cancer, I try to eat cabbage, broccoli, brussell sprouts, or cauliflower every day, mostly cooked. If there's one thing I learned from Steve and Jordan at SCDLifestyle, it's to steam or sauté vegetables thoroughly during an active flare, though I continued to eat lots of leafy greens once a day throughout my last flare. The rest of the time I eat a mix of cooked and some raw vegetables. If I'm on the run, and don't have time to eat, I'll grab a carrot and some nuts on my way out the door.

A former co-worker was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, so I went in search for a book for her. My hope is that it will help her as much as it's enlightening me about my health.

The book, Radical Remission, by a researcher and psychotherapist who specializes in integrative oncology, asks an interesting question: What are the factors that led to cancer patient's remission? Intrigued, I bought a copy of the book for me too.

I believe in the power of diet and thoughtfully chosen nutritional supplements so was curious as to what she learned. In her review of 1,000 cases, and more than 100 interviews, she identified 75 factors. Of those 75 factors, 9 were utilized by all "radical remission" patients she interviewed. She dedicates one chapter to each factor, and supplements them with lots of patient stories:

Radically Changing Your Diet
Taking Control of Your Health
Following Your Intuition
Using Herbs and Supplements
Releasing Suppressed Emotions
Increasing Positive Emotions
Embracing Social Support
Deepening Your Spiritual Connection
Having Strong Reasons for Living

What surprised me as well as her was that only 2 of the 9 factors were based on physical changes. I'm three-fifths through the book now, and am doing a lot of highlighting. One of the challenges of facilitating a diabetes group, is not allowing fear to overwhelm me, when, for example, I'm having a bad week, or members of our group are slow to get started, sometimes taking 6 months or longer to implement all the changes they need to make to get their blood glucose levels down.

What I'm learning from this book, is that overcoming fear through our thoughts and actions is critical to restoring health, and that that how we talk with ourselves and others as well as the quality of our supportive relationships play an important role. So if I've learned one thing, it's to support every member by what they're doing that's helping them rather than what I think they're doing wrong. I'm also learning that I need a lot of work in this area. I'm a recoverying perfectionist...[giggle]. :)

I really like the attitude and flexibility you've adapted about your diet.

A quote I read this morning reflects what you're describing:

"When we feel fear or stress, our hormones tell the cells in our bodies to either fight or flee. When we feel joy or love, our hormones tell our bodies to spend time repairing broken cells, digesting food, and healing infections. As we learned in chapter 5, these two modes are mutually exclusive--our bodies are either fighting/fleeing or healing, not both."

For those who have IBD or IBS, it's a long journey of trial and error to find the magic sequence of treatments and foods to heal our gut. I'm amazed by what you've accomplished. :)

I love your whole post. Your saying many things I believe in. BTW I am a recovering perfectionist too. Once I was diagnosed as T1 I made myself focus mostly on that and relaxed about other things along the way.
I do believe a positive attitude is key in health and fear is not positive. I also believe sugar feeds cancer so I don't miss it. The veggies you mentioned I would never dream of eating raw. Ouch. I eat salad greens celery radish scallion and onion raw. All others steamed roasted or something. I used to make huge pans of roasted veggies of all kinds and eat the cold or sauté to warm up but they would last 4 or 5 days.
I like Chris kresser too.
I understand your thought process with the people you walk with but that would drive me crazy. I'm an all in or all out person. Jump right in. I have no patience for the slow approach especially when health is a stake. I am also one to spend hours researching my own health. Take control. I sometimes don't understand how you can't do that. Or how a diabetic doesn't know what a carb is. Boggles my mind. I do know we all have to start somewhere though.

Is the maul your talking about Primal mayo from mark Sisson? I heard its bitter. I use Just Mayo by Joy but it is canola oil but non GMO expeller pressed. Not perfect but better than lots. It's soy gluten egg and dairy free. Non GMO certified. Again not perfect but nothing is. Very tasty and creamy.

I'm glad you are on the road to recovery. Intestinal issues are horrible. If my stomach isn't happy it effects so many other things.

I love the quote too. So true

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The mayo you're using is much better than most. I think it may be the rosemary that makes the Primal Kitchens Mayonnaise taste different. When you use it with tuna though, you don't really notice. :)

I'm a recoverying controller type too. :)

What's exciting about our group for me is that we have people who haven't been doing well for a long, long time. And they're making progress, even if very slowly - (I'm much like you in pace and commitment). The biggest challenge is getting them from their expression of interest to attending their first and second meeting. If I can get them to two meetings, they'll continue with us.

I'm curious. Why do you think, when you properly prepare the nuts, by soaking and dehydrating them, you react to them? Are they raw nuts? Have you tried soaking them in filtered, or bottled water? Could it be mold that you can't see? This is so interesting to me. I'm stumped. But then we're all so individual. Who knows... The important thing is to not do it if it doesn't work for you, right? :)

Lisa

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Lisa
I think the avocado oil in the primal mayo can be bitter. I adore avocados but not the oil. Weird.

You're doing a great thing educating people but the bottom line is you can't help them if they don't want to help themselves. Some people want things to change but don't want to change things. Insanity. My daughter had joined weight watchers and was paying for it. I asked her wha the biggest thing she changed was and she said nothing really. I then asked what she expected would change. Long silence. She can take that lesson to many aspects in her life. Is your group for diabetics or IBS. I'm sorry, I got so wrapped up in our diets I forgot what our original focus was haha

I have no idea about the nuts. Stumps me too. I have used bottled, filtered, distilled and tap water. They are always raw nuts. Some organic some not. Same reactions. I still buy raw organic pumpkin seeds but I don't soak and dehydrate. I do roast in the oven at a low temp and I don't react. Raw almonds are like crack ( not that I would know, just an expression). Both my husband and I find we gorge on them and neither one of us even think they're that tasty. Certain almond butters but not others. Roasted usually seems better than raw except macadamias. They can be a gorge fest too. Raw are boring. I think I like the nuts for the salt aspect. The brand of nuts and butters and how they are prepared make a difference, just like eggs and coffee. Weird. I always but organic nut butters and usually nuts but not always. Depends on if I'm in a cheap mood haha.
With a lot of things I don't notice a reaction until the next day and maybe it's not a reaction. Maybe it's just a bad digestive day or day in general. I am most likely post menopausal and some days I could digest rocks and some days everything is bad. So I just move on now and push through it. I found the things that consistantly bother me and avoid those but there are always the ones in question and work some days and not others. No way to know until it's too late.

You are doing a great thing for others. Is it volunteere ? That would be something o would enjoy doing. Too much time on. Y hands means too much shopping. Lol
Do you mind if I ask which state you're in? I. In dreary Wisconsin. Spring will never get here. Rain rain go away

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Kristin, I'm 1,600 miles to the left of you in Washington state. I didn't know you were an American too. :)

I facilitated groups throughout the 90's. Doing so again more than 15 years later feels like coming home. My IBD is back in remission again, so my focus is on the diabetes. We meet weekly, and alternate between meeting for support, a walk, meeting for education, then one to two more walks each month. We have a type 1 in the group which has been really helpful for our members who have LADA or type 1.5 diabetes. Most of our members are type 2. It's a lot of work because diabetes is far more complex that I realized when I began this journey last year. I organized it through Meetup.com so our group is primarily made up of professionals, so they can and often do out talk and run circles around me. Using a timer insures that everyone gets to share during our monthly support meeting. :)

What I love so much about being part of a local diabetes group is that our members are always teaching us new things, so I do it as much for myself as I do it for them. And yes, it's on a volunteer basis. I think diabetes groups work best if they're type 1 or type 2 focused, because the conditions are so different. That said, our group works fine with both because our focus is primarily on using diet and physical activity to manage our diabetes. Some members do use medication or insulin of course, but we don't focus on it.

I wonder, do you have a local type 1 group? Or do you live in a more rural area of the state? I collect Christmas ornaments and décor, so I have to say, the group has been a wonderful distraction for me. My husband couldn't be happier. I have enough Christmas décor to decorate a different tree for the rest of my life...[giggle]. If I could have a three car garage to store my décor, my life would be complete. :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What a great thing you are doing. I'm sure it helps keep you on track and aware of what you're doing too.
Though T2 and T2 are different I have found I need to eat exactly the same way now as I did when I was a T1 to feel my best. They originally told me when I started insulin to eat 20 carbs per meal. Well I was all over the place. Hypo hyper and never knowing what I was going to get. I ate the same thing for carbs. 2 oz sweet potato and an ounce of black beans. Then my protein and fat. I was put on a set dose of insulin. I had no control. As I reduced carbs I reduced insulin but not without a lot of scary hypos. Now I am at a very small dose and rarely go under 70 or over 100. Much better than starting at 90 dropping to 40 and popping up to 150 all in an hours time. Those hypos always scared me. Every night I told my husband if he woke up to make sure I'm alive. I don't fear that so much anymore. I still don't understand how people can take insulin, eat carbs and stay steady. Pump users I think have a better chance. I'm not really interested in carbs any more so it doesn't matter. I lacked in the pounds when I ate them. So I am still under 20 a day all in green veg. I have done this for 20+ years.
I'm happy your IBD is in remission. That must be horrible and scary wondering if it will come back.
I love decorating for Christmas. I love interior designing.
I'm not sure about any diabetic communities around here. I have never looked into it. I guess it's the same with nutrition to me. All my clients with digestive issues or diabetes would rather just eat their food and not change anything so I rarely waste my breath anymore.. Everyone want things to change but doesn't want to change anything. Their choice. I chose to feel better

Just a side note on the mayo if you want to try the Just Mayo is all health food stores around here carry it WF, sprouts, our coop etc but Walmart and target carry it too and much less expensive there. If you are eating the Primal mayo you might want to try Just mayo. It's very creamy

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Kristin, Dr. Bernstein, who introduced me to low carb eating through his book, is my hero. I find it interesting that as different as type 1's and type 2's are, we both use the same diet and exercise, and it works.

I also don't understand people who dismiss me when I share what I've learned helps. I, like you, try to be respectful. Relationships are a dance. I make one step, then I wait for them to take a step. If they don't, I stop dancing and move on.

I so wish I'd known about the Bernstein's low carb diet years ago. I keep thinking had I known, had I told my friend who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 7, she'd still be alive today. She was a teacher and an artist, the hub for my circle of friends. It was a hypo that took her from us five years ago.

Your experience with the low carb diet is so encouraging and hopeful. Going to save it. Will write more about what I'm learning from the Radical Remission book later tonight.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dr Atkins was my 1st hero. That is when I started low carbing 20+ years ago and stayed with the induction phase the whole time. I just felt best. I don't think I make much amylase enzyme as I never could digest carbs. Then I found the Rosedale diet which helped me a lot too. He is not for diabetics only but he taught me about excess proton and how it can raise bs. Around the same time I read Bernstein but skipped over the T1 part because I wasn't yet. After I became a 1 I reread it and between all of them I was able to figure out great control. I do find it odd that I eat the same way now. It is the only way to keep everything together for me but I am also OCD about my bs and I like it to be in the 4's and MOST of the time it is. One big thing that is different is exercise always raises me and before it was my go- to to bring me down. Those days are over and it's too bad because I loved exercising but now it would be an insulin game of highs and lows that I'm not ready to play. I just stay active

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend. Very sad

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, sad. But she lived two or three lifetimes in one so it averaged out. ;)

Ron Rosedale really spoke to me too. I got a lot out of his book. It's good to see him presenting again. Here he explains why it's important to watch protein intake...

Have you seen it? The last part is an eye opener. I didn't know about mTOR.

Lisa

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No I have not seen the video but I will be sure to watch it.
There has been some discussion in other threads about the mTOR pathway when I talk about limiting protein. Rosedale has lots of followers now that are changing their stance on protein intake such as mark Sisson mercola Nora gaudette ( spelling?) of primal body primal mind etc. another great book

I emailed Rosedale years ago and he actually replied telling me any more than 15 g at one meal would turn to glucose and he is so right. I don't eat more than 2 oz pet meal. That turned out to be key to bs control for me.

Thanks for the link. I'll watch it soon.

If you don't have primal body primal mind I highly recommend it. It's not for diabetics specifically but disease prevention. She discusses the mTOR pathway and recommends no more than 4-6 oz for most adults. She's low carb and higher fat. Lots of good info. She pulls a lot of the health gurus into her writing

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh wow, Nora's book has been out for a while yet she also discusses the mTOR pathway. Have the book - (I order books as learn about them) - but haven't read it yet. I needed some information in print on this for my diabetes group. Can now check this one of the list. Thank you. :)

I include meat with lunch and breakfast. I reduced the serving amount after I watched Rosedale's presentation, but need to reduce it more. Perhaps doing so will reduce my blood glucose further.

What's so interesting about the Radical Remission book is how cancer patients monitor changes in their body, in addition to their imaging and lab work, to adjust their diet, supplement, physical activities and other treatments strategies as they go forward. Tumor growing? They stop doing what they're doing and go in a different direction. Tumor stable or shrinking? They continue doing what they're doing. It's most helpful when they're making only one change at a time.

This could be applied to diabetes too.

I'm starting a list of things I can monitor in addition to my fasting, post meal, and post exercise blood glucose levels. A big one is feet swelling during the warmer months. I'm thinking about taking pictures of my feet each day to see if I can reduce the swelling trying various strategies. I already know that 500 mg/day of vitamin B5 works, but I'd like to see if I can do it without supplementing too. Last year it was my right foot, this year it's my left foot. The swelling's not bad, but I don't want any swelling. :)

Lisa

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Nora's book is one of my favorites. It's a conglomeration of all of them and then some. I first heard about protein through Rosedale and it made a huge difference in my BS. I now use protein as a side dish rather than a main course and I do weigh my protein still. Too easy to over estimate and I do know if I go over 2 oz at time it effects my BS. It seems such a tiny amount but I do very well on it. My muscles haven't changed. I don't eat protein at BF because it raises me too much. All the hormones are waking up and are volatile. In the begin it was hard because who cooks 2 oz of chicken ? Lol. But now I cook in bulk and freeze portions in baggies. Lucky for me a like cold salmon. I always have chicken turkey salmon ( a few varieties) shrimp beef and lamb. A few other odds and ends as well. I will freeze ground beef and lamb raw in 2 oz portions. Then each day I take out whatever I feel like for lunch and dinner and defrost in cold water and do whatever I'm in the mood for. Most often it goes on a lettuce wrap or salad. Sometimes mayo or hot sauce or mayo/ mustard or just some fresh herbs. I don't generally season when I cook it because then I have an open palette for my mood.

Mushrooms are awesome for tumors and cancer. They scoop up the bad cells and carry them out.

What is your typical days menu? Did you give it to me and I forgot?

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely need to read Nora's book this summer. One of my goals this year is to build a variety of mushrooms into my diet.

Breakfast: I add an egg each morning to one of two combinations of vegetables sauted in grass-fed butter.

Most mornings it's yellow onion, red and green pepper, and mushrooms. I add fresh spinach at the end and allow it to steam, then add the whipped egg on top.

If I run out of peppers, I sauté mushrooms in butter. I add fresh spinach at the end and allow to steam, then add a whipped egg on top with 6 quartered grape or cherry tomatoes, and a 1 tablespoon of feta cheese, also organic and grass fed. I don't eat dairy normally. This is a treat for me.

On the side, I measure a third cup of frozen berries - (blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries) - and enjoy after I eat my egg breakfast.

Lunch: Almost always a salad of mixed, leafy spring mix, topped with half and avocado cubed and a handful of raw pecans. I top with sliced chicken breast, cooked ahead of time. For a long time I topped it with a vineagrette, 1 part vinegar, 2 parts extra virgin olive oil, but now I make 9 ounces a head of time and add lots of spices:

6 ounces extra virgin olive oil
2 ounces red wine vinegar
1 tsp. dried oregano
80 turns of himalyan pink salt (or 1 tsp minimum)
3/4 tsp. onion powder
3/4 tsp. garlic powder
60 turns of black pepper (or 1/2 tsp.)
1/2 tsp. dried parsley flakes
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground thyme

*tsp. is teaspoon

If I don't have any chicken, I might make a side of tuna salad with coarsely chopped bread and butter pickles and mayonnaise. I use Primal Kitchen mayonnaise made with whole eggs and avocado oil.

Dinner: Mostly meat with lots of fresh vegetables steamed and topped with butter or sauted with organic, virgin coconut oil.

For a treat, I'll sometime grab my Oxo wooden reamer and juice a lemon into a tall glass. After I spoon out the seeds. I add three parts water (or 7 parts if its hot and I'm thirsty) and 4 drops of Stevita liquid extracts with three (or more) ice cubes. I'm still working on a decent margarita. Hard to do without sugar syrup and liqueurs!

My husband and I both cook so our dinners vary quite a bit.

When desperate for a treat, I'll go to the food co-op and buy a grain-free treat.

What do you do for treats?

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the summer, I like salads topped with raw red cabbage, julienned carrots, and fresh blueberries. For that salad, I make simple vineagrette with oil and white wine vinegar, no spices.

Shaul Dror

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, can someone help, newly diagnosed Type 2, about 6 weeks ago.

I have been trying to cut carbs and have lost about 16 lbs. I take Atorvastatin, Ramipril (blood pressure) and Citalopram ( keeps me sane)

All was well to start with but quite quickly I developed loose stools ( sorry if your eating). Two days ago it was really bad, it kept me in all day.
My stomach is groaning, out loud and I am definitely more windy ( than usual).

I'm eating more Greek yogurt, nuts and berries than I use to. I have previously had IBS but have good control with no real issues. Pre diagnosis.

Any help would be great.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Yes, sad. But she lived two or three lifetimes in one so it averaged out. ;)

Ron Rosedale really spoke to me too. I got a lot out of his book. It's good to see him presenting again. Here he explains why it's important to watch protein intake...

Have you seen it? The last part is an eye opener. I didn't know about mTOR.

Lisa

Lisa Ron was the first person to introduce me to the importance of mTor. I then researched the Italian named researcher who discovered the mTor pathway. There are a few YouTube vids of him explaining in more detail. It's fascinating stuff

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app