What to do with empty test strip pots?

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know it's ridiculous, but the test strip pots for my meter are so well-made that I don't want to throw them away when they're empty! I know, I know, don't judge me - I hear how stupid that sounds! :rolleyes: Is there anyone else out there who feels the same?

I can't think of anything particularly clever to do with them, other than storing tiny things and thought I'd throw down the gauntlet to see if there's anyone with imagination out there.

Consider the gauntlet... dropped...go!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I tear the labels off mine and use them to dump my used strips. When full they go in the bin!

You could always take the lid off and put a few tiny flowers in for your kitchen window sill.

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I use one as a receptacle for dead hearing aid batteries. I also thought they might be useful for storing garden seeds, but I'm not sure if the drying agent built into them would be good for this, or bad.

Reactions: 2 people

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tear the labels off mine and use them to dump my used strips. When full they go in the bin!

You could always take the lid off and put a few tiny flowers in for your kitchen window sill.

That's an idea - I usually put the used strips in the bin, but that feels like it's more hygienic.

Tiny flowers? Yes!! Watch this space...

Reactions: 4 people

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use one as a receptacle for dead hearing aid batteries. I also thought they might be useful for storing garden seeds, but I'm not sure if the drying agent built into them would be good for this, or bad.

Oh, @Marvin, I misread your post - I thought you put dead herrings in them! Bit whiffy! :D:D:D

Yes, I'm not sure either - maybe we should do a test. With seeds, not herrings!

Pat_Ann

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I know it's ridiculous, but the test strip pots for my meter are so well-made that I don't want to throw them away when they're empty! I know, I know, don't judge me - I hear how stupid that sounds! :rolleyes: Is there anyone else out there who feels the same?

I can't think of anything particularly clever to do with them, other than storing tiny things and thought I'd throw down the gauntlet to see if there's anyone with imagination out there.

Consider the gauntlet... dropped...go!
I agree with you, there could be so many uses for them. So far, I have put bobby pins in one, toothpicks in another, and that is as far as my imagination can go.

cazza54

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Turnips and Tuna fish!
They make handy containers for beads, if you them.

eldergarth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
marmite peanut butter
I use mine as a sharps bin for when out and about for the used lancets and also use them for un-used lancets to keep them safe from little fingers ect

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that mine held 20ml of oil so I find them useful when I am mixing two stroke for my garden machinery.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I use mine as a sharps bin for when out and about for the used lancets and also use them for un-used lancets to keep them safe from little fingers ect

I do as well and I have a pot in my handbag when out and about ( I also use it for my granddaughter's used needles and lancets too)

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do the same as bluetit :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take a small pot of erythritol (sugar-like sweetener) out with me, in case of emergency coffee intake.

One in every bag, one in each coat pocket, one in the dog walking bag... :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some years back I saw t hesimilarly sized little black photographic film pots offered on Ebay once or twice as crafting containers. I've saved some of mine for this purpose: storing beads, embossing powder and flowersoft mixes, etc. And have used them as temporary waste containers for strips, and lancet drums, but i generally use any larger containers for these.

I like the idea of little seed pots, @tim2000s, and will try mine for starting off some herbs, and will ask my sister and SIL (both keen gardeners) as they might find some useful too.

Robbity

PS Suitably labelled and kept in a small box that would hold 7 or 14 of them, they could possibly be used as a weeks worth of pills for the day organisers??

Robbity

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Or how about a container for the urine sample if they forget to give you one at the surgery. :eek:n

OK I'm being silly now

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I use mine to put salt and pepper in, for when I travel. I sometimes grab a ready made salad for on the train and I like my food to taste good! Also for the food I buy to eat in my hotel room, same thing applies. My hubby does a similar thing to Brunneria, and puts his sweetener tablets in them.

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Huge congrats to all of you, but so far@Bluetit1802 is winning!

Keep 'em coming!

S

Shar67

I am going to try this, cover them in glitter or beads etc, sell them on eBay as tooth fairy, tooth holder for under pillow

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that mine held 20ml of oil so I find them useful when I am mixing two stroke for my garden machinery.

Well, that got my husband interested! He's just resurrected an ancient chainsaw and is boring the pants of me with it! That'll keep him quiet for a while - thank you @Squire Fulwood!

I am going to try this, cover them in glitter or beads etc, sell them on eBay as tooth fairy, tooth holder for under pillow

I'll keep my eye out for them (and then charge you royalties!) ;)

Thanks for all the ideas, chaps - I knew you wouldn't let me down.