1000 calories a day diet started! :-)

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi!
I have wanted to do the Newcastle Diet for almost a year now! After seeing my GP.. who referred me to the Diabetic consultant.. who referred me to the dietician.. I have FINALLY started!
I am doing my own version.. not far from the original...
3 shakes a day.. salad, veg and fruit.

It does state that i should eat just 2 portions of fruit veg or salad a day..
However, i am eating more veg and salad than that, as the main reason i am doing this diet, is to try and go cold turkey, from Chocolate and other sweet treats! Eating a bit more veg/salad/fruit is stopping me being too hungry.. which in turn is stopping me from wanting to eat the wrong things!

I am using Tesco and Morrisons own brand shakes. I love the flavours of all of them, and they have less sugar in them than slimfast.. and the price is waaayy better too! even my daughter likes them!

I have also been doing some longer dog walks, prior to starting this. I bought a Fitbit last week too! What a great way to motivate me to do more exercise! I have a few challenges with my friends, and so far, im winning almost all of them! I put in what ive eaten and how much ive had to drink each day, on the app.. i monitor my sleep.. I have my calories counted.. i have a weight goal too. The combination of all these things, i am hoping will keep me going til the end!

I have done this for 5 days, and weighed myself this morning.. just out of interest.. and i have lost 3.5lbs... which is a great motivator for me! As i started the diet on sunday, i will be weighing myself every sunday as from this weekend.

My plan is to do the diet for about 6 weeks, and my dietician is really supportive. I am seeing her again in 5 weeks time, and she will have a new plan to get me back onto food gradually. Low carb is the plan for me!

I will then have 7 weeks to get myself all ready for my holiday in the sun! :)
Kaz

Reactions: 8 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
All the very best kaz, don't forget to keep us updated. You might inspire a whole crowd of us to follow your example. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 people

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
weighed myself this morning.. 5lbs off in my first week! :) soooo chuffed with that! Ive been doing lots of walking with the dog, and ive been very strict with food too!
I have had sugar free jelly.. berries, salad and veg.. i have had a small amount of gravy with mint in it for my veg.
and ive put pickled beetroot, pickled cabbage and a teaspoon of pickle on my salad. thats it. nothing else apart from the 3 shakes a day :)
im definitely motivated to carry on! :)

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
weighed myself this morning.. 5lbs off in my first week! :) soooo chuffed with that! Ive been doing lots of walking with the dog, and ive been very strict with food too!
I have had sugar free jelly.. berries, salad and veg.. i have had a small amount of gravy with mint in it for my veg.
and ive put pickled beetroot, pickled cabbage and a teaspoon of pickle on my salad. thats it. nothing else apart from the 3 shakes a day :)
im definitely motivated to carry on! :)
Great results keep it up. Are you self testing? How are your BG Levels?

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great results keep it up. Are you self testing? How are your BG Levels?
yes im testing.. levels are great! ive even stayed on metformin.. just to see what happens.. but no lows as yet, even though im going on 2-4 mile walks after dinner every night. im on my feet all day at work too. i think i will start to come off the metformin, to see what happens though. i keep wondering wether its a good idea to stay on metformin or not.. it worries me a bit!
so, regular testing is a good thing for now.. :)

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
yes im testing.. levels are great! ive even stayed on metformin.. just to see what happens.. but no lows as yet, even though im going on 2-4 mile walks after dinner every night. im on my feet all day at work too. i think i will start to come off the metformin, to see what happens though. i keep wondering wether its a good idea to stay on metformin or not.. it worries me a bit!
so, regular testing is a good thing for now.. :)
You are doing so well. Re the meds I made that decision myself but not until I saw a drop in FBG's and then only as a trial in case they rose again. Keep up the great work

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are doing so well. Re the meds I made that decision myself but not until I saw a drop in FBG's and then only as a trial in case they rose again. Keep up the great work
i had a shake before bed, and when i got up, i was 6.4, and thats with 2 metformin SR on my meal earlier in the evening.
I only thought i would come off them, because someone said it may be harmful to me to stay on them..
Now im not sure what to do lol
Ive taken one tablet this evening, instead of the normal 2..

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@kazlincs
I wouldn't focus too much on the Metformin. The diet was sensational for me and as my BG's and weight dropped my decision re the Metformin was a personal one following a week or so of FBG's that were in the 4-5.5 range towards the end of the 3rd week.

For me it was a personal decision and not one that I would recommend to others as I am not a medical professional.

I think you seem to be taking a sensible approach and let the numbers guide you as you go along. Keep at it and don't worry too much about the Metformin (there are thousands and thousands of people on it right around the world)
Cheers

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@kazlincs
I wouldn't focus too much on the Metformin. The diet was sensational for me and as my BG's and weight dropped my decision re the Metformin was a personal one following a week or so of FBG's that were in the 4-5.5 range towards the end of the 3rd week.

For me it was a personal decision and not one that I would recommend to others as I am not a medical professional.

I think you seem to be taking a sensible approach and let the numbers guide you as you go along. Keep at it and don't worry too much about the Metformin (there are thousands and thousands of people on it right around the world)
Cheers

Thats great info thank you! I was just worried it would do me no good, by being on the metformin while being so low carb eon tc. even though there is still around 26g carbs per shake..
well done on what you have done though! :)

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thats great info thank you! I was just worried it would do me no good, by being on the metformin while being so low carb eon tc. even though there is still around 26g carbs per shake..
well done on what you have done though! :)
Thanks
No need to worry at all.

Jamesriley01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi!
I have wanted to do the Newcastle Diet for almost a year now! After seeing my GP.. who referred me to the Diabetic consultant.. who referred me to the dietician.. I have FINALLY started!
I am doing my own version.. not far from the original...
3 shakes a day.. salad, veg and fruit.

It does state that i should eat just 2 portions of fruit veg or salad a day..
However, i am eating more veg and salad than that, as the main reason i am doing this diet, is to try and go cold turkey, from Chocolate and other sweet treats! Eating a bit more veg/salad/fruit is stopping me being too hungry.. which in turn is stopping me from wanting to eat the wrong things!

I am using Tesco and Morrisons own brand shakes. I love the flavours of all of them, and they have less sugar in them than slimfast.. and the price is waaayy better too! even my daughter likes them!

I have also been doing some longer dog walks, prior to starting this. I bought a Fitbit last week too! What a great way to motivate me to do more exercise! I have a few challenges with my friends, and so far, im winning almost all of them! I put in what ive eaten and how much ive had to drink each day, on the app.. i monitor my sleep.. I have my calories counted.. i have a weight goal too. The combination of all these things, i am hoping will keep me going til the end!

I have done this for 5 days, and weighed myself this morning.. just out of interest.. and i have lost 3.5lbs... which is a great motivator for me! As i started the diet on sunday, i will be weighing myself every sunday as from this weekend.

My plan is to do the diet for about 6 weeks, and my dietician is really supportive. I am seeing her again in 5 weeks time, and she will have a new plan to get me back onto food gradually. Low carb is the plan for me!

I will then have 7 weeks to get myself all ready for my holiday in the sun! :)
Kaz
I have been on a 1,000 calorie diet since last October and lost three and a half stone. I was Eighteen Stone Eight and now Fifteen Stone Three. My aim is Fourstone by October.
Keep going its worth it.

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on a 1,000 calorie diet since last October and lost three and a half stone. I was Eighteen Stone Eight and now Fifteen Stone Three. My aim is Fourstone by October.
Keep going its worth it.
wow thats impressive!! Very very well done! I bet your feeling soo much better now already?
Have you had to come off any medications since starting it?

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been to see my dietician today, and shes happy with my progress.. Got the results of my HBa1c.. 30..!!! or 4.9 in the old way!
Lost 8lbs in 5 and half weeks.. Starting my new diet plan this weekend.. Small amounts of protein and carbs.. and im going to stick with shakes for my breakfast.. and probably most lunches too, as i find it sooo easy at work! I have found i like more veg than i thought! Not having chocolate ever again! I have done much better on the diet than i thought i would, if anything i missed fish and chicken more than anything else! haha!
if on a night out inc meal.. i will have a dessert... but it wont have anything with chocolate in it! Seeing as thats the one thing i have struggled with for years.. its a definate no-no for me! Anything else.. i can cope with, without wanting more of it.
Done lots of walking with my dog, and loving my Zumba class! :) All in all.. im happy ive done this diet!! :)

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've been to see my dietician today, and shes happy with my progress.. Got the results of my HBa1c.. 30..!!! or 4.9 in the old way!
Lost 8lbs in 5 and half weeks.. Starting my new diet plan this weekend.. Small amounts of protein and carbs.. and im going to stick with shakes for my breakfast.. and probably most lunches too, as i find it sooo easy at work! I have found i like more veg than i thought! Not having chocolate ever again! I have done much better on the diet than i thought i would, if anything i missed fish and chicken more than anything else! haha!
if on a night out inc meal.. i will have a dessert... but it wont have anything with chocolate in it! Seeing as thats the one thing i have struggled with for years.. its a definate no-no for me! Anything else.. i can cope with, without wanting more of it.
Done lots of walking with my dog, and loving my Zumba class! :) All in all.. im happy ive done this diet!! :)
Congrats, some amazing work you done right there!

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
right well.. ive been on one normal meal a day for a couple of weeks now.. no overloading on carbs or anything though..
i have to say.. i dont miss having 3 meals a day at all! I havent craved cakes, chocolate, cookies etc AT ALL!! in fact ive not even thought about it! My weight is still going down slightly too! Im at the lowest weight ive been since before i was pregnant.. and my daughter is now 18!! ive had sooo many people commenting on my weight loss, and its really made proud of myself for the first time in many years!
Im chuffed with how things have gone, and im happy on my 2 shakes a day, in fact it makes life sooo much easier! Very happy right now! :)

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
right well.. ive been on one normal meal a day for a couple of weeks now.. no overloading on carbs or anything though..
i have to say.. i dont miss having 3 meals a day at all! I havent craved cakes, chocolate, cookies etc AT ALL!! in fact ive not even thought about it! My weight is still going down slightly too! Im at the lowest weight ive been since before i was pregnant.. and my daughter is now 18!! ive had sooo many people commenting on my weight loss, and its really made proud of myself for the first time in many years!
Im chuffed with how things have gone, and im happy on my 2 shakes a day, in fact it makes life sooo much easier! Very happy right now! :)

Wow, this is really good news, happy to hear about the weightloss congratulations!

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thank you! lots of people are noticing the weightloss, which is a great feeling! i have loads more energy now, and ive had the confidence to finally be brave enough to go on the back of my friends motorbike!!! :)