Diabetes does kill

ellenvdk

Dear all,

I know that most on here know the seriousness of diabetes for the people in denial like my husband was, please believe me it does kill.

I lot of you know the problems i've had over last few months especially, but i want to share this with you.
Christmas eve Gerard wanted to go drinking so as always he did what we wanted. I went with my little boy to mums to wait for Santa. Gerard would follow the next day when he woke.

Christmas day, lunch time, friends phoned to see if Gerard was with me, i explained i thought he would be sleeping as he'd been drinking for 12 hours night before. By 3.30 i hadn't heard anything and i was worried. I phoned friends and asked them to break in. They found Gerard breathing but only just.

He was inject with glucogon but urinated and bit his tongue so he was rushed to hospital. By time i got there he had 6 doctors working on him and his sugar levels were now 8 but he hadn't woken. They moved him to Intensive Care and sedated him and did a CT scan but results looked good. They stopped his sedation at 8am boxing day but Gerard never woke up. It came apparent over the next few days that Gerard was brain damaged neurologically. On New Years even they removed the ventilator and waited for my husband to die. They were waiting for him to either choke on his fluids or starve his body of oxygen. Two and a half days later, at 11.55 on 2nd January, i lay on his bed, holding his hand, with my head on his chest. He took his last breath and passed away.

He left me, 29 (well i was 30 on monday) our son who is 4 and his two daughters 15 and 11. All because he couldn't listen and accept he was a diabetic.

Please, if anyone reading this is having problems, seek help. I tried my best for Gerard and myself and his family all know that. He didn't help him self, but you can if you want to. You don't think now of the hurt you cause to others when you pass away. Please get help before its too late.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hello Ellen,

My condolences to you and your family.

Nigel

C

catherinecherub

Hi Ellen,
(((((hugs))))) for you and your children. You must be devastated.

Take care and please continue to post here when you feel like it. Your experience may help others realize the seriousness of diabetes.

Catherine.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ellen,

My condolences. I really feel for you and the rest of the family, especially having read about everything you've been through.

You've been very brave to bring the subject up the way you have - I hope something positive can come out of this.

My thoughts are with you,

Sam.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I am so sorry for your loss, Ellen. My condolences to you and your family.You did your best for him and I hope that you and the family can come to terms with your loss.

Please feel free to post any time here, you are always welcome. We wish you and the children all the best for the future.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Ellen.
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I have seen this right from the start when I pointed out to you that I thought the post on here was Gerard's. Sadly that was the case. That will stick with me..... :(

We tried our best to help and make Gerard see sense. I hope that other people reading your post will realise the true seriousness of Diabetes and the ensuing tragedy and hurt for family and loved ones.

If you just need to rant or need some support from us, we will do what we can to help. I am so sorry that in this instance we were unable to turn his life around.

I hope you and your little boy and 2 daughters can get through this with support from your family and friends. I wish you all that anyone could and hope that in time life will get better.

My deepest condolences.

Ken

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
so so sorry to hear your story......our thoughts are with you xx :(

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
You and your family have my condolences, Ellen.

Rest in peace, Gerard.

arjster

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Sundays!
I'm ever so sorry to hear that - all the thoughts from everyone here are with you. I know it's hard to deal with, but just remember what you're feeling now will pass, too.

x

Fujifilm

Hello Ellen

Sorry to here that, You could not save him from himself, although its obvious to us here that you tried.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Ellen, i read your post with tears in my eyes, i'm so very sorry for your loss, my thoughts are with you, your little boy and Gerards 2 daughters, and family.
Take care,
Suzi x

ellenvdk

hi everyone. thank you all for your kind words.

It also means a lot to me that people who only know me from words, realise that i did everything for him. Shame some of my so called friends didn't see that and were blaming me over xmas!!.

thanks again, and i have asked all donations of flowers to be collected for diabetes research.

xx

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
People can be very thoughtless at times in the face of death.

I hope that they will come to see that it is not your fault. Gerard was a grown man who made his own choices and would not take your or our advice. You did everything you could to try and help him.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Ellen, my thoughts are exactly the same as Sue's.

As a sign of respect to you and to Gerard this topic has now been 'Stickied' so that it will be here permanently for all Diabetics to read and consider.

cugila (Ken)

jdesn

The thoughts of me and my family are with you at this awful time, thankyou for your bravery in posting your story.

bigdhughes

My sincere condolences to you and your children.

Hopefully this will help other diabetics who are going through diffulculties to change for the better.

Declan.

sunflower333

Dislikes
Being Diabetic
I'm so sorry for your loss, my prayers are with you :( your story made me cry, (i also had seen your earlier posts)

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
God bless you Ellen, I think you are remarkably brave to post your story on here. My thoughts are with you and your children at this difficult time.

Deborah x