Levothyroxine and Metformin

Masna

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Been advised to start on Metformin but everything I have read tells me that that drug interacts badly with Levothyroxine so am scared to agree..... Would be glad to hear members experiences please!

Reactions: 2 people

Emerlou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Masna, I'm on 500mcg Metformin and 150 levothyroxine a day, originally prescribed 1000mcg Metformin but gave me dreadful stomach cramps and the rest so dropped back down. I don't find that they interact badly in any other way but I'm sure there are others on here who can tell you much more and that understand the science far better than I do.

Was warned at the beginning that hypothyroidism would make it very difficult to lose excess weight/control blood sugar and so convinced myself there was nothing I could really do about it but have been doing v low carb high fat for last 11weeks, lost almost 2 1/2 stone so far and just been informed by GP that my blood results have shown 'spectacular' improvement. Hoping they may take me off Metformin when I go see them this week.

Has your GP discussed dietary control with you first ?

Masna

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for your replies and advice. I did a reply but when I tapped 'send' it said there was a post error and I'm not savvy enough to know what to do!
Will be talking to my nurse this week and will have to decide whether to start medication or not, I have lost weight and inches but HBA1C up to sixty three so she is very twitchy on my behalf.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Moderator: Merged the posts from the additional thread

Last edited by a moderator:

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Masna, I am tagging @catherinecherub & @Emerlou then they should see your reply. Hope they have sorted you out with lots of good advice. I will also tags @daisy1 who will be along with the info for new members