Struggle to get strips to take blood

Clarebear802

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I use a code free machine but most of the time the strips don't take up blood I end up trying about four times then giving up. Does anyone else have this problem?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
I have a codefree meter and find I have to place my finger facing upwards [rather than downwards on previous meters] under the edge of the strip for it to take the blood in.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The SD needs more blood than many other types of meter to be successful. Once you have the blob of blood use the test strip to shovel it up. You can see the blood go up the slot in the end of the strip. If it doesn't fill the slot up then you need a greater amount of blood for the next try.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I did just the same this morning didn't get enough blood out and had to discard two strips try rubbing your finger for a few seconds before pricking then squeeze some blood out not really recommended but sometimes it's the only way.

Clarebear802

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks guys it's so frustrating I can never just stab one finger it's at least three but most of the time I give up with sore fingers lol

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you trying different depth settings on your lancing device? Getting that right should help both with size of blood drops and sore fingers.

And another thing that sometimes helps is holding your arm downwards and shaking your hand a bit before you prick. Sort of centrifugal force... :p

Robbity