What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've made a start on
B: coffee and cream at 4.30am as up early then breakfast of 200g of gammon slices and another coffee. Both decaf.
L: stir fry veg no protein no carbs other than little in none root veg
S: to follow
D: to follow
Supper: lump of cheese or nuts

Note to ones self : don't forget eggs on shopping list this week like last. :(

Reactions: 6 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Any seasonings for my stir-fry which isn't salt overload, anyone?

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Any seasonings for my stir-fry which isn't salt overload, anyone?
A few suggestions are:
Chinese five spice (to marinate the meat)
toasted sesame seeds (heated in a dry frying pan) to sprinkle over at the end
a little sesame oil to stir through at the end

Reactions: 4 people

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hells and Rosbif.........I totally agree with you. Soon after any food I feel sleepy. ....
Just can't keep my eyes open.
So annoying. Happy hippy x
And the scary thing is that I've probably had it hundreds of times in the past without really paying attention. :-( With LCHF I don't get it, luckily.

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I must try LC HF

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app
Do!
It's certainly worth trying! For myself I've noted the contrast between how I feel after a LCHF meal (or simply a LC meal) and a HC meal (and certainly a high junk carb meal!!) I've noticed that (like everyone) I can tolerate certain carbs in certain quantities which has meant on occasion that I've been over-optimistic, thrown caution to the wind and indulged more than I should have done - but the consequences (whether it's the meter reading or the high, light-headed feeling - no meter reading required there - and also in my case the digestive issues) pull me back to LCHF.

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
ickihun.......... Sounds good so far........ I'm going to follow you lol x

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Lovely full English for brunch in the Cambridge sunny market square, minus the toast, but with extra mushrooms...should do me until dinner tonight around 7pm.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Early morning Skyr
Brunch: Fried eggs on Hi-Lo toast
L: first batch of ice-cream made - mixed berry. Was delicious straight out of the mixer :hungry: Will see how it fares in the freezer.
D: will be duck breast, cauliflower cheese, courgetti. Have got a yellow courgette which is much wider than normal green ones so hoping will spiralise more successfully.

Can't believe the weekend is over. Where did that go?!!:woot:

Reactions: 3 people
D

debrasue

B: Scrambled egg, Sukrin roll; chia pudding (made last night with Coyo yoghurt, coconut cream and 1 tbsp Monin sugar-free syrup. Nice, but needs a little fruit of some description to add some tartness. Cocoa works brilliantly, of course, but then I can't leave it alone and eat it by the bucketful! :oops:)
L: Nothing
D (will be): Pulled pork, mixed salad, small jacket potato; stewed rhubarb & cream
Carbs: 66g

UPDATE: BG before dinner 5.1, two hours later 7.1, (would ordinarily be in the mid-5s), three hours after dinner 5.8.
Not disastrous, but I think those spiky little spuds will have to stay off the menu for a while yet. Pity.....

Last edited:

sugar-rush123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Brekkie: oat granola with nuts and alpro yogurt, 1/2 banana
Lunch: turkey bacon, egg and small portion seasoned fries
Dinner: ham salad... Must say i shoved it in a lovely cob! Oops... Oh i did pull some of the bread out though lol
Snack cheese n crackers

Reactions: 5 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi Sunday 15/5/16
B 1 slice of wholemeal toast
S 1 pkt pork scratchings
L egg / roast beef salad / half a can of zero coke
D Chicken salad [ out for a meal ]

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday was:

B: 1 coffeencream, 1 latte, 1 egg, 1 rasher
L: very late... got very hungry! a handful of M&S crispy bacon, some M&S chicken breast goujony curry things, 2 squares 70%. It was touch and go whether I would eat the whole fridge, but I hung on (by my fingernails) til the Hunger passed.
D: M&S moussaka, minus the potato. Still far too carby, but didn't go too high, which was a relief. Coyo at 10pm.

Not a typical day!

D

debrasue

B: Scrambled eggs & Sukrin roll, chia pudding
L: Small amount of leftover pulled pork & salad leaves (it would have been a larger amount, but I ate lunch in the garden and a large, fat pigeon made a large, fat deposit a few feet away and put me off the rest of it! :yuck:)
D (will be): Chicken & mushrooms in a white wine & cream sauce, steamed brown rice*; black cherries
Carbs: 53.1g
* Testing
(I'm increasing my carbs slightly, as I'm beginning to suspect ultra-low carbs might be causing my pain levels to increase and making me feel generally less than perky.)
:meh:

UPDATE: BG before dinner 5.6, two hours after dinner (with 125g of steamed brown basmati rice) - 6.0.
Brown rice is back ON my menu, ladies and gentlemen - yayyy!!! :D

Last edited:

Hildaandhoward

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast. 2 rashers of bacon, a tomato and a fried egg + a fruit tea
Lunch. Slice of ham, an apple, celery with cream cheese
Dinner. Steak with broad beans and broccoli

Mickyb0703

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Today

I'm getting used to this eating and travelling
B- salmon and soft cheese
L- chicken salad some coleslaw
S- at airport cappuccino
D- chicken again, cauliflower cheese
Level have been in the 6's all day
Getting used to the metformin now second week taking 500 twice a day,not many tummy troubles, Thursday will increase to 500 three times a day

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffeencream
L: chickem, mushroom, caulirice
S: jerky and 70%
D: steak and chips. Yes, you read it here first. Chips. A small portion DOWSED in vinegar. It is an experiment. Oh, and green salad.

Wish me luck.

s.sollis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
B: cup of tea.
L: chicken Kiev, peas.
D: hallimi? And vegetable kebabs( red and yellow pepper, onion, corgette).
S: water, sugar free vimto( my favourite).

Yesterday I made a banana pancake. Just mash a small banana with two eggs. Dribble of oil in pan and fry. Now this is 15g carbs with small banana, but this was for both breakfast and lunch so didn't need anything till dinner. So for two meals 15g is reasonable. Higher carbs the bigger the banana, but you could split it in two for you hubby/wife. :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Scrambled eggs & Sukrin roll, chia pudding
L: Small amount of leftover pulled pork & salad leaves (it would have been a larger amount, but I ate lunch in the garden and a large, fat pigeon made a large, fat deposit a few feet away and put me off the rest of it! :yuck:)
D (will be): Chicken & mushrooms in a white wine & cream sauce, steamed brown rice*; black cherries
Carbs: 53.1g
* Testing
(I'm increasing my carbs slightly, as I'm beginning to suspect ultra-low carbs are causing my pain levels to increase and making me feel generally less than perky.)
:meh:

Debrasue - I haven't read of others suggesting increased pain related to low carbing, but perhaps I missed something. As an alternative, have you considered whether you may be having a food intolerance issue, leading to the pain?

Many moons ago, after a nasty virus, following which I had a period of acute polyarthritis. As I didn't screen positively for RH, I was prescribed painkillers at (in my view) savage levels.

In the end, I saw a herbalist who diagnosed a food intolerance. Once I pinpointed the culprit, by elimination, I improved significantly and quickly to become pain-free and flexible again. Still, very rarely, if I overload on the acidic stuff; like pickles, or tomatoes, or in the old days, citrus fruit, I can feel it first in my finger and ankle joints.

Sorry for derailing the thread somewhat. I'll give myself a good stern glare.