Metformin.

LittleG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,
I was wondering how long does it take before I will see results from taking Metfomin? I started on 500mg with breakfast for this first week then twice a day from next Monday.
I was diagnosed Type 2 5 weeks or so ago and had my first appointment with my diabetes nurse on Monday. I haven't had any sweet stuff at all since diagnosis ( although I only had the odd sweet treat, my problem is carbs) and have cut carbs, had no bread, little pasta, some rice, very small portions. I bought a BG meter and some tasty running shoes. I have been doing at the very least 30 minutes of cardio vascular exercise a day, had a couple of Saturdays off, lazy. I noticed a big spike after I had a couple of handfuls of crisps so know that is a danger area. My first blood test read as 17. something or 86 thingys. I averaged 14 over the last few weeks ( before meds) but never been below 11 on my meter.
Thanks in advance guys.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't like to be pessimistic but Metformin may not have as much effect as you are looking for. It is not a powerful drug. You may find that the greater effect comes from your diet and exercise. Still, keep taking the tablets since every little helps.

LittleG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am not looking for a miracle cure from Metformin, in fact I would prefer to do this drug free but my diagnosis reading was so high my DN advised me to take Metformin to begin with to help initially. I was pleased with my progress in the weeks before I was prescribed it. I just wondered how long it would be before I noticed a difference. If at all. It could be that the changes I have made myself could have progressed in a positive way without the Metformin.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not everyone has the same result but in my case I never noticed any effect from taking Metformin. I didn't mention that since I didn't want to discourage you but now you say you would prefer to be drug free ...... I have been told also that there are benefits "down the line" from taking it but that is too vague for me to persevere. They were finally stopped as being "ineffective".

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry For a pessimistic post here but will put my two cents in. I have only been on metformin since December so may not be the best person to speak. First it had to be changed onto the slow release version as I couldn't tolerate the normal version. Numbers wise I am unconvinced that metformin does anything at all, I find that cutting the carbs/ finding which carbs my body can tolerate and how much is a much better way of dealing with the high results.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@LittleG - Hello. :). Metformin takes time to build up in your system and you might begin to see a slight effect. But, it can take a couple of months to reach it's full effect - please be patient and allow it to work. Diet and Exercise will have more effect on lowering blood sugar.:)

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As others have already said - remove carbs - exit as much sugar as u can and begin some exercise. Even walking will help, also your numbers are in the unhealthy region you need to target below 10, as a starting point.

It's early days but you must get your BG down your numbers are still to high, it took me about 4 weeks to get below 10 regularly, I'm now rarely over 7 - Meatiform is going to help but it's not a cure.