Struggling with lows

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello ladies,

I'm 8 weeks pregnant and I'm struggling with hypos! I have had a busy weekend as I was away for a friends hen Party I coped ok, despite only 2 friends knowing about me being pregnant and one of the activities being cocktail making... Perfect activity for a pregnant diabetic anyway we managed to convince them that my diet Coke am had vodka in it and the water and ice was a Gin and slimline as that's what my friend told the waiter to say when he served my drinks! Bless him!

I was just wanting some advice on hypos... We did a lot of walking and I ran a -50% a lot of the time. But still my sugar dropped? I feel I'm eating all the time to keep my sugar up, but any less insulin at meal times and I'm not under the required level? The thing is I'm not hungry! And being over full is making me nauseous!! Help!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

kazC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You have my sympathy - never had so many hypos. Funny how a pancreas can be redundant for 32 years, then decide to start producing a bit of insulin..........!!

No helpful advice, I'm afraid, other than drop the basal. I'm 9 + 3, and still doing battle with the lows.

Hope the nausea eases soon xx

Finley02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes your body seems to be more resistant to insulin in the first trimester, I felt. I then found the start of my second trimester I wasn't resistant to my insulting so had to up my bolus and basal! although I've upped my dosage by one unit and keep dropping... It's so hard and you ell find the whole way through you will be upping and lowering your dosages! Very frustrating as I don't feel in control at the moment as my body is doing what she likes hehe xxxxx

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I feel that too! In not bolusing for snacks at the moment because I have to much insulin on board!
Last night was awful, 3 hypos in the space of an hour and a half despite having a -50% basal and drinking a whole bottle of lucazade and 40g of "free" carbs! Such a battle! I ended up suspending my insulin for half an hour just to get it up! Then I was at 13.9! I think I feel sick because I have to eat so much!!! Seeing the docs, dsn, midwife and getting a scan tomorrow so will mention it them! Spoke to dsn today and she said i handled it well!

Thank u both, I'll try reduce my basal a little and see if that helps! Sure I will sort this, then have a different issue to sort! lol

Hope things pick up for u ladies too!

Finley02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Oh bless you! It's so annoying u reduce or increase your insulin by one unit and it makes a massive difference!

I hate waking up in the night at 1.30 and having to drink half a bottle of a massive bottle of lucozade and snacks !

Ah wow scan tomorrow how exciting! It's so nice to see bubba isn't it! I got my next one on my growth scan at 28 weeks I'm 22 this week so only 6 weeks to go hehe! Hope it al goes well sweetie! Xx

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello,

Yes I had my scan today, measuring about 8weeks 1day even tho my my calcs I'm slightly more, but we'll see at 12 weeks! All went well, it was an internal scan but it was absolutely fine, she couldn't see it clear enough on the stomach scan!
Was so lovely to see baby's little heart beating! And to see that there's actually something in there! Hehe!

Spoke to consultant who has reduced my basal all throughout the day and insulin:carb ratio at teatime. she said bg levels can dip between 8 and 12 weeks due to placenta taking over. so all is good! How are you ladies @Mrsass and @Finley02 X X X

Finley02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That's so exciting! So glad everything went well Hun! I remember when I was where u was only felt like yesterday. Enjoy every moment ! And make sure you get prints and dates of all your scans, so nice to keep!

Glad u spoke with consultant. I'm ok thank u hunny. Can't believe I'm 22 weeks this week, literally don't knew where the time has gone lol. Bloody sugars are much better since I've increased my basal. I'm feel very pregnant lol xxxx

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ahh that's fab @Sarahkylie88 my dates changed between my early scan and my 12w so it's possible yours might too

I asked for an internal scan for my first one as I have the weakest bladder in the world and had such a phobia of filling my bladder for scans but the sonographer said it was fine to do an ultrasound even though I didn't have much in my bladder, obviously I've not had a choice for all my other scans and it's absolutely killed me to fill my bladder each time

It's so amazing when you see it for the first time isn't it, I thought it looked like a little jelly bean so that's how I referred to baby for a while haha

Glad you've had some pump adjustments done, as I've said before you will probably find its never ending I think at all of my appointments there has been adjustments done for my insulin

I've been to midwife this morning to do my birth plan and have a listen to baby, everything all good apart from she terrified me that I'm measuring 38w (am now 35) so god only knows what my final growth scan will say on Monday when I go she said consultant might want to induce me at 37w, but she did try to reassure me that measurement is never really accurate and the scan will give a better idea, although I wouldn't be surprised because my belly has gotten hugeeeeee in the last few weeks, I'll attach a pic for you to see my latest 'bumpie' lol

@Finley02 is so right about how fast it goes I remember my early scan too n feel like it was 2 seconds ago - that was November - and it felt like it was aaaaaages until now! Xxx

e2f2987db08f4989291e268dfd499487.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Awe look at your bump! It's so cute! They talked about a c section for me at 36 weeks but let me go to 38!

I absolutely hate filling your bladder for a scan just so they can push REEEEALLY hard on it when they scan you! Internal scan was actually more comfortable surprisingly! She said that's the only scan I will be asked to fill my bladder for... I think she was lying!

I've got my little bean scan so cute!
I do think time has gone pretty fast so far! Just want to get to 12 weeks now so I can tell people! I'm not very good at telling fibs! Haha! Got so many social events coming up in the next few weeks, we have had nothing for months! Typical! Haha! U must be getting excited now @Mrsass? I'm sure I'll be Joining you in feeling very pregnant very soon @Finley02!!

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah the wait for the 12w scan seemed to be the longest time, like you say just so you can tell everyone, mine was a couple of days before Christmas I was so relieved because I knew all the family I would have been visiting over them few weeks would have been saying do you want a glass of wine? And finding it extremely odd that I didn't! Lol

Yeah I'm really excited but it's all suddenly become so real after only really focusing on pregnancy and bg's, now I'll actually be having a baby just can't wait for Monday so I know what's going on and when I'll be going in, it's my 30th on the 29th I just hope it's not then - obviously not that I'm going out partying but I don't want her to come on my birthday selfishly lol xx

Elc1112

I was so unprepared for the hypos in the first trimester! My insulin requirements decreased dramatically and I seemed to be constantly hypo. Even more scary was the fact that my hypo awareness diminished - thankfully only at night, but still scary. The hypos continued until around 18 weeks for me, but they have then levelled out.

Just keep testing and, fingers crossed, they will get better soon!

Congratulations on the pregnancy, by the way. Bet you must be excited :)

Em x