VICTOZA users

shahbazp

Re: VICTOZA

Good news for me about Victosa. My NHS surgery is prescribing it. I have been using it for the last six weeks, and my original twice daily injections of Lantus, 25u mornings & 35u nights, has been reduced to 15u & 20u. I gather though that there will soon be a once weekly injection followed by a once monthly soon after. My promised weight loss has not kicked in yet, but I am hopeful. The future for us is bright. SP.

eastender56

Hi, I have just been taking Victoza whereas before I was on Byetta but the side effects were horrid. I took Victoza for just over two months however, although having to inject only once a day and not having to take it an hour before food was great I did have side effects similar to Byetta although they did stop after about three weeks, the only problem was that it did not keep my sugar levels down as much as Byetta did and so I am now back on Byetta and the level stays at around 5/6 whereas as I mentioned earlier, my levels went up and down and some days it was 17 and 20 and on other days 7 and 8 but with Byetta it is most days at between 5 and 7 although I do get the shakes and feel sick and have terrible bowels on Byetta.

Joyce

tony parrish

I started this on Wednesday 13th Jan 2010, was told how to use the needles & how it works & given a nice booklet from the NHS nurse. The side effects were skipped over so I was quite suprised to find that loss of appetite (which in my case is good as I am large)was the start of a few others like wind, (both ends)dizziness, headache, nausea, vomiting, Constipation (ok after three days) , Abdominal pain upper(due I think to the wind) bile in the throat,& extreme fatigue.The wind side was the worst. I am still on the lower dose .6mg for another week after speaking with the nurse.

After a visit to the docs to see if I could find out any more(no joy) & tried to get more needles & Victoza on pescription this drug is so new that they had trouble finding it to pescribe it. I cant work due to the side effects but will carry on regardless as in the film for another two weeks & keep you posted. Today is tuesday 19th Jan 2010 After a bad evening yesterday with vomiting,Abdominal pain upper,dizziness, headache, nausea,sweating I feel reasonable but still very fatigued & balance not right, no pain in tummy & wind eased for now(night time is worst) Wednesday 20th Jan most of the side effects gone apart from tiredness going to ask to be put up a dose to 1.2 to get sugars down although they have dropped slightly feel the higher dose will sort me out (gone from 13-15 am to 9.5 - 11.5 am reading on the .6 dose)21/1/10 started my higher dose 1.2 mg this morning feeling slightly light headed but fair apart from that. regards Tony

nana_lil

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hi

just joined as I was at clinic today and the doctor has prescribed me this medication. My diabetic control is rubbish (my fault) and now my blood pressure and cholesterol are rubbish too (my fault again).....so I need to go to my doctor and pick up px then back to hospital on Tues to see nurse who will instruct me in its use. I googled it tonight and your site/forum was top one so here I am :lol:

Am looking forward to Tues and hope I dont get the side effects but I do get the weightloss! Will go and look over the rest of the forum.

Lil

tony parrish

Good morning lil,
hope you are well & not having the side effects I did? I am over the worst for now & asking to go up to the standard dose of 1.2 today lets see if it affects me if they allow it will keep you informed regards Tony

lacedup

After a 6 month wait, I have finally been given Victoza today. Admittedly a bit nervous of getting constipation/flatulence/nausea, but as long as it wears off soon, I can cope. Was on Byetta over a year back, but it made me so so ill.

If this can reduce my weight and my levels, then it is all good! :D

Fat Tony

Dislikes
hospitals
VICTOZA

Hi I am on my 4th day of victoza as my diabetes has been way off the scale.Still getting high bm's 20+ I was wondering if any one out there on victoza can tell me how long it took for their bms to come down.No major side effects yet as sore stomachs have been ongoing since comencing metformin

sharmam

Hello fellow T2s

I am on my second day of Victoza experiencing horrible headaches and stomach pains but have been told this should only last 3 weeks from my diabetes nurse (heres hoping) I had been on Byetta for a year and a bit so I am a dab hand at feeling sick. Does anyone know how long this will last? I know its probably different for each person, even if it is an approx. I would very much appreciate the help and advise.

Heres to happy health for everyone :p

tony parrish

Fat Tony said:
Hi I am on my 4th day of victoza as my diabetes has been way off the scale.Still getting high bm's 20+ I was wondering if any one out there on victoza can tell me how long it took for their bms to come down.No major side effects yet as sore stomachs have been ongoing since comencing metformin
i am on victoza for 10 days & its just starting to bring down bm to 11 regards Tony

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I am starting Victoza on Monday 25th January, I am a little in awe at the side effects everyone is experiencing. I am on a variety of drugs too, methotrexate is one of them (cytotoxic cancer drug) that made me feel sick so I suppose I am used to the queasy horrible feelings. I live in hope that this drug will aid me in weight loss, I had already lost 6 stone but the diabetic meds made me put weight, but now I am at a standstill and need to lose a further 6 stone. I will keep you informed about the side effects [if any] hopefully I will be lucky. I am taking a few days off at home to make sure I don't get dizzy or sick, I have such a busy life I don't think i'll have time to be ill.

samdalley

Hi Everyone,
I've been on Victoza for 6 days now but first some history: I've been type 2 for about 13 years now. Up until last April I was on tablets but my control was poor although readings weren't as high as some on here, probably averaging 10 - 12.

Last April, I was prescribed Insulin - something my doctor was reluctant to do because I was well overweight, about 240lbs and 5' 9". However, Ive managed to buck the trend and have lost weight, about 20lbs so far. The Insulin was a revelation, I felt so much better than I had for years and had far more energy. It took a couple of months of trial and error before my control came within recommended levels and it's now been pretty good since October.

Before Christmas I was asked if I would like to try Victoza and now after some thought I've been on the starter dose for 6 days. I have to say that, so far, I have suffered few side effects. I did suffer some diarrhoea and sickness last night but I think that I ate far too much and of the wrong thing, I've also had one short spell of dizziness. And that's it, no feeling of nausea, no headaches or any of the other listed side-effects. I do expect to feel some more symptons when I increase the dose but sincerely I hope they're manageble. My blood sugars have been slightly higher than when I was on the Insulin but nothing to worry about. Here's to step two :)

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Thanks for your story Samdalley I hope you'll be okay on the 1.2 dose, I am starting on Monday with the 0.6 dose, so hopefully I will tollerate it, but I am not going to dwell on it too much because I think fear sometimes makes you think of the worst.

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Day 1 of taking Victoza, I don't know how long I have to wait to maybe feel some of the effects of this drug? but it's been about an hour now and I feel ok...so far! I made sure I ate my breakfast before hand and take my meds too just in case I felt sick.

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Day two...no real problems to report only that I have had aching muscles, that might not be due to the victoza though! my BG levels are fantastic, but after walking the dog last night my BG levels were 3.6 so had to eat a biscuit when I got back, otherwise everything looks good. :D

Fat Tony

Dislikes
hospitals

First week on Victosa and a miracle my BM's are now starting to come down fasting bm is 14.
I have also found that my appetite has decreased so hoping that the weight will now come down at present my weight is about 28 stone so I do need to lose.I have tried all the diets and potions without much success.
Still no major side effects,so hopefully will not experience any.
will keep you posted of any weight loss

manxangel

Dislikes
Loud and brash people and arguments

I'm a type 1 who is using victoza alongside my lantus and novorapid.

The nausea i find is overwelming. but have to stick with it!! been on it 3 days.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

manxangel said:
I'm a type 1 who is using victoza alongside my lantus and novorapid.

The nausea i find is overwelming. but have to stick with it!! been on it 3 days.

Hi.
This is from the European Medicines Agency who have licensed Victoza for use in the EU.

Were you aware of this:

4.4 Special warnings and precautions for use
Victoza should not be used in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus or for the treatment of diabetic
ketoacidosis.

If not perhaps you need to discuss this further with whoever prescribed the drug.

manxangel

Dislikes

I know it is unlicensed for type 1. However my diabeteoligist said that it would help lose some weight and help my insulin sensativity. They have had great results using it with type 1. Very careful monitoring at the moment.

sharmam

Hello All

Day 5 on Victoza my bg in the morning is 6 was 10 on Byetta, only prob is bad headache does anyone know if I can take ordinary headache pills with the headaches I assume yes, but if anyone has any suggestions would appreiciate them. I will be increasing my dose from 0.6 to 1.2 on wednesday day 7 as instructed by my diabetic nurse - hopefully side effects are not too bad, how long do these side effects last does anyone know?

good health to all :D

manxangel

Dislikes

I wad told any problems should vanish in two weeks. Stuck with it. I am on 0.6 moving up on Friday. Not had one Reading over 8 yet and I'm really pleased with the effect. Good luck!