uni placement, worrying :/

diabetic_tigs

Hey everyone,

Im a fresher at uni, doing BA social work...
Im just about to start (in a weeks time) my 5 month placement for my course, working with adults with learning disabilities... really excited about it, BUT rather anxious at the same time!
The placement means about 2 hours ish travelling each way, meaning an earlier start than normal,so breakfast earlier, more stress (especially as i will be depending on public transport!) and later tea time, as well as being in a environment of which i've had no experience before... eek.

My sugars are quite volatile at times, so was just wondering if anyones got any advice on what to expect, what to do if it goes all haywire, and if theres anything i can do in advance to help myself?

Any suggestions/tips much appreciated
x x x

xAngelax

Dislikes
being skint!
Hey
Im doing social work at uni 2! in my 2nd year at going on a placement in febuary at a childrens residental unit and i have the same worries as you.
I had a placement last year but it was quite close to my house so got up at normal time and we normally got to leave at 3 so didnt really have to change my routine! nd i was on 2 injections then now im on 4!
All i can really say is make sure you have breakfast before you leave and you have your supplies on you incase train get cancelled etc and just make sure you have things to treat a hypo in yor bag.
Good luck on your placement
xx

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Hi ya, one idea could be to take your breakfast with you? I take porridge to work every day in a flask and eat it when I am ready (usually at about 9am, I leave the house at 7am so it stays warm if you get a decent flask!!) also, bananas and other fruit are handy to carry for snacks as well as breakfast if you are running late :) if you are on the train, perfect place to eat your porridge (as long as you can find a seat!!)

Good luck :D

diabetic_tigs

Hi

Thanks for both your suggestions, much appreciated :)

Im guessing its really going to be a case of common sense and taking it as it comes to start with.. I was supposed to go in today for a sort of practice run, but because of the snow it was cancelled, meaning monday will be my first day.

Hopefully i'll be able to eat before I go, as i tend to drop quickly in the morning if i do much before having breakfast.

xangelax - did having diabetes affect you on your placement at all?

Many thanks
x x

xAngelax

Dislikes
being skint!
aww i hate the snow its so annoying!
it didnt really affect my placement no i think maybe because i was only on 2 injections at the time so i didnt have to worrie about doing injections and we got quite a lot of breaks so was able to eat when i had to.
Try not to worry about it if ur organised and have everything you need with u u shld be fine!
Good luck for monday!
xx

jopar

Try not to worry about it all, don't want more stress than you can avoid..

But yes common sense should get you through..

Just remember to carry plenty of snacky type foods (more so with the whether as it is now) plenty of what ever you use for an hypo..

Remeber you insulin, meter and plenty of test strips...

I would do more test throught out the day for the first week or so, until you build a picture of how you BG's are reacting, this will also help you be proactive in avoiding any hypo's...

If you take long acting insulin in the morning, keep this to the same time as moving this around will faff up your control, if this means that you have to take it while traveling, then try to get the time as near as normal when it's convienient to do so.. If moved keep a very close high on your BG's...

On your first day, let the person that you will be working know that you are a diabetic, and what to whatch for that might indicate a pending hypo...

If you have any meetings to attend then ensure that you take a BG before starting and ahve something ready to munch if you have to, near at hand..

You will must likely find that the thought of it all is a lot worse than sorting it out, as you are having to think ahead to a certain extent, about all the things we do automatically everyday...

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your placement

Nearly forgot, don't forget to write down your data, BG's etc, so that if any problems that you can see whats goiong on...

MuhammadII

Good luck.

Good breakfast and snacks are the main thing.

Making sure other's are aware.

Planning your journey's

Noting down when those dodgy sugars pop up.

After a while, bet it'll be second nature.

Just a general question: Is there a specific forum for Diabetic students?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
MuhammadII said:
Just a general question: Is there a specific forum for Diabetic students?

Hi Muhammud. No, there is not. There is Type 1 and Type 2 areas plus the Diabetic Youth Club, there is also the chat room if you are interested.

MuhammadII

Thanks for the reply.

As a second year student, I feel that university is a big step forward and think that the experience has a massive effect on diabetes. Fortunately, my first year went well and I eventually decided to move out for this year (Which so far is working out fine)

Having said that, I felt it was quite challenging at the beginning. In hindsight feel that more should be done to prepare diabetics for student life. The stressful workload, increased responsibilities and fun experiences whiling trying to manage diabetes is sometimes overwhelming.

Nevertheless, I feel that diabetes should not come in anyone's way for whatever they aspire to do in life. I met another diabetic who came to my university (at the start of term last year) who found it too difficult to continue studying and so postponed his studies for a year to learn to adapt better.

In addition to this, I also read this article http://www.nursingtimes.net/whats-new-in-nursing/primary-care/study-calls-on-nurses-to-support-students-with-diabetes/5007297.article which demonstrates my concern.

So if their are any University students reading this, could I ask for your opinions on the matter?

(Thanks for reading the essay)